Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Update:

Guy in LA called and said that he would call back when the part arrived to setup a time to come and look at the saw. He was thinking it part would arrive around Tuesday next week.

Tracy

Comment

A miracle may occur. A service center rep is supposed to show this afternoon. However, when I called them yesterday, he said he just got the parts kit and needed to talk to someone because he didn't know what he was supposed to do with it, what tools he may need, etc. Didn't give a warm and fuzzy at the time. Guess I'll find out later?

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
        A miracle may occur. A service center rep is supposed to show this afternoon. However, when I called them yesterday, he said he just got the parts kit and needed to talk to someone because he didn't know what he was supposed to do with it, what tools he may need, etc. Didn't give a warm and fuzzy at the time. Guess I'll find out later?

Big G
        The service centers have a special login area on the Ridgid site where they can download the complete instructions (with color pictures!) and tools needed to check/replace the arbor.

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post

Big G
          So far I have talked to 3 service guy's.
          The first one had his phone disconnected???
          The second one called from Oregon, bit of a drive to Webster,MA.
          The third from Hartford was to call yesterday, never did!
          It's 80-90 miles from Hartford so at the labor rates around here are 80-90 dollars/hour. Your talking $400.00+ considering time/distance etc. They don't seem to want to do the calls. I called HIM and the minute I told em who I was they said the guy was busy call back in a day or two! The first guy is only 20 miles away and gave me the runaround for a week. He said ridgid sent the kit with no instructions, then disconnected phone, right!
          Getting old. Will call Ridgid again today.

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by BuckB View Post
            So far I have talked to 3 service guy's.
            The first one had his phone disconnected???
            The second one called from Oregon, bit of a drive to Webster,MA.
            The third from Hartford was to call yesterday, never did!
            It's 80-90 miles from Hartford so at the labor rates around here are 80-90 dollars/hour. Your talking $400.00+ considering time/distance etc. They don't seem to want to do the calls. I called HIM and the minute I told em who I was they said the guy was busy call back in a day or two! The first guy is only 20 miles away and gave me the runaround for a week. He said ridgid sent the kit with no instructions, then disconnected phone, right!
            Getting old. Will call Ridgid again today.

Buck
            Don't waste your time trying to call today, it seems like they're closed for Labor Day. I thought that was next week?

Comment

Jeez, I hate that you guys are getting the run around on the service guys. I figured that would be the easiest way to go, just to get them to come out and test and or repair!!

In my case there was a center 30 miles away and one 40 miles away in the other direction, and neither one was interested in coming out. I really thought that would have been the best and cheapest solution for TTI/Ridgid.

Maybe you could get your HD manager involved to help you get it resolved?

Comment

It is obvious to me that Ridgid was in no way prepared for the recall when they announced it. Nor are they at all geared towards equipment that can't be carried in for repair.

As for their customer service department....I have been waiting since the 19th for parts to arrive for my repair. As I had been told 4 different times that the parts had been shipped...finally requested to talk to the supervisor on Monday and asked her for the tracking number. Was told they would not provide the tracking number. But, was assured that the parts were scheduled for delivery 9/1 (yesterday). Guess what? Still waiting for the service folks to call me. Not gonna hold my breath. Not gonna buy any other Ridgid equipment either.

Comment

One happy ending...............

Service guy showed yesterday afternoon. Did the little torque test which it passed and I figured the fiasco was over but was still apprehensive about the old arbor. He then said 'well I don't trust their little test so I'm replacing the part'. He removed the 202lb top, with wings still on it, and did the replacement. Checked the blade for 90/45 accuracy and was on his way. Owner of the company just called to see if everything was satisfactory. This is a big loser for him and he doesn't even sell Ridgid woodworking machines. Tries to take care of HD customers though.
                  Back to making sawdust.

Big G

Comment

Done. 45 minutes start to finish. I did pass the arbor test he performed, but I told him he needs to replace it while he is here so he does not have to come back out next year. He agreed and did the replacement. This guy traveled 80 miles one way to get here. I don't know why others are posting nobody will travel 30 miles to do it. I guess I just had a decent company. I feel good it’s completed; now I can get back to work.

Red
                    Red

Comment

Gentleman I am new to the woodworking field, I don't have a table saw; but I do have miter saw, circular saw, 2hp router and a variety of bits. How really important is it to own a table saw ? I see several projects I would like to build, but owning a table saw is it really that important ?

Comment

Originally posted by RD3 View Post
                        Gentleman I am new to the woodworking field, I don't have a table saw; but I do have miter saw, circular saw, 2hp router and a variety of bits. How really important is it to own a table saw ? I see several projects I would like to build, but owning a table saw is it really that important ?
                        Yes you can "get by" without a table saw. I have a very small shop and contemplated not getting a table saw, but instead using a nice guided track system for my circular saw (such as that from EurekaZone). I'm sure I could do most if not all of what a table saw could do. But after adding up the cost of the guided track system, I found I could buy the Ridgid R4511 table saw for less money, especially during their Ultimate Power Deal going on now ($450), and it takes up no more space than dedicated track table for the circular saw.

What the table saw can easily do is give you very accurate cuts that are exactly square and precisely reproducible if you need more than one piece. With a simple jig, you can then also get very accurate mitered cuts. With a dado blade, you can also do easy dados and rabbits, but your router table could do those also. Also a big plus for the table saw is dust collection. My circular saw always coats the room with sawdust. With my dust collector attached to my table saw, there is no escaped dust, just a few grains that end up on the saw table top.

I've only owned my table saw for a few months, but I am extremely glad I decided to buy one instead of going with the guided track system. It's just a really neat tool and the R4511 is not too big of a space hog.

I almost forgot about safety. I realize a table saw has the potential to be a very dangerous machine - another reason I was considering the track system. I was mostly concerned about kickback. I believe a riving knife is mandatory for safe operation as well as an easily removed/replaced blade guard. By learning the correct techniques in using a table saw, I've lost my initial fears and now treat it with the cautious respect it deserves.
                        Last edited by DaveWoodWork; 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM. Reason: Added paragraph on safety

Comment

Thankyou Dave I appreciate that bit of advise !

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
                            Done. 45 minutes start to finish. I did pass the arbor test he performed, but I told him he needs to replace it while he is here so he does not have to come back out next year. He agreed and did the replacement. This guy traveled 80 miles one way to get here. I don't know why others are posting nobody will travel 30 miles to do it. I guess I just had a decent company. I feel good it’s completed; now I can get back to work.

Red
                            Red, glad you got your saw repaired and back in action!! I thought it weird that no one would come out for my saw, and figured the money offered from Ridgid was not enough incentive for the repair shops, or maybe the customer service people were not making a concerted effort to call more than one shop.

I almost bailed when offered either a refund or a replacement saw. I'm glad that I opted for the replacement saw. It really is a good saw and not just for the price I paid.

Comment

Update on my R4511 situation. After a two week wait I received a telephone call from a repair center here in town. But......Ridgid shipped the parts to the wrong company (not the company that had agreed to do the repair onsite). They shipped them to a "depot" facility.

But, after some discussion they have agreed to try doing an onsite repair for me. We are trying to work out a good date/time (problem was that Ridgid indicates it is a two man jpb...the instructions tell them to remove the top).

I am trying to work out with them to try it with the top on (as I don't want to go through a full realignment).

That is all for now.
                              Last edited by tomapple; 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM. Reason: spellin' (just washed my hands..can't do a thing with them)

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                                Update on my R4511 situation. After a two week wait I received a telephone call from a repair center here in town. But......Ridgid shipped the parts to the wrong company (not the company that had agreed to do the repair onsite). They shipped them to a "depot" facility.

But, after some discussion they have agreed to try doing an onsite repair for me. We are trying to work out a good date/time (problem was that Ridgid indicates it is a two man jpb...the instructions tell them to remove the top).

I am trying to work out with them to try it with the top on (as I don't want to go through a full realignment).

That is all for now.
                                It is not as easy to do it with the top on, but it can be done. That is how I did mine. You will need to use a 4" 2 jaw puller as that is the best way to remove the old arbor, and press in the new one. Whole thing can be done in less than a half hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X