This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

I was told by Ridgid 3 times that a service guy was lined up and would call me that day or the next. They never called. Waited 5 day's for the first and 3 for the third. The second was a mistake, he is in Oregon, I'm in Mass.
    I called today and some Ridgid rep fluffed me off. He said "it takes time you know, the recall was only a few day's ago". Never gave me time to explain about the 3 attempts to get a service guy lined up. Call back at a later date!

Buck
    Last edited by BuckB; 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckB View Post
      I was told by Ridgid 3 times that a service guy was lined up and would call me that day or the next. They never called. Waited 5 day's for the first and 3 for the third. The second was a mistake, he is in Oregon, I'm in Mass.
      I called today and some Ridgid rep fluffed me off. He said "it takes time you know, the recall was only a few day's ago". Never gave me time to explain about the 3 attempts to get a service guy lined up. Call back at a later date!

Buck
      Buck, at this point you may want to ask to speak directly to a supervisor at Ridgid, as you are getting the run around, or you could take the path that worked for me and get your HD manager to handle it for you.

In the case of HD it all depends on the managers willingness to get involved, and I may have been very lucky with mine, but man it sure was nice to have all my issues resolved with one phone call.

Comment

Sorry some of you seem to be having so much trouble. I called Ridgid this morning and after a 10 minute wait (many people probably were waiting for CS to open after the long weekend) I spoke to a rep who didn't give me any runaround. Said she would find a Service Center and call me back. Ten minutes later she did, gave me the info, said she was mailing the parts out and that I should hear from the service center when they get the parts. I confirmed that the service center will travel. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by jkfar View Post
          Sorry some of you seem to be having so much trouble. I called Ridgid this morning and after a 10 minute wait (many people probably were waiting for CS to open after the long weekend) I spoke to a rep who didn't give me any runaround. Said she would find a Service Center and call me back. Ten minutes later she did, gave me the info, said she was mailing the parts out and that I should hear from the service center when they get the parts. I confirmed that the service center will travel. So far so good.
          I called Ridgid several times. The ladies were very helpful and concerned. No problems with Ridgid! The first service guy said he would call when the parts came in. I called him 4-5 day's later and he claimed he received a shaft but no directions. He said he would get the directions from Ridgid and to call back the next day. Called the next TWO day's, on both the phone was disconnected. Called Ridgid. They called a guy in Oregon, i'm in MASS? OK a mistake, no big deal. They found a service guy in CT., said he would call the next day. Waited two day's, no call. Called Ridgid again, they said they called the CT guy, told me he would call that day if not,the day after labor day. Today is the day after Labor day, no call. It's 4:30 PM. While posting this I decided to try another call. Found some one at the CT facility that knows about the recall. He said he would have the owner call me tomorrow. We shall see what we shall see?

Buck

Comment

I called Ridgid several times. The ladies were very helpful and concerned. No problems with Ridgid! The first service guy said he would call when the parts came in. I called him 4-5 day's later and he claimed he received a shaft but no directions. He said he would get the directions from Ridgid and to call back the next day. Called the next TWO day's, on both the phone was disconnected. Called Ridgid. They called a guy in Oregon, i'm in MASS? OK a mistake, no big deal. They found a service guy in CT., said he would call the next day. Waited two day's, no call. Called Ridgid again, they said they called the CT guy, told me he would call that day if not,the day after labor day. Today is the day after Labor day, no call. It's 4:30 PM. While posting this I decided to try another call. Found some one at the CT facility that knows about the recall. He said he would have the owner call me tomorrow. We shall see what we shall see?

Buck
            I just had my saw (CD 0835) inspected and repaired by Rotti's Power and Service, located in Holden, MA. Mapquest shows they are 43 mi from my house, but only 25 mi from Webster, MA. You might suggest to Ridgid that they check with them (Ridgid identified them for me after 3 calls). The very nice repair guy said they've been getting a lot of calls about these saws. The test and repair took about half an hour. I had taken the wings off the table before he got there, since I needed to re-level them anyway.

BTW, my arbor failed the test. There was a fine, hair-line fracture at the end of the arbor after torquing to 50 ft-lbs. Make sure you inspect the arbor in good light after the test - a fracture like mine could be easy to miss.

Good luck!

Comment

I called Ridgid 5 times over a two week period. Each time I was told that I would be called back. It took a while, but finally one of the service reps did call me back with the name of a repair shop located about 50 miles from where I live. That person called after a couple of days and this morning he came out to do the test and repair. My saw failed the test. The end of the arbor shaft broke off way before 50 ft. lbs. of torque was reached. So, the repairman and I removed the top (definitely a two man job) and replaced the shaft. It took more than the 1/2 hour that some people have cited but it was not particularly difficult and the saw seemed to weather the procedure without a whimper. I could have done it myself in a leisurely afternoon (with someone to help lift the top off of course). The replacement shaft was pretested and it has very little runout as did the original.

Comment

I am glad to finally hear that some repairs are getting made. Frustrating, with all the waiting and phone calls and such, but good to know that bad arbors are getting pulled out and safe ones put in.

I guess I'll be forever curious as to whether mine would have passed or not. Now that the replacement has been assembled, fairly well tuned, and been in use, its sort of just a memory. New saw works fine, and assembled well with no real complaints, though I hope one day they will quit with the split fence rails. Just not a fan of it, but not a deal killer either.

Comment

Hector from Minute Tool Company just called me saying they got the part from Ridgid (11 days later) and they are coming by tomorrow, on Saturday, to inspect the saw. Woo Hoo! I'm glad they could do it on Saturday, it saves me having to take time off from work to be there.

Comment

Yea! They came out this morning and tested the arbor. It passed. But the guy replaced it anyway so he wouldn't have to drive down later to replace it (52 miles).
                    Just in time too, I just got the freud dado blade (SD208) from Lowes for $45 (price matched a reciept on sawmillcreek.org, no affiliation)

Comment

So, last week Ridgid CS rep took my call and said they would be shipping out the parts to the service center that day and they should have it in a couple of days.

So I called today and of course they don't have it. Called Ridgid and by chance spoke to the same person. She very pleasantly researched it and after some determined questioning as to whether the order had actually shipped, admitted that it was on order from the supplier. What she meant when she told me it would ship that day is that she would, that day, put her little piece of paper on some pile or orders to be shipped. Oh well. Waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by cv223 View Post
                        I just had my saw (CD 0835) inspected and repaired by Rotti's Power and Service, located in Holden, MA. Mapquest shows they are 43 mi from my house, but only 25 mi from Webster, MA. You might suggest to Ridgid that they check with them (Ridgid identified them for me after 3 calls). The very nice repair guy said they've been getting a lot of calls about these saws. The test and repair took about half an hour. I had taken the wings off the table before he got there, since I needed to re-level them anyway.

BTW, my arbor failed the test. There was a fine, hair-line fracture at the end of the arbor after torquing to 50 ft-lbs. Make sure you inspect the arbor in good light after the test - a fracture like mine could be easy to miss.

Good luck!
                        Don't know why Rotti's phone was disconnected according to Verizon. In any event the service rep from Hartford call again to tell me they would come to me tomorrow between 9:00 - 9:30 AM. I have a work table on castors 37" high. If worse comes to worse we can slide the top onto it and wheel it out of the way. After wards I can check for bevel etc. Then again it may pass the test. I will have my mag., glass handy!

Buck

Comment

Don't know why Rotti's phone was disconnected according to Verizon. In any event the service rep from Hartford call again to tell me they would come to me tomorrow between 9:00 - 9:30 AM. I have a work table on castors 37" high. If worse comes to worse we can slide the top onto it and wheel it out of the way. After wards I can check for bevel etc. Then again it may pass the test. I will have my mag., glass handy!

Buck
                          The guy from Hartford arrived when promised. He tested the arbor shaft to 60' lbs of torque. No problems! Now I can dado without worrying about it. He left me a new nut. A nice guy!
                          All's well that ends well.

Buck

Comment

The only R4511 left in my local Home Depot is recalled and they can't sell it. Does anyone know when Ridgid is going to start shipping saws with the corrected arbor? I'd like to get one before Christmas.

Comment

They have been shipping corrected units since July... They have probably just sold the ones they could and the recalled one is left. I would ask Why have they not done an RTV to get it out of inventory?

Comment

Can HD order one for me or do I just need to shop other Home Depot's. Also are there any sales expected in the near future?

Comment

Working...
                                X