X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Anyone have any advice on how to get the herc-U-lift base to function. The U bracket receiver will not engage with the lock. It is aligned properly,however the locking mechanism cannot lower itself enough to engage due to getting stopped by one of the cross bars. Thanks for any advice-I'm stumped.

Comment

Double check your assembly as it sounds like you may have one or more pieces assembled incorrectly. In particular, make sure you haven't overtightened the 4 corner bolts. They just go on far enough to sit flush with the end of the bolt. Also, make sure that they are attached underneath the mounting point, and not on top of it,.
      Brian

Comment

50Share,

Like Brian said, loosen the bolts that attach the Hercu-Lift to the saw stand. If you do that, you will find that with the extra play you get, you can pull the Hercu-Lift pedal forward (all you need is about 1/16th to 1/8th inch), thereby creating more clearance between the latch mechanism and the cross bar (which is the part that is 'jamming' the latch - same thing happened to me). Also, you'll have to adjust the U-bracket out a bit to match up with the pedal's latch.

Chris

Comment

Thanks guys-I loosened up the screws as suggested and it works like a champ!

Comment

This past week, was told by Ridgid rep. that their R4511 saw is no longer available! Anyone know the story why?

Comment

The reason given at some Home Depots is that the R4511 cost too much to ship due to the weight of the granite. I have also heard that HD and Lowes are both concentrating more on product aimed at contractors and less expensive home owner saws, such as the $200 and under Ryobis, as opposed to more serious woodworkers. For example, I never even saw a 4511 at my local HD where I am pretty often, or nearby Depots, until two were put on clearance in January, and I had been drooling over the saws for at least a year.

Comment

Anyone else having trouble getting ridgid to follow through with the repair? I keep getting told I will be contacted by a someone but nothing happens.

Comment

I question the arbor testing. Torque is applied while a slug simulates a full dado. A metallurgist or engineer may know the answer. I do not, but wonder whether the test merely confirms the strength of the arbor shaft at the point proximal to the arbor nut. I don't believe that torque is equally spread across the length of the shaft. What if you are cutting a narrow dado and using less blades/shims? In that case, the nut is in a different location on the shaft. Has that location been tested?

Update: Rethinking the issue, I don't see a problem. Check with a mechanical engineer, but I believe that maximum torque will be applied to the shaft in the same place regardless of the width of the dado blade/blades. That being where the blade effaces the shoulder of the arbor shaft. (If it does. I do not recall if the blade rests against a washer that rests against the shaft's shoulder, but point of max stress should be where torque is first transmitted to the shaft.) IMO. I am no expert.
                  Last edited by Klawman; 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM. Reason: Update issue

Comment

Originally posted by toecat View Post
                    Anyone else having trouble getting ridgid to follow through with the repair? I keep getting told I will be contacted by a someone but nothing happens.
                    I see you bought yours around April of last year and had a bowed fence problem. I assume you are talking now about the arbor shaft. How long has it been since you requested service per the recall notice, how many times have you spoken to One World Technology, when was the last time and what was said?

Comment

anyone know if the recall / repair is covered for 2nd owners ..?
                      I am buying a used 4511 that may be in the recall zone
                      thanks Larry

Comment

My guess is that the recall would cover anyone. It is a huge safety issue and Ridgid isn't going to want blades flying off the saw and injuring you even if you're the 10th owner.

The best way to find out a definite answer is to call Ridgid at 1-800-4-RIDGID and they'll get you all set up.

Chris

Comment

• Do they really make a table saw with a granite top?

Comment

Working...
                          X