Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Originally posted by TreySea View Post
    Good timing. I have the CD0836 model as well and was in the process of researching dado blades for the saw. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent dado blade set that's not too expensive?
    I bought the freud SD208. Good reviews and decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D208-8-I...0695600&sr=8-3

Comment

I spoke with Ridgid Tech support this morning, and what I am getting out of it is that there was a weakness in the shaft near the end of the threads. That is why this is only being seen when you stack a dado set on and the nut is out by the end of the shaft. As the nut is tightened down against the blades, it wants to stretch or push the threads away from the inner part of the shaft possibly causing a fatigue and eventual breakage.

Comment

I still suspect as I did when the problem was first reported in the forum that it is a hardness issue. If it were a thread cutting issue, they probably would not have isolated it to just dado sets causing the pop-off. It would probably also happen when you tighten the nut on a saw blade as well (as the thread form is the same throughout the part).

I think the parts are too hard on the ends (possibly cooled to quickly) or they were heat treated and were supposed to be "drawn" back and did not go through that step...

Comment

Just off the phone. There is no service center close to me. They want me to take the saw back to HD and work out an exchange.

So I'll just pick it up and set it up in the back of the pickup. Right.

But I'm stuck. Where am I going to get a saw like this for $452.55? That's what mine came to as part of the deal. Made a nice looking zero clearance insert. Got my low profile riving knife for the Shark guy. Got a piece of UHMW set up on the fence. Fixed a little platform on the fence to hold my Bench Dog push stick and my Grrippers. Sweet rig. Cuts like something 3 times that price. A little underpowered but I can work around that.

Comment

I would not put up with that. I would call the 866 number again and ask for a supervisor. Nicely explain to them that you are not going to load up a 450 lb saw and return it. Point out that the official CPSC document states "contact One World Technologies to schedule a free on-site repair" and that is what you are doing.

If that does not suffice, explain to them that your next two moves will be:

#1 to log into the CPSC web site and in the incident report portion let them know that it appears that they are not going to repair yours as stated.

#2 (if you paid for the purchase with a credit card) dispute the charge. That will light a fire on the Home Depot side to get something resolved.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Ridgid and they couldn't find a service guy willing to come to my house, so they said I could take it back to the HD that I got it from, 30 miles away and get a full refund.
              I don't use a dado, and the price point of $450 was a good deal for the saw, so will have to think about whether to keep her or go through the hassle of returning and getting another saw, which will cost me more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
                I just got off the phone with Ridgid and they couldn't find a service guy willing to come to my house, so they said I could take it back to the HD that I got it from, 30 miles away and get a full refund.
                I don't use a dado, and the price point of $450 was a good deal for the saw, so will have to think about whether to keep her or go through the hassle of returning and getting another saw, which will cost me more.
                Yeah I think Ridgid/TTI/whoever needs to start hearing about how this is a safety issue for the consumer, NOT the consumers responsibility to fix it.

At WORST I would expect Ridgid to arrange with HD to come deliver a new saw directly and pick up the old one at the same time.

We arent talking a cosmetic issue or an easily replaceable part. We're talking about a sharp blade possibly (albeit unlikely, but still possible) flying off at 3450RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
                  I'm not going to keep this one. I'll never have piece of mind. I think I might just ask for my money back and tell them to come get it at their convenience.

I was just over on the Grizzly site. They have an acceptable alternative in the G0661 at $795 including shipping. A little bit more power and a much nicer fence. Riving knife, some sort of dust collection, 36 it rip.

I'm wired for 220v now so I might go for the the 3hp G0691 which has a very nice fence, better than a Biesemeyer. Full blown cabinet saw for $1295 delivered. Probably a better saw than the SawStop PCS but without the blade break of course. Then I'd be done with it for life.

Comment

I just found this post on the LumberJocks Forum http://lumberjocks.com/Speednork/blog/7624 Sounds like this is a similar problem Steel City had to deal with as well. I am guessing both Arbors came from the same vendor.

Comment

Seems like they've known about this issue for a while. I'm glad no one was injured during the time it took to put through the recall. I really like my saw and know I wouldn't find anything as nice for the $450 price (plus an extra $130 to get a low profile riving knife and removable blade guard - something they should have included with the saw).

My first choice is to have them come out and fix it on-site. If that's not available in my area, I'd probably just like to get the new arbor and replace it myself. Seems to be a lot easier than exchanging the saw for a new one from Home Depot. At least I know my granite top is nice and my fence works beautifully.

Such things are what keeps life interesting.

Dave

Comment

If they will send a new arbor shaft I wonder if I will still have zero runout after I cobble it back together?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
                          Seems like they've known about this issue for a while. I'm glad no one was injured during the time it took to put through the recall. I really like my saw and know I wouldn't find anything as nice for the $450 price (plus an extra $130 to get a low profile riving knife and removable blade guard - something they should have included with the saw).

My first choice is to have them come out and fix it on-site. If that's not available in my area, I'd probably just like to get the new arbor and replace it myself. Seems to be a lot easier than exchanging the saw for a new one from Home Depot. At least I know my granite top is nice and my fence works beautifully.

Such things are what keeps life interesting.

Dave

Due to the serious nature of possible consequences if a shaft does break, I doubt that Ridgid will allow owners to replace this recall item themselves. I would think they will want traceable results through their "authorized service centers". I don't see them issuing a waiver along with a new shaft to be signed and returned by the saw owner. That is probably why they are willing to go through the expence of a full refund if you take the saw back to HD, however unreasonable we all know this action to be. There is definitely not an easy solution to this situation for anyone involved.

Comment

They could supply the arbor lift support bracket with the arbor shaft, pulley and so on already installed. Surely this is an acceptable alternative. We wouldn't have to mess with bearings or the keyed pulley.

If I have to haul this back to HD it will definately affect the likelyhood that I will every purchase another Ridgid product. Something of a hollow threat I realize since my garage shop is already full of orange. There wasn't much left to buy actually.

I was looking at the trundle setup last night trying to figure out what could be done. No way this saw only cost only $450 with that fairly beefy cabinet mounted trundle. The arbor thing could happen to anybody I suppose. What a shame.

Comment

Ridgid needs to recognize that all of the R4511's that suddenly flew out of HD stores the first half of the year was not due to HD customers impulse buying them while walking the aisle...it was due specifically to word of mouth on woodworking forums. That is what drove the sales. And it can dry them up and kill all "orange" woodworking tool sales for a very, very long time just as quickly.

I suspect that very soon Ridgid will realize the magnitude of horrible PR that is going to rain down on them from all over the internet (dozens of woodworking forums have posted the recall and those same forums will soon be flaming the hell out of them over their telling customers to take the saw back to HD).

Once this realization sinks in, would not surprise me if they cut a deal to ether pay Home Depot to pick them up if needed...or contract with a nationwide service company that will go to the users and make the repair.

Comment

Agreed Tom,
                                I thought about it last night to decide what I wanted.

I like the unit. It does well for me and my projects, and I don't need a 3hp at this point, so I want them to take care of their problem and not shove it off on me, since it is their responsiblity.

Hopefully the poor response they gave me and quite a few others yesterday was lack of prep on the first day of the recall.

Hope they will re-think their response or it can really negatively affect their credibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X