X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Hmm... Sounds like a lot of folks working themselves up into a frenzy, saying stuff like, "if Ridgid doesn't do this or that, then it'll be the end of them," and other such stuff. I tend to discount knee-jerk reactions from folks.

FYI, I called in this morning about my saw (week #CD0832), and the nice lady (Chris) took my information down, put me on hold, and looked everything up. She came back on and told me that she was waiting to hear back from the repair center to see if they could come out or not. She then told me that if they didn't do on-site work, that she'd go down the list until she found someone who would or until she ran out of repair centers within my area. If THAT happened, then she said that I could take it back to HD and they would authorize a refund or replacement, whichever I wanted.

That was at about 8:45 this morning. I just heard back from her (same lady) at 10:30, and they're sending out the kit to a local repair facility, who should call me within the next day or two to set up a time to come out and do the repair. She also said that if I haven't heard from them in that length of time I should call the owner of the repair outfit and work with him.

Sounds to me like Ridgid is doing what they need to be doing.

Just a comment on customer service. My experience has been (from both sides of the customer service counter) that you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. If a customer goes in ranting and raving and making threats, then they typically have a TERRIBLE experience, since honestly, nobody wants to deal with a horse's butt. On the other hand, if you treat the folks at customer service like they're decent, honest people, who are trying to do a good job, then my experience has been that they'll usually bend over backwards for you.

Nice costs nothing. Neither does a smile. Neither does politeness. All three will earn returns in inverse proportion to their cost.
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
      They could supply the arbor lift support bracket with the arbor shaft, pulley and so on already installed. Surely this is an acceptable alternative. We wouldn't have to mess with bearings or the keyed pulley.

If I have to haul this back to HD it will definately affect the likelyhood that I will every purchase another Ridgid product. Something of a hollow threat I realize since my garage shop is already full of orange. There wasn't much left to buy actually.

I was looking at the trundle setup last night trying to figure out what could be done. No way this saw only cost only $450 with that fairly beefy cabinet mounted trundle. The arbor thing could happen to anybody I suppose. What a shame.
      Personally I would rather mess with just taking off the arbor nut, pulling the pulley off and then sliding out the shaft. The bearings should stay in position by themselves. I have an idea the front bearing is pressed in, and I know the back bearing is held in with a pan head screw. This seems a lot easier than pulling out the whole lift support which is an adjustable dovetailed unit. Besides, I am thinking the shaft can be removed without removing the top. I DON'T want to go through THAT again.

Comment

That's great for you DOW. And I have got a service company in Austin that will come by my place to repair mine. Great for me.

But, what you are calling "knee jerk" is not that at all...it is the folks that have been told by Ridgids customer service department that they do not have any service company that will come and repair their machines, so their option is to take the saw to HD. Expressing displeasure to this is not a knee jerk reaction. It is totaly understandable that folks that have invested a great deal of time in getting equipment assembled and tuned properly don't want to dissassemble and load the 450 pound beast back up and return it.

And once again, I refer all to the official Ridgid recall press release on U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commision news release letterhead and I quote "contact One World Technologies to schedule a free on-site repair". Do you see any disclaimer in there about where applicable? Anything about major markets? Anything about "where we have a service center so inclined to come to your house"? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
          Agreed Tom,
          I thought about it last night to decide what I wanted.

I like the unit. It does well for me and my projects, and I don't need a 3hp at this point, so I want them to take care of their problem and not shove it off on me, since it is their responsiblity.

Hopefully the poor response they gave me and quite a few others yesterday was lack of prep on the first day of the recall.

Hope they will re-think their response or it can really negatively affect their credibility.
          They may rethink it but we're only talking about early adopters that have certain saws and are too far away from service centers. That's a subset of a subset of a subset. I'm not mad at Ridgid. They didn't plan this, they and Steel City are good companies and were blind sided on this deal. They have a tough business decision and it might not go my way. I can live with that.

I'm really starting to look at this as an opportunity. I've had a taste of a better saw and I'm thinking that maybe 1.5hp is not enough. Maybe this is fate telling me to go ahead and get a cabinet saw that will handle anything I can throw at it and I'll be done with it for life. I just called Grizzly and they can have the G0791 at my door in 5 to 6 business days. The only problem is the green might clash with the orange.

The next few days will tell the tail. Interesting times indeed.

Comment

As stated yesterday, my saw is one of the recalled ones. I contacted Ridgid yesterday and they gave me a number for a local repair shop to call out. I called them and was told that they do not do home service. I went to my local HD service desk and explained that I was not going to sit on the phone pushing buttons all day so that Ridgid could keep giving me useless numbers and that they (HD) sold the saw to me and they should make arrangements for the repair. After a few phone calls to Ridgid and some suggested repair shops that would not perform home service, HD decided it was a waste of time to continue. I was offered a full refund or a new saw. Because I was going to need to deal with them regarding a hairline crack in the main granite table in front of the blade insert anyway I accepted a new saw. Home Depot picked up my old saw and delivered my new one this morning. I'll have to assemble another one but I am satisfied with the service I received.

Comment

Guess this what I get for just having to be the first one on block to have this cool granite saw. I'm old enough to know not to buy brand new models of anything! Damn it!

Big G

Comment

When I called Ridgid service this morning, they said they would arrange for someone to come out to check my arbor to see if it needed replacement and replace it if necessary (my saw is CD0837). They said the local servicing company should call me within a few days to make an appointment. We'll have to see what happens.

Comment

When I called Ridgid yesterday morning about this (my saw is CD0837), they were just going into meetings to get a heads up themselves on this recall. The Tech told me that all service centers had been notified, and gave me the number and address of the one nearest me, which is a small vac and small appliance repair shop. I called them, he had not been notified. He called Ridgid, called me back to tell me Ridgid told him to come out to my house to see if he could make sure it was a bad arbor shaft. How is this guy supposed to tell that! Mine isn't broken...yet. Anyway, Ridgid is sending this "authorized repair center" a couple shafts. We'll see how this goes. This guy said he doesn't make "house calls". My problem is that I bought my saw used, so I can't get HD involved.

Comment

Just back from Home Depot. They will give me my money back and they will come pick it up. Waiting now for the delivery guy to call and set up a time. The saw is out in the driveway now with a tarp over it (thunder showers in Southeast Texas for the next couple of days).

They will not exchange it. I can buy a new one for retail if I so desire. And of course I don't so desire so I'm about to call the nice man at Grizzly.

Come on in, the water is fine.

Comment

Seems One World Technologies Inc. / RIDGID "was" aware of this for quite some time. Hence the date codes between CD0829 and CD0837 and the "Arbor Inspected” sticker directly above the plate or an orange square on the outside of the package, prior to recall.

They knew, but the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission brought on the recall. And then One World Technologies Inc. / RIDGID "cooperated". A "voluntary recall"??

Flying saw blades Batman... thanks for NOT letting us know EARLIER One World Technologies Inc. / RIDGID .

Trust Lost, Thank Goodness nothing else!!! bye bye One World Technologies Inc. / RIDGID, forever..

When it's sounds to good to be true ( R4511 ),, it probably is..
                      Last edited by woodruf; 08-20-2009, 11:29 PM. Reason: ommited One World Technologies Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
                        They will not exchange it. I can buy a new one for retail if I so desire.
                        According to the written warranty, "During the first 90 days after the date of purchase ... you may return the tool to the dealer from which it was purchased for a full refund or exchange". After 90 days, you must either take it in or ship it to a Ridgid authorized service center where they will "either repair or replace any part covered under warranty, at their option, at no charge to you."

While they are not committed by warranty to come out to your house to either exchange or repair your saw, the weight of the tool makes anything else unreasonable. They'd take a serious hit to their reputation and future sales if they did not act in the customers best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
                          According to the written warranty, "During the first 90 days after the date of purchase ... you may return the tool to the dealer from which it was purchased for a full refund or exchange". After 90 days, you must either take it in or ship it to a Ridgid authorized service center where they will "either repair or replace any part covered under warranty, at their option, at no charge to you."

While they are not committed by warranty to come out to your house to either exchange or repair your saw, the weight of the tool makes anything else unreasonable. They'd take a serious hit to their reputation and future sales if they did not act in the customers best interest.
                          But this is a RECALL - "Due to Laceration Hazard"
                          Why on earth would they not try really hard to make this right.
                          Reputation is everything...
                          Safety behind a spinning blade is everything,, also..
                          Last edited by woodruf; 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post

They tried but they couldn't find a service entity willing to come to my house. At least they are going to give my money back and pick it up.

I've been thinking. I may not jump on a new Grizzly just yet. I'm an avowed Festoolian. Maybe it's time to prove to the world that you don't really need a table saw, just a really good guided saw. And in a pinch I still have my old 23 year old Craftsman jobsite saw, affectionatly know as the Kickback Queen. Say, I wonder if they would let me keep the fence off of the R4511? It does have my UHMW plastic on it after all. Maybe I could fit it to the Queen. I'm going to take it off and leave it on the floor in the garage. If they don't mention it, I won't mention it. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                              Personally I would rather mess with just taking off the arbor nut, pulling the pulley off and then sliding out the shaft. The bearings should stay in position by themselves. I have an idea the front bearing is pressed in, and I know the back bearing is held in with a pan head screw. This seems a lot easier than pulling out the whole lift support which is an adjustable dovetailed unit. Besides, I am thinking the shaft can be removed without removing the top. I DON'T want to go through THAT again.
                              Not a chance. You'd never get the pulley back on with it's key working from the door or the top. The lid has got to come off.

Comment

I received my written recall letter today and the envelope said it was from Techtronic Industries, a company I was unfamiliar with. To read an interesting history of this company, see this link . They started out in the 1980's as an OEM manufacturer that set up plants in China, making some tools for other companies to sell under brand names such as Craftsman, Ridgid, Superbroom, etc. By 2000 they started buying up other companies so they could manufacture and market the products directly. These brands include Ryobi, Homelite, Milwaukee, Hoover, and Dirt Devil. They also bought up the part of Emerson Electric that made Ridgid benchtop, stationary, and most handheld tools and renamed it One World Technologies, aka OWT (the vacuums, air filtration, and plumbing tools are still made by Emerson Electric). TTI had over 3.4 billion dollars in sales for 2008 and has remained profitable throughout this recession.

I was wondering if Ridgid could afford to have a large recall. I guess I have my answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X