X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Yeah, for a lot of us its a tough call, like someone else mentioned, and its still early in the recall to see how they will handle it. A rep told me 1200 saws were in the recall, but who knows that could be office gossip.

I called another rep today in customer service as the one I had yesterday could only suggest taking it back to HD for a refund. The new rep was nice, as was the one yesterday, and we had a good talk and he is going to see if he can line up a repair call. It may not happen, but will call him tomorrow and see if he was able to do it.

If the repair call doesn't work out, I guess I would hope that HD would pick up the unit, as I really don't feel I should disassemble it and chance damaging it on the return ride.

I do like the saw and a repair would be ideal, or an exchange if they would be willing, but since I got it on sale for $450 that might not fly.

A Grizzly would cost me about an extra grand to get the one I like the specs on, and I'd have to run a 220 line. At this point that is more saw than I need, but the situation is what it is and I'm not mad at anybody, just would like a resolution to the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
      Not a chance. You'd never get the pulley back on with it's key working from the door or the top. The lid has got to come off.
      What would make you say that. The key, if it was made correctly, and the slots in the pulley and shaft correct, will allow the pulley to slide off and back on. If it is a little difficult coming off, it could at least be dealt with and finessed while the new shaft is still out of the machine. The pulley is supposed to be a slip fit item, being locked on by the key and a set screw, and the whole shaft assembly locked into place with the jam nut on the outside of the pulley. The whole assembly can be tilted to 45* to make this process easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
        What would make you say that. The key, if it was made correctly, and the slots in the pulley and shaft correct, will allow the pulley to slide off and back on. If it is a little difficult coming off, it could at least be dealt with and finessed while the new shaft is still out of the machine. The pulley is supposed to be a slip fit item, being locked on by the key and a set screw, and the whole shaft assembly locked into place with the jam nut on the outside of the pulley. The whole assembly can be tilted to 45* to make this process easier.
        Good point. I forgot about tilting. I'm going to go try it right now. What have I got to loose?

Comment

It's not happening for me. The pulley came off just as you said but all three of the bearing retainer screws are factory stripped. I'm stuck. The lid comes off.

Comment

Did you try just pulling the shaft out from the blade side? I wouldn't think there is any reason to remove the back bearing.

Comment

Did you try just pulling the shaft out from the blade side? I wouldn't think there is any reason to remove the back bearing.
              I looked for some other type of set screw and found nothing. I banged pretty hard on the shaft and it never budged at all. So if there's nothing else to unscrew how hard do you have to bang?

Comment

It is possible that the shaft is a press fit in the front bearing but not the back, and that is why the back is held in with screws. My big old bosch router had a press fit on the front bearing. This prevents runout or slop due to the side loads from cutting. So I am assuming you had the arbor tilted up and were hitting a block of wood on the back of the shaft? Did you notice if the front bearing is coming out of the housing at all? I would love to have the repair manual right about now.

Comment

It is possible that the shaft is a press fit in the front bearing but not the back, and that is why the back is held in with screws. My big old bosch router had a press fit on the front bearing. This prevents runout or slop due to the side loads from cutting. So I am assuming you had the arbor tilted up and were hitting a block of wood on the back of the shaft? Did you notice if the front bearing is coming out of the housing at all? I would love to have the repair manual right about now.
                  It's not moving at all. Feels like there is a retaining set screw or C clips or something.

Doesn't make any sense does it. The lock nut, pulley and spacer keep it from falling out on the blade side. The arbor flange keeps it from falling out on the pulley side. It should come right out with a few taps. But no soap. I hit it pretty hard, as hard as I intend to.

Comment

Here's a link to a web site illustrating dis-assembly of a table saw arbor and bearings. While it's not an R4511, it seems very similar in construction.

Table Saw Alignment - Changing Arbor Bearings

Since I've not done anything remotely similar to this before, I found it informative. I think I'll let the service rep handle it if possible.

Comment

I believe that your 2nd and 3rd sentences are just a little backward. Getting late. You are hitting it from the pulley side right?

Comment

I believe that your 2nd and 3rd sentences are just a little backward. Getting late. You are hitting it from the pulley side right?
                        What did I say? No, I'm hitting from the pulley side. I figure the arbor flange is definitely fixed to the shaft so there's no way it's going in that way.

Once I get this done where am I? Maybe I can get a shaft from Steel City? Not bloody likely, talk about a can of worms.

Comment

The other thing you could try is driving a slotted wood wedge between the back of the blade flange and the front bearing housing to try to pull the shaft out that way.

Comment

I thought they were going to come and pick up the saw anyway. Is there another service center near you that you could get them to order the shaft and then you could just pick it up?

Comment

I thought they were going to come and pick up the saw anyway. Is there another service center near you that you could get them to order the shaft and then you could just pick it up?
                              I'm waiting for the HD delivery guy to call and schedule. There are service centers within 100 miles of me. I guess I could try.

Comment

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
                                I'm waiting for the HD delivery guy to call and schedule. There are service centers within 100 miles of me. I guess I could try.
                                sent you a pm.

Comment

Working...
                                X