X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
    Here's a link to a web site illustrating dis-assembly of a table saw arbor and bearings. While it's not an R4511, it seems very similar in construction.

Table Saw Alignment - Changing Arbor Bearings

Since I've not done anything remotely similar to this before, I found it informative. I think I'll let the service rep handle it if possible.
    Checked out the site. If that's the way you do it I'm wasting my time. And there's certainly no way it can be done with the top on. He's removed the arbor support bracket from the trunion assembly in order to get at it to press the shaft to press it out with a bearing puller.

I'm going to put it back together now and go to bed and dream sweet Grizzly dreams. They also have a sliding table saw with a scoring blade for under $3000.

Comment

I just got through checking out this site also. Thanks go to Dave. Have fun with your Gizzly dreams Frank. I bought my saw used, so taking it back to HD is not an option. Guess I'll stop by Harbor Freight this weekend and pick up a puller. I wanted to go there and get a dial indicator anyway. I could just take my chances, as I don't have a dado set, and don't plan on buying one. I do find myself starting the saw now without standing directly in front of the blade. About the worst thing you can do is be afraid of the tool you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
        I just got through checking out this site also. Thanks go to Dave. Have fun with your Gizzly dreams Frank. I bought my saw used, so taking it back to HD is not an option. Guess I'll stop by Harbor Freight this weekend and pick up a puller. I wanted to go there and get a dial indicator anyway. I could just take my chances, as I don't have a dado set, and don't plan on buying one. I do find myself starting the saw now without standing directly in front of the blade. About the worst thing you can do is be afraid of the tool you are using.
        I stand to the left of the blade whenever I start my saw and while Im cutting (if the cut allows).

I'm not afraid of the tool, I believe not standing directly in front of the blade is just basic safety procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
          I stand to the left of the blade whenever I start my saw and while Im cutting (if the cut allows).

I'm not afraid of the tool, I believe not standing directly in front of the blade is just basic safety procedure.
          I am not afraid of knives, only when someone is throwing them at me, with or without warning. Safety First, immediate recall next, not delayed recall, not making money first..
          This whole recall issues and the delay in notification of the potential laceration danger due to defect and greed, scare the bejesus out of me. How could anyone in their right minds trust the companies involved after this.

Comment

Originally posted by woodruf View Post
            I am not afraid of knives, only when someone is throwing them at me, with or without warning. Safety First, immediate recall next, not delayed recall, not making money first..
            This whole recall issues and the delay in notification of the potential laceration danger due to defect and greed, scare the bejesus out of me. How could anyone in their right minds trust the companies involved after this.
            All companies have "delayed" recalls. Just look at the current recall of a baby bassinet, that HAS actually KILLED babies. It took MONTHS for a recall to begin, and a year later there are STILL some of these out there killing babies.

Ridgid doesnt make the saw, the only thing they can do is rely on the OEM to correct the issue. As far as they were concerned, inspecting the arbors was supposed to catch the bad ones. Apparently it didnt. Just because they inspected the arbors back whenever doesnt mean they were necessarily bad. After 3 reports of arbors snapping (including at least 1 very well documented on this forum), the recall was put in place. Sometimes this stuff just takes time.

For all we know the first report WAS the one on this forum. And if you search the thread it wasnt really that long ago. So technically the recall could have been put in place a lot quicker than people might think.

And, no offense, but in your threads about fixing your two 4511s, you took offense to a lot of stuff. Thats fine and all, but there is no need to continually bash Ridgid or the saws you bought. If you dont like them anymore, thats fine. Did you return your two saws? Are they covered under the recall?

There is no reason to continually bash on these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
              All companies have "delayed" recalls. Just look at the current recall of a baby bassinet, that HAS actually KILLED babies. It took MONTHS for a recall to begin, and a year later there are STILL some of these out there killing babies.

Ridgid doesnt make the saw, the only thing they can do is rely on the OEM to correct the issue. As far as they were concerned, inspecting the arbors was supposed to catch the bad ones. Apparently it didnt. Just because they inspected the arbors back whenever doesnt mean they were necessarily bad. After 3 reports of arbors snapping (including at least 1 very well documented on this forum), the recall was put in place. Sometimes this stuff just takes time.

For all we know the first report WAS the one on this forum. And if you search the thread it wasnt really that long ago. So technically the recall could have been put in place a lot quicker than people might think.

And, no offense, but in your threads about fixing your two 4511s, you took offense to a lot of stuff. Thats fine and all, but there is no need to continually bash Ridgid or the saws you bought. If you dont like them anymore, thats fine. Did you return your two saws? Are they covered under the recall?

There is no reason to continually bash on these forums.
              a somber point. reactive or proactive, lose of life then prevention, it's always been done this way..
              not bashing your comment, but rather voicing concern over the reality of these situations.
              Yes, One World Technologies Inc. and RIDGED are bedfellows.

didn't think I was bashing. bashing is without warrant. I'll let others have their say, good day.
              Last edited by woodruf; 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM. Reason: One World Technologies Inc. and RIDGED are bedfellows

Comment

Yup, same answer from Ridgid. No service company in your area will service your saw at your home (even though there is one 20 minutes down the road). Just pick it up and throw it in your back seat and return it to HD. All 452 Lbs of it! And then start all over with the lousy instructions and build and tune another one. Believe they should have known the service companies would not come to your site prior to making that statement in their letter. I'm hot now!

Big G

Comment

I'm still waiting on an answer for my saw. I've decided that if they won't come out to the house, I'll just remove the arbor lift support bracket with the arbor still attached and bring that in for them to service. Two screws to remove the riving knife bracket, two screws to remove the gib and it should lift right out. Has anyone tried this yet?

Does anyone know what specific type of grease I should use when I re-install it?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what grease you would use, but that is starting to look like a good method. Especially since I don't want to remove my top. I wonder if there is any way to get the unit out without removing the riving knife bracket. It took me close to 2 hours to get mine set correctly due to the slope in the casting. Every time I went to tighten the screws, it would shift out of position.

Comment

I own the 3660, and use my Stacked Dado quite a bit. Has anyone encountered any problems on these saws? Were they made at the same plant?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjazz077 View Post
                        I own the 3660, and use my Stacked Dado quite a bit. Has anyone encountered any problems on these saws? Were they made at the same plant?

Scott
                        No issues with the 3660. The precursor to it (3650, made a long time ago) had an arbor issue where the arbor was too short for a dado stack, but thats it. The 3660 wont have that issue nor this new issue that some 4511's have.

Comment

Still waiting to hear on mine as well. I have heard of very very few that are actually getting a repair. I had the extension and 800 number of the rep that I talked to and called him today, until I got through to him, as he did not return my message. I was very nice and pleasant and asked him when he expected an answer on the service calls. He said by the end of today and I again gave him my number to call.

Told me if there was no service call then he would issue an RGA for returning the saw to HD for replacement? Not sure whether at this point whether that means they will replace the saw for what you paid for it. I got mine on sale for $452.

Anyone know if they will do that or do they refund the purchase and if you want another you pay retail price of $600?

Comment

I called the helpline yesterday and spent about 10 minutes on the phone with customer service rep. They contacted the local repair shop and sent them out the part(s) needed. I received a call from the repair shop about 15 minutes after I hung up with Ridgid and was informed that they'll be out to repair my saw as soon as they get the parts. Should be early next week sometime I guess.

Pretty smooth process for me...

Comment

The precursor to it (3650, made a long time ago) had an arbor issue where the arbor was too short for a dado stack, but thats it.
                              This was not the issue with the 3650 arbor. The arbor length is (to some people) short. Yes, it is just a tad short in that you can not mount a full dado stack and use the OEM arbor nut WITH the washer. But w/o the washer you get full nut engagement and THAT IS ALLOWED and what is called out in the manual to do if your dado setup is so wide that you can't get full thread engagement. This is a condition that you will see on many other contractor saws too.

The issue with the TS-3650 arbor was over the last thread (near the arbor flange) and it being cut a bit deeper than the other threads. This resulted in (with some dado sets) one of the chipper blades dropping down into this deeper thread which would cause the one chipper blade to cut slightly deeper than the rest of the dado stack. It probably threw the balance off a tad, but no one ever reported a balance problem that I remember. TS-3650 Arbor Issue.txt

You can read more about the TS-3650 issue here:
                              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...51&postcount=1

My TS-3650 has the problem arbor. I bought it in 2003 and have been using it ever since without a problem (as in no parts flying about and maiming people). I work around the arbor issue when using a dado blade by being careful to install a 1/8" chipper next to the left (or inboard) blade. That is the left outer blade when facing the saw from the normal operating position. The 1/8" chipper does not fit down into the single thread so it remains alugned with the other blades. If I use a 1/16" chipper it rests safely on the arbor away from the problem thread and my cuts are just fine.

As far as correcting the problem on the TS-3650 replacement arbors would be installed in saws that exhibited the problems if they were returned to an authorized repair center. I don't remember anything about RIDGID or TTI offering to do on site replacements of the arbor, though many would have liked to be so.

Some people opted to replace the arbor themselves, but (and I don't know this to be true, so don't get crazy on me) by doing so they may have voided their warranty. I do not remember if there was a statement from RIDGID or TTI either way on that, but I know the question was thrown around for a couple days.

The issue with the R4511 sounds more serious to me as the arbor is actually breaking. Were it not for the throat plate this could be ugly. Those of you that use home grown throat plates (on the TS-3650/60) that are not secured to the table should seriously think about adding the lift prevention pin in the rear AND drilling a hole for the hold down screw in the front of the insert. But maybe I am mistaken as I have not looked at a R4511 saw closely (since there are none on display at HD). Does the R4511 have (or need) the lift prevention pin in the rear of the insert? It may not be needed with the design splitter used.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Service center won't come out and fix mine.Rigid said I can take it back to home depot for a refund or exchange.The good news is home depot is even going to come and pick up my saw for free.The big question now is should I have them bring me another one. I love the saw and I still think it is the best saw for the money.I would hate to get another one and then they expand the recall though.
                                What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                                X