Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

    The factory throat plate on the R4511 has screws to hold it in position. I made a zero clearance plate out of mdf, and did not make the slot for the blade and riving knife go through to the back end of the plate. It fits very snug in the opening, and with the knife sitting right behind the blade, there is no problem with lift on mine.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

      Wrenchhead,
      How did you work the HD pick up? Did they offer or did Ridgid include that in the return authorization? I'm asking as mine is 25 miles away and I'm not sure how HD will respond to a request for pickup.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

        I don't think they would need to "expand" the recall as you put it. The problem was identified and was checked for in the following weeks and those saws that came out which were inspected and good were marked as such. They would have also had to search and clear the factory floor of all the bad arbors too to be sure none were inadvertently made their way into a saw during assembly.

        But yes, I agree it leaves you wondering a bit as to what to do.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

          Originally posted by wrenchhead View Post
          Service center won't come out and fix mine.Rigid said I can take it back to home depot for a refund or exchange.The good news is home depot is even going to come and pick up my saw for free.The big question now is should I have them bring me another one. I love the saw and I still think it is the best saw for the money.I would hate to get another one and then they expand the recall though.
          What do you guys think?
          I like the saw a lot also. If I had the option of having HD bring me a new saw at no charge to me, I would probably take it. I am just wondering what they plan to do with all these saws. Sell them as refurbs once they have their techs replace the arbors? Maybe they'll have a 3rd party sell them through CL.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

            I don't think they can sell them the way they are since there is the recall. They would probably ship a bunch to regional service centers and repair them there, then they probably could sell them, but I wonder if the liability is worth it in the long run. Might be cheaper to crush them.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

              Originally posted by Cato View Post
              Wrenchhead,
              How did you work the HD pick up? Did they offer or did Ridgid include that in the return authorization? I'm asking as mine is 25 miles away and I'm not sure how HD will respond to a request for pickup.

              I went to Home depot and made sure they would give me my money back if I brought the saw back in a hundred peices and explained to them that it weighs almost 500 lbs and I would need to take it apart to make it light enough to transport.The manager called Ridgid and then told me that she would take care of getting it picked up for me.

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                Ha, good idea wrenchead, I'll remember that.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                  Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  I don't think they would need to "expand" the recall as you put it. The problem was identified and was checked for in the following weeks and those saws that came out which were inspected and good were marked as such. They would have also had to search and clear the factory floor of all the bad arbors too to be sure none were inadvertently made their way into a saw during assembly.

                  But yes, I agree it leaves you wondering a bit as to what to do.
                  I was a FORD Technician by trade so I know all about recalls.I have seen the auto industry "expand" recalls many times. I think I will take the chance though I like the r4511 a lot and my home depot has really good cust. service.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                    My saw with the date code of CDO838,
                    the arbor shaft end had chipped off recently. I had called Ridgid and they said I was "outside the date code and safe" after telling him about the damage he said he would add it to the recall, but the service center in my area won't come out for repair.
                    He told me to take in back to HD for an exchange. HD was unaware of the recall and they would have to send it out for repair. If I would have known that I would've not wasted my time there and went straight to the service center. Now I'm out the saw a good 3 weeks or more, as a carpenter I use it almost daily

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                      My saw has code CD0837. I have a fruad dodo set and have used it many times without issues? My recall notice was dated Aug 18 also. Too late to call today, will see whats going on on Monday. It's confusing somewhat. They say between 0829/0837. They should state between and including codes 0829 and 0837 if that's what they mean. They could have stated it more plainly. OTOH the serial number may make a difference and is something they have not nailed down yet.

                      Buck

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                        It is obvious. It includes both the codes

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                          Originally posted by wrenchhead View Post
                          Service center won't come out and fix mine.Rigid said I can take it back to home depot for a refund or exchange.The good news is home depot is even going to come and pick up my saw for free.The big question now is should I have them bring me another one. I love the saw and I still think it is the best saw for the money.I would hate to get another one and then they expand the recall though.
                          What do you guys think?
                          If no money has to change hands I'd do it in a heart beat. If you have to pay extra that's another matter and you'll have to decide if you can stand that. I don't think I can.

                          From my perspective there are no saws like this. I've been shopping hard for 2 days. The only thing that makes sense is to go on up to 3hp and pay the man his $1300. Almost three times the price for less than twice the saw in my case. There are no $600 saws with cabinet mounted trunions and true riving knives (except the Steel City). A huge advantage. The $1300 buys me no burning with full kerf blades and a much nicer fence.

                          Did you buy yours on sale? If so are they offering to bring out a replacement with no money changing hands? I paid $452 and they told me at my HD that they wouldn't honor that price. Fine, they have no obligation it's been 90 days. Unless they are doing it for others. HD is one big organism with shoots that pop up here and there, like aspen trees.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                            Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
                            If no money has to change hands I'd do it in a heart beat. If you have to pay extra that's another matter and you'll have to decide if you can stand that. I don't think I can.

                            From my perspective there are no saws like this. I've been shopping hard for 2 days. The only thing that makes sense is to go on up to 3hp and pay the man his $1300. Almost three times the price for less than twice the saw in my case. There are no $600 saws with cabinet mounted trunions and true riving knives (except the Steel City). A huge advantage. The $1300 buys me no burning with full kerf blades and a much nicer fence.

                            Did you buy yours on sale? If so are they offering to bring out a replacement with no money changing hands? I paid $452 and they told me at my HD that they wouldn't honor that price. Fine, they have no obligation it's been 90 days. Unless they are doing it for others. HD is one big organism with shoots that pop up here and there, like aspen trees.
                            I cant see how price paid has anything to do with this. They are recalling a product. If they cant fix it, they should replace it. The only thing I could even think of them forcing you to provide is a receipt to prove you didnt steal it. It shouldnt matter if you paid full price or a manager handed it to you for 50 bux. You bought the product, they recalled it and need to provide you with a fixed product.

                            Id call another HD. If others start balking at it Id remind them its a safety issue and you wouldnt want to have to get a lawyer involved if you got hurt because they wouldnt give you a new saw.

                            No way in heck they should charge you extra, past 90 days or not. Its not like you are returning the saw for the heck of it.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                              Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                              I cant see how price paid has anything to do with this. They are recalling a product. If they cant fix it, they should replace it. The only thing I could even think of them forcing you to provide is a receipt to prove you didnt steal it. It shouldnt matter if you paid full price or a manager handed it to you for 50 bux. You bought the product, they recalled it and need to provide you with a fixed product.

                              Id call another HD. If others start balking at it Id remind them its a safety issue and you wouldnt want to have to get a lawyer involved if you got hurt because they wouldnt give you a new saw.

                              No way in heck they should charge you extra, past 90 days or not. Its not like you are returning the saw for the heck of it.
                              Agreed. Price has no bearing and does not factor into a recall in any way. They must fix it or (as was done in the Radial Arm Saw recall years ago) if the tool is not repairable then they must give you something for your loss.

                              For the old RASs that could not be fixed I believe they gave $100 after you sent in the power head or some arrangement like that was made.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

                                I think a lot of it might have to do with the recall being so new (few days old now?)

                                I think for those that cant get it serviced, it should be a viable option to have their saw picked up and a new one delivered in its place. Nothing to do with pricing, its an even exchange. Regardless of how much you paid to begin with, you had a saw and now you get the same saw but fixed.

                                Im not familiar with the RAS recall, but I would still maintain if the product that needs fixing still exists in a fixed form (the 4511 does), then "your troubles" wont be paid for until you either have all the $$$ back for your saw (which is when price WILL come into play) OR you have a fixed saw, however that has to happen.

                                As the consumer, you should be able to say I want a fixed saw I dont care what it takes. Its Ridgid/TTI/whoevers recall, its their responsibility to make it happen. I think as this recall goes on with time all the ducks will be lined up and HD will be fully aware of what they can, should or must do. Right now they probably have no clue.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X