Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Agreed. Price has no bearing and does not factor into a recall in any way. They must fix it or (as was done in the Radial Arm Saw recall years ago) if the tool is not repairable then they must give you something for your loss.

For the old RASs that could not be fixed I believe they gave $100 after you sent in the power head or some arrangement like that was made.
    They are offering to fix it free of charge. All I have to do is load it up and get it to a repair place. They feel they have absolved themselves.

I asked if I could remove the arbor support bracket, shaft and all, and take that to a service center to have the shaft replaced. They said no, they will only work on the whole saw.

They said they would not give me the shaft. I had to feel good about that.

Comment

Well.....as a TS 3660 owner I'm glad I wont hear bragging about the added "mass" the new saw has for a while

Though I am sad you guys are putting up with this.

Comment

I called the manager at the HD today where I bought my saw and explained the recall and the free service repair that's not happening for me.
        He couldn't have been nicer. Gave me his Blackberry number and told me to come see him Mon or Tues. and he would get his expediter to call and get an RGA over the phone and replace or refund, and send a truck for the saw.
        If they have a crated saw in stock or can get one reasonably soon, I believe I will elect for the exchange and they can drop off when they pick up the other one. That would be ideal for me.

Let you know how it works out, and will keep my fingers crossed that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
          I called the manager at the HD today where I bought my saw and explained the recall and the free service repair that's not happening for me.
          He couldn't have been nicer. Gave me his Blackberry number and told me to come see him Mon or Tues. and he would get his expediter to call and get an RGA over the phone and replace or refund, and send a truck for the saw.
          If they have a crated saw in stock or can get one reasonably soon, I believe I will elect for the exchange and they can drop off when they pick up the other one. That would be ideal for me.

Let you know how it works out, and will keep my fingers crossed that it does.
          Did you pay full retail when you bought it?

Comment

Frank, no I did not and I hope that will not be an issue, but it might. I paid $452 when it was on sale.

Comment

Frank, no I did not and I hope that will not be an issue, but it might. I paid $452 when it was on sale.
              Ditto. My HD already told me they would not honor that price. They are picking up the saw today.

Comment

BobD, not to change/hijack the thread topic off our saw problem, but on the RAS craftsman recall, I never knew about it until a few weeks ago. Went on the Emerson site, called the number and told them I had a Craftsman RAS, and they did not ask serial numbers, nada, just sent me a huge box with a plexi safety guard, and a brand new table top. I was impressed.

Comment

Frank, if they don't give me full exchange then my only choices are pony up the extra 150 bucks or order a Grizzly GO691 or GO690 for $1300, and beyond the extra grand to get it, I would have to run 220v. Thats the only other unit I see that I would want and really for my home projects, so far the 4511 has been all that I need since I'm not a furniture maker at this point just mostly hobbyist and DIY home repair stuff.

Comment

Im not familiar with the RAS recall
                    Again, not to get on a tangent, but since this was asked and to be clear.

The RAS recall had nothing to do with RIDGID or the RIDGID RAS. It was for the Craftsman RAS made by Emerson for many, many years for Sears.
                    You can get the full story at

www.radialarmsawrecall.com

There is plenty of info on the RAS recall elsewhere on this forum, so let's keep it there and let this thread get back on topic (even though I am the one who veered off the path initially by mentioning the RAS recall, Sorry all).
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

I am confused by the back and forth about of what the cost of the saw was, etc.. The purchase price of the product should be of no consequence. Ridgid should repair or replace the device. Period.

This should be an exchange of saws. Not a return for refund and you turn around and have to buy a new one.

Has someone from Ridgid indicated that Home Depot will only refund your money? So if you want to stay with the Ridgid saw, you have to purchase another?

This would defy all logic. Going down that logic path, if you purchased an item on sale for 25% off and it then failed under warranty, they wouldn't do a full repair?

Comment

Frank, if they don't give me full exchange then my only choices are pony up the extra 150 bucks or order a Grizzly GO691 or GO690 for $1300, and beyond the extra grand to get it, I would have to run 220v. Thats the only other unit I see that I would want and really for my home projects, so far the 4511 has been all that I need since I'm not a furniture maker at this point just mostly hobbyist and DIY home repair stuff.
                        Ditto again. I'm going to keep after them for a day or two and if I can get $150 knocked off then great, if not then its the G0691.

The institutional green and will clash with all this orange I have in my garage. I recently wired a sub panel so I've got 220. I'd have to run a new circuit but that's no big deal. They saw the fence on the grizzly is outstanding, better than a Biesemeyer so there's that anyway. I'm going to miss the granite but the Grizzly is just too good a deal. It's the next logical step up from the R4511 value wise. It's the same saw as the Laguna Platinum almost, same factory anyway. The Laguna is a little nicer, dovetail ways in the trunnion. Of course there's always the SawStop PCS.

Comment

yeah........it makes no sense that they would be able to get out of full replacement.

The only possible iffy area would be a closeout item, previously owned item, or open box.

Since these have nothing to do with the current situation I wouldn't even sweat. They'll have to make it right. Though I don't know how transporting the beast will figure in. I'm afraid most will just have to bite the bullet and do it themselves.

Comment

Frank and Cato, are you within your first 90 days? I'm just curious.

Comment

Dave, I am not within the 90 days, but I agree with Chris, Tomapple, and others that the price should be of no consequence. They should repair or exchange for a new unit.
                              So it would stick in my craw if they are not willing to do one or the other, and attempt to tie it into the original purchase price vs. current price. As others have said that should be irrelevant to the recall.
                              Like Frank, I can run a 220 off my main or subpanel, and though it would cost me more to replace the saw, I guess my feeling would be a loss of confidence in Ridgid or OTW/TTI, whoever in that corporate maze is pulling the strings. If they try to get me to pay the difference, I'd go to the Grizzly unit.

Comment

The only possible iffy area would be a closeout item, previously owned item, or open box.
                                I don't think even these situations (quoted above) would be grounds for not honoring the
                                recall. If they sold it for what it is... an operating table saw... they should have to stand
                                behind it with respect to this recall in my opinion.
                                ---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X