X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
    Frank and Cato, are you within your first 90 days? I'm just curious.
    111 days. They just hauled mine off. Like I said, I'm going to keep trying. If I can get an even swap I'll take it. If not I just don't feel good about it.

It's back to the Kickback Queen for the time being. Arbor runout? That' a laugh, you can see the blade wobble. I never got around to selling it. I wouldn't give it away because it's just too dangerous, and I wouldn't want the responsibility. I entertained notions of dedicating it as a dado station but I really don't have the room. It's just been sitting there. It got left outside one night (it has a Herculift under it) and now the stamped steel wings have surface rust. Time to break out the scowering pads.

Is there a classified area in this forum? I have a very pretty beech zero clearance insert slotted by a .09 blade. I also have a Shark Guard low profile .090 riving knife.

Comment

I'll bite what is a "kickback queen"?

I remember someone modded an old TS into a router table, is that a possibility for your old TS?
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Frank, 117 days for me.
        BobD- Frank has an old Craftsman table saw that he has dubbed the "Kickback Queen".
        Actually I do too, just haven't gotten around to deciding what to do with it. An interesting model for them back in the day as its got to be at least 20 years old but it has a digital readout, keypad, programmer, for zero, height, bevel, and amazingly enough it still functions. Mine is not a kickback queen, she is just too hard to get the fence adjusted parallel and the blade with the miter is a little off as well.

Comment

home depot came and picked mine up this morning then called me about an hour later.I went down and they credited my acount.Home depot was really nice and helpfull.I was at 95 days and I had my receipt.

When I took the blade off this morning the end of the arbor broke off.
          Some timing!!!!!!!

Comment

I can agree with your frustration over this whole incident. I don't think I would direct my animosity towards Home Depot though. I am also well past 90 days from my purchase date. At this point in time, it is One World Technology / Techtronic Industries that is obligated to make things right.

If HD is willing to give you a full refund when they are not obligated, I think that is pretty good customer service on their part. They are giving up the profit from your sale. An even exchange is another matter. The saw you bought back in April cost HD a lot less than the saw you would be given today, due to the promotion OWT was running back then. HD would have to eat this difference in cost. The only way this could work would be if OWT were willing to reimburse HD this difference (i.e. sell HD your replacement saw at the promotion price).

Because OWT obligated themselves to on-site repair in their recall letter, they find themselves in an awkward position when their authorized repair centers refuse to come out to your home. There were probably some urgent meetings between the execs of TTI and HD going on this week to see how HD might be able to help out TTI (with whom they have a strategic alliance) meet the needs of their mutual customers. The question is - what did they decide if anything?

My understanding is that a small percentage of arbors in the recall actually need replacement. The rest just need to be inspected and OK'd. What's the least expensive way to accomplish this that will be the most convenient to the customer?

OWT /TTI - If you are reading this post, this is what I would recommend:

1) The preferred method is for on-site repair if available. An incentive bonus should be paid by OWT to encourage as many authorized service centers as possible to perform this on-site repair.

2) If on-site repair is unavailable or not immediately available, you should be able to take your own arbor support bracket with attached suspect arbor into a service center (or ship it) and exchange it for a new one. This is for those people who want a quick fix and are willing to do it themselves. OWT should ship out large numbers of new arbor support brackets complete with installed arbors to all the authorized service centers so they have stock on hand to handle this.

3) For all other customers, OWT should be willing to arrange an even exchange for a replacement saw through HD, including home delivery/pickup.
            Last edited by DaveWoodWork; 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

My bad news story is the same as yours, I tried to get them to send me parts. They said NO. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchhead View Post
                home depot came and picked mine up this morning then called me about an hour later.I went down and they credited my acount.Home depot was really nice and helpfull.I was at 95 days and I had my receipt.

Some timing!!!!!!!
                How far back from the end did your arbor break off? Was it just a few threads, or about half way as I had seen on a Steel City arbor on another forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                  How far back from the end did your arbor break off? Was it just a few threads, or about half way as I had seen on a Steel City arbor on another forum.
                  About 3 threads broke off. I was able to loosen the nut and take it off.When I was removing the beveled washer and the blade, the end off the arbor fell off in to my hand.

Comment

Some timing!!!!!!!
                    Well then you should be all fixed up. Just file off the rough edges and get the threads working and you'll be good go!

HD has been good about this thing. It really is up to Ridgid to make this right for the folks who are out beyond the range of on site help. As I said before we're a subset of a subset of a subset. I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

A piece caming off your arbor does not mean that it can't break again. Get that thing replaced!

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                        A piece caming off your arbor does not mean that it can't break again. Get that thing replaced!
                        It broke when home depot came to pick it up was the best part.I had a frued rip blade on the saw I wanted to take it off before they took it. I still don't know if I am going to get another rigid. I don't like hearing about saws that are out of the recalled numbers having the same problem as others on this thread have stated. I would have a nice grizzly on order but the model I wanted was on back order til mid september.

Comment

It broke when home depot came to pick it up was the best part.I had a frued rip blade on the saw I wanted to take it off before they took it. I still don't know if I am going to get another rigid. I don't like hearing about saws that are out of the recalled numbers having the same problem as others on this thread have stated. I would have a nice grizzly on order but the model I wanted was on back order til mid september.
                          Is it the G0661?

Comment

Which saw was out of the numbers under the recall? i thought the only one I saw in this thread was a week 38, which is awfully close. There are probably more out there built after week 38+ than before. Mine is a week 50 saw, and Im not overly worried. I can understand being off maybe a week or two, but at some point even a blind dog finds a bone (or, TTI gets a corrected arbor into assembly)

Comment

The few of us left here with these saws are going to miss all you deserters.

Good luck in Grizzlyville. I have their 14" extreme bandsaw, and it's a nice mochine.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                                The few of us left here with these saws are going to miss all you deserters.

Good luck in Grizzlyville. I have their 14" extreme bandsaw, and it's a nice mochine.
                                Yeah its ashame!! If they figured 3000 of the saws were recalled, and you figure about half of them actually sold thats 1500. So few in the grand scheme of things but I bet a lot of the owners (or former owners) were on this forum.

I still love mine, just hope week 50 doesnt end up in the recall too.

Comment

Working...
                                X