• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
    Is it the G0661?

Yes I called yesterday afternoon.

I still have a ridgid jointer,band saw and a couple cordless tools. I am not giving up on ridgid.I am not upset that they did not figure out the onsite repair problem before sending out the recall.At least they sent it out before some one got hurt or died.

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchhead View Post
      Yes I called yesterday afternoon.

I still have a ridgid jointer,band saw and a couple cordless tools. I am not giving up on ridgid.I am not upset that they did not figure out the onsite repair problem before sending out the recall.At least they sent it out before some one got hurt or died.
      That G0661 looks like another "best buy" type saw. It has a table mounted trunnion but then so does SawStop contractor. In fact that thing looks every bit as well built as the SS. The reviews look good. Looks like a derivative of the Shop Fox AlumiClassic fence. But if they are back ordered that seals the deal for me. I'm in the middle of a kitchen with another waiting behind it. Fate takes a hand.

I bought this R4511 to be my next to last tablesaw and so it may will be. Ridgid has just hurried things up a bit. I'll call Ridgid one more time on Monday morning and ask them if they will match the 452 deliverd to my door. If they can't then that's my signal to call Grizzly for the G0691. I'm not mad at them but I will be done with them. There's too many fish in the ocean.

Comment

When I purchased my R4511 I believe it was one of the first saws sold thru a HD store, I did not get the great $452 deal that some of you did but I did not pay full retail either. I think is was something like $539 because I agreed to open the charge account. My HD did not question the price at all, they just delivered and picked up my saws, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
          When I purchased my R4511 I believe it was one of the first saws sold thru a HD store, I did not get the great $452 deal that some of you did but I did not pay full retail either. I think is was something like $539 because I agreed to open the charge account. My HD did not question the price at all, they just delivered and picked up my saws, no problem.

This is what (or should I say how) people are expecting to happen. As seamless as possible. I think RIDGID being proactive and getting the word out here on the forum just as they were getting the letters out to HD was good.

IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAS BEEN ASKED FOR HERE IN THE PAST BY MANY.

And now that they have tried to fulfill our wishes, we (forum members) are not giving the system time to react. The notice needs to filter down through channels out to each store, and the people in the stores have to be made aware of it and how to respond to questions from those affected by the recall.

If they (RIDGID/TTI) had waited until all that transpired before they gave us notice here there would have been the same level of moaning and wailing from people asking why in the heck could they have not informed use loyal RIDGID die-hards first?

It's a no-win for RIDGID/TTI but they did the right thing by making the announcement here coincident with the recall announcement I think.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I gotta agree Bob.

People who think an undertaking like this can be done "yesterday" just don't get it.

If you can't tough out a little wait to get a saw like that in order, especially if you got it for less than $500 in the first place, then I don't know what to say.

I'd encourage people to hang in there and show a little patience. This just happened. And if a lot can't be patient, I'd encourage several to save up and get ready for some good prices on some reconditioned saws.

Comment

Same story as most. Still waiting for a call-back from Ridgid to see if another service center 20 miles up the road will come out. You would think that being around a city with a million folks in it that Ridgid would pony up enough incentive to get someone to make a trip to your home? If not, I guess I will visit my hopefully friendly HD store (where I have spent a lot of bucks) and see what they say.

Big G

Comment

I have made 3 calls and still not a call back. I live 2 hours from nearest service center and 2 hours from home depot. I doubt they come fix it, but am going to have to figure out how to load it in a minivan and get it back if they will take it back. I'm kind of stuck. Guess I will wait a few more days and see what Ridgid is going to do.

Bad part is we are going to where I bought it today and could load it and go, but I don't know what Ridgid is going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                  I gotta agree Bob.

People who think an undertaking like this can be done "yesterday" just don't get it.

If you can't tough out a little wait to get a saw like that in order, especially if you got it for less than $500 in the first place, then I don't know what to say.

I'd encourage people to hang in there and show a little patience. This just happened. And if a lot can't be patient, I'd encourage several to save up and get ready for some good prices on some reconditioned saws.
                  Do you think there's a chance that they will honor the $452 sale price from months ago and deliver a new R4511 to my door with no money changing hands? With me, it's not so much impatience as pessimissim. I just figured since it's me wanting it then it's not going to happen so I might as well take my medicine and get it over with quick. Frankly I was shocked that they came and picked it up for free.

I'm conflicted at this point anyway. It's not just the $150 which isn't a huge sum. For me the issue is this; do I really, really want to assemble and tune another 110v saw? I recently installed a subpanel so I've got 220v sitting there. I can swing the extra $800. Sooner or later it's going to happen anyway because I didn't buy the Ridgid to be my last saw. Between now and that indeterminant "later", whenever it might have been, I could have been using a 3 horse saw with the finest OEM fence on the market. It may turn out that by the time it's all said and done not only will I not resent Ridgid for what has happened, I'll probably feel I owe them one for forcing my hand.

For any of you out there who qualify for a refund, you owe it to yourself to go to the Laguna Tools site and look at the videos for their Platinum series saws. You'll be looking not only at the Platinum but also the Grizzly G0690 and 91. They have the same design, and I'm told come from the same factory.

Comment

I'm not sure that pessimism is a good first resort.

You have a product you purchased from the store. They have to replace it or repair it. It's that simple. It doesn't matter what you paid unless it was unusual circumstances.....and a sale isn't unusual circumstances.

Let's say this takes.....1 month.....or even 2 months.....to resolve. The tool is a lifetime product. A year later it will be nothing more than something to talk about.

The biggest problem I see is the possibility that some people can't do without the saw because their business depends on it. In that case I'd continue to use it, as safely as possible, without using dado blades on it, until ridgid lined out a course of action that would work for me.

Comment

As far as "no money" changing hands. All of you are talking about bailing and going to a grizzly.

Is that a free upgrade? If they had a problem, where is the nearest place to service it?

If a service center said they'd pick it up, repair it, and bring it back for a minimal delivery fee would that work for you?

I just think there are way too many things to work out before people start getting worked up.

Comment

There is no reason for anyone to be in the dark about what Ridgid and Home Depot will or will not do regarding swapping out the saws. That is will they come pick them up and deliver a new one..etc...etc.

All Ridgid needs to do is simply post on this forum (same way they posted the recall press release) what the official stance is. In light of the fact that it appears that a large portion of the country does not seem to qualify for the "free on-site repair" stated in the recall press release I believe an official announcement is overdue.

And before some of you start posturing and spouting off the "give them time" rhetoric...they have had plenty of time. They mailed the official announcement to registered users on the 18th. They knew well before then that they were going to do a recall. And they for sure knew that the percentage of users that would receive an on-site repair was very small. (they know that lots of their "repair centers" are actually just drop off locations for regional repair companies).

Comment

wow......5 days ago?

I can't imagine the logistics of trying to make this work.

Comment

Logistics of what? Home Depot is their only outlet for product. They simply contact Home Depot and pay them some fee for picking up and swapping out the saws.

Do you honestly think that management at Ridgid (in between talking to the lawyers about how to word the official recall press release once they had to issue a recall statement) didn't think through the costs and how they were going to go about getting the hazardously faulty product back and replaced.

Folks. This recall wasn't a spur of the moment thing. It's not like last Monday morning a mid level manager at Ridgid came in to work and decided to type up a letter, made copies and mailed them out. They have known for quite some time the possibility of a recall (that is MONTHS) and would have been making plans accordingly.
                            Last edited by tomapple; 08-23-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I see where Rofl doesn't own a R4511. If you did, maybe you would be somewhat frustrated as we are about the whole situation. I think tomapple hit it correct that this thing didn't happen overnight. I also think that with the modern age of computers, they could come back on here and give updates. I wonder if the OP for this thread jumped the gun by posting the recall. When I called Ridgid the next morning, their customer service and tech support hadn't even been given a heads up on this. They were going into meetings as I was on the phone with them. I am sure though, that the big cheeses knew all about this for some time.
                              Last edited by 3rdtime; 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Obviously their first option would be to repair the tool and not to replace it.

Of course swapping a tool would be easy, and totally unnecessary. They will be repairing most of them and the logistics of that is pretty big. Being an authorized service center for a tool doesn't exactly mean that you are just an extension of that company.

And no, I don't have that model. I have to TS3660 and a LOT of other ridgid tools. I know 5 days, with 2 of them being on the weekend isn't enough time for me to get worked up. No news is not bad news.......yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X