X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

If you own an R4511 Granite Top Table Saw, please follow the link below. An issue was discovered that requires user action. Please pass along to anyone that may not regularly visit RIDGID.com or this forum.

http://www.ridgid.com/Download/R4511_PR.pdf

Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

Doesn't Steel City make those saws for TTI? Anyone know if their saws are also being recalled?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It is unfortunate that this occurred, but I applaud TTI and RIDGID for
      putting the word out here and for doing a on-site repair of the affected
      saws. It would be so difficult for people to take their saw to a repair center.

I know that the CPSC directs them to do the recall and make the repair,
      but I think the use of the Forum is something that will get the word out
      faster and help to avoid personal injury or equipment damage.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That does sound like a dangerous situation that should be fixed. It also raises another question about the 3660 though...they supplied a bunch of blades that were thinner than the stock splitter, and caused the wood to jamb on the splitter in the middle of a cut, which you'd think would easily lead to a problem that could cause injury. Anyone know the outcome of that issue?

Comment

Mine falls in the range. Never had a dado stack in it. I couldn't measure the arbor runout on mine, it's less than a thousandth. I wonder what it will be after the "fix". I suppose it's an arbor changeout. I hope so anyway. When and if a technician arrives I'm going to try to get him to stay long enough to check that. What is considered acceptable run out on a table saw arbor?

Comment

I got the news from somebody else few minutes ago (Lee Styron). Amazing coincidence. For the first time, I just inserted my freud stacked dado set yesterday. I could not get it to lower to ¼” inch for some reason and it was getting late and I thought I will continue to look at it on Sunday. Right on time.

Comment

My datecode is CD0847 which is outside the range but I am still a little worried. I am going to call tomorrow.

Comment

I noticed that they only mention an arbor problem when using a stacking dado set and not when you just have a standard blade on the saw. I don't own a dado set anymore. Perhaps there is a weakness toward the outter end of the threaded section of the arbor, and it gets stressed from the overhung loads and forces put on it by the dado set. My saw is at the end of the line with date code CD0837, so I guess I'll make the call.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwood View Post
                  My datecode is CD0847 which is outside the range but I am still a little worried. I am going to call tomorrow.
                  Me too. Mine is CD0839.

Comment

Mine is far from the end of the range (CD0850).....when do we stop worrying and depend on the fact that TTI/Ridgid/whoever got the affected weeks right?

Im actually not too worried, and Im sure they are probably overloaded with calls from people that have saws IN the correct range, so Ill sit back for now.

Hopefully, if they determine its a bigger problem, they will adjust the recall accordingly.

Interesting, though, that the first person to report this issue (in this forum) could point out several differences between the old saw (the one that broke the arbor) and the newer replacement saw. Makes you wonder if the first ones off the boat werent ready for prime time and maybe were rushed because of a leak of it being available?

-Chris

Comment

Mine falls within the range (CD0836). I have used my Freud Stacked Dado Set numerous times without incident. Lucky I guess! I'll be making contact this morning. Good thing we have this forum and people that take time to post and pass on info!!!

Comment

Mine is in there too. Have contacted Ridgid and have now been in contact with the Austin service center they referred me to and of cousre they do not do on site repair and had no idea of why I was calling (despite Ridgid telling me they were emailing them to set up the repair)

So we are not quite ready for prime time here...I suspected the "free on-site repair" statement in the recall notice was too good to be true.

OK, back to 30 minutes on hold with Ridgid.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Ridgid and was assured my saw is safe (CD0847) because they corrected the defect before my build date. I couldn't really get out of them exactly what the defect was or anymore details. So I guess I sould feel safe now?

I am just a glad however because I am really happy with the saw and I have everything adjusted just fine. I have used an Olson 6" dato stack a few times with no problems. I will keep my eyes open here to learn more about this issue.

Comment

Good timing. I have the CD0836 model as well and was in the process of researching dado blades for the saw. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent dado blade set that's not too expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Edwood View Post
                              Just got off the phone with Ridgid and was assured my saw is safe (CD0847) because they corrected the defect before my build date. I couldn't really get out of them exactly what the defect was or anymore details. So I guess I sould feel safe now?

I am just a glad however because I am really happy with the saw and I have everything adjusted just fine. I have used an Olson 6" dato stack a few times with no problems. I will keep my eyes open here to learn more about this issue.
                              Talking to a friend of mine that does a lot of machining work, he mentioned something about cut vs rolled threads. Cut threads will weaken the material, whereas rolled actually strengthen it.

Wondering if Ridgid knows that the OEM switch the way they were making the threads. If you look at the pic from someone who had this failure on their Steel City, the comments were that it was a "weak layer" in the steel that made up the arbor. Again, maybe Ridgid knows when the OEM corrected/updated the materials used for the arbor.

Id think Id be more worried if my saw were 1 or 2 weeks out of the recall dates, but not 9 or 10+.

Comment

Working...
                              X