X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 lowering height issue

So here it. Yesterday, I had to do a dado cut. Stacked my dado set (1/4" width). Tried to lower the height of the blade. It does not go below 3/8". I want to go to 1/4". Just no go. It is so tight. I rotate the wheel and it sleeps on the gear. Any ideas on how to fix this? I never noticed that before. First time i am trying to do a dado. I gave up after couple of tries because I didn't want to break anything. Good thing I gave up yesterday because I just read the recall notice. Whew!

Any ideas on fixing this, let me know.

Thanks.

Re: R4511 lowering height issue

Did you not ever have a saw blade lowered below the table top?

Comment

Originally posted by indianrider View Post
      So here it. Yesterday, I had to do a dado cut. Stacked my dado set (1/4" width). Tried to lower the height of the blade. It does not go below 3/8". I want to go to 1/4". Just no go. It is so tight. I rotate the wheel and it sleeps on the gear. Any ideas on how to fix this? I never noticed that before. First time i am trying to do a dado. I gave up after couple of tries because I didn't want to break anything. Good thing I gave up yesterday because I just read the recall notice. Whew!

Any ideas on fixing this, let me know.

Thanks.
      wow, I wonder if this is with all R4511s ? it's weird that others have not answered your question. i now have a 3rd 4511 still in the crate,, hhmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by woodruf View Post
        wow, I wonder if this is with all R4511s ? it's weird that others have not answered your question. i now have a 3rd 4511 still in the crate,, hhmmm..
        Let's not get carried away just yet. This could be something as simple as
        an adjustment or some sawdust buildup that is preventing movement or a
        chip of wood jammed in there somewhere, or even operator error. We just
        don't know yet and to say "I wonder if this is with all R4511s" is like
        yelling FIRE in a stadium when all you have seen is a puff of smoke with no
        clue as to what caused it.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is obviously not something with "all" R4511s as we have had plenty of folks talk about making zero clearance throat inserts (which of course means the saw blade had to be lowered below the table). Logically if a 10" saw blade will lower below the table, an 8" diamater "anything" would go below the table top as well........

Comment

We have not heard back from Indianrider since this happened. I wonder if there was a chip of wood jammed in the groove that the elevation pin rides in. That would certainly keep the blade from lowering all the way.

As to 10" blades fully retracting, mine does not go totally below the 1/2" throat plate. I don't think any of them fully clear this. A lot of saws are like this. That's why the bottom of some zero clearance throat plates have a relief slot cut in them. That way you can clear the blade when you first make the initial plunge cut to make the kerf.

Comment

I am in the process of assembling my replacement saw that I got yesterday. Both my old one serial #534 and my new one ser# 6049 would lower the 10" blade below the factory installed throat plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
                I am in the process of assembling my replacement saw that I got yesterday. Both my old one serial #534 and my new one ser# 6049 would lower the 10" blade below the factory installed throat plate.
                My blade is well below the factory plate also, but that is only when you look at the right side, which is just a 1/8" plate. My arbor support assembly stops in the down position with a little slop still in the pin, so I know it's not the pin not allowing it to go down further.

It would be interesting to know how low your blade is when you get your saw set up. Perhaps you could put a block of wood across your top and measure down to the top of the blade. Mine is about 3/8" below the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                  My blade is well below the factory plate also, but that is only when you look at the right side, which is just a 1/8" plate. My arbor support assembly stops in the down position with a little slop still in the pin, so I know it's not the pin not allowing it to go down further.

It would be interesting to know how low your blade is when you get your saw set up. Perhaps you could put a block of wood across your top and measure down to the top of the blade. Mine is about 3/8" below the surface.
                  Hmm, while I have not adjusted my height and bevel stop pins yet, I did notice yesterday that when I fully lower the blade it reaches a point just below the factory plate and then the handwheel just freewheels like it has run out of teeth to engage. I will try and check my stop pin adjustments this evening and also measure to see how low the blade will go.

Comment

I measured my blade from table top today at lunch and it only lowers 1/4 below table top.
                    I see what 3rdtime meant about the stock throat plate. Looking at the right side, the 1/8 thick side the blade looks to be well below the top, but the left side is much thicker and my blade does not go lower than the left side of the throat plate.

I have gotten around to adjusting my stop pins yet, so i do not know if they will have any impact on this or not.

Comment

The stop pins are only for the bevel adjustment stops, and have nothing to do with blade height. There is no adjustment for blade position that I am aware of.

Comment

Has anyone made progress on this issue? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the saw but it would be frustrating if the blade can't be made to go 1/2" below the table to clear custom ZCI.

Thanks,
                        Charlton

Comment

I have no issue with the saw blade going below the TABLE surface. Now, for custom ZCI's you need to either route out the back where the blade will be, or use a cheapy 7-8" blade to make the beginning of the through cut and then swap to the 10" blade of choice.

For that matter, depending on what you're making it out of, you could just run a dado down the length of the material where the blade will land and then proceed to cut the length down to give your final ZCI blank length.

Comment

Thanks. So it sounds like this is the case for you (i.e. the blade doesn't go 1/2" below the table top to fully clear a table insert). I know some people have mentioned that their blades go well below the table insert bottom. I guess we'll have to see.

Thanks!

Comment

That is correct. On mine, it stops at around 3/16th below the top of the table, so any material within that arch area of the blade would need hogged out.. Else like I said, just use a smaller blade to start the cut, such as the wider kerf on a (single) dado blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X