X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Dado on TS3612 - 8" vs 6"

Any comments on using a 6" versus 8" stacked dado set with the TS3612? I have been planning to get an 8" set (Freud SD 208) when I buy the TS3612. I have a 6" wobble that I use now with my tabletop saw. On other forums I have read that a 6" set should be used in a contractor type saw due to the amount of power required to drive an 8" set. Don't know that I subscribe to that view.
    Alan
    My Shop

I use an 8" set on mine (2424) and it works great (even in hardwoods).
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I have had no problem with my Freud SD 208.
      <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx</a>

Comment

I have an ancient 7 inch wobble dado blade that I now use with my new TS3612, with no problems.

Incidentally, I keep looking for the problems that are supposed to be there with a wobble blade, so that I can "need" a new stacked dado, and I haven't been able to convince myself that I need to change. Maybe my 25+ year old wobble dado was an unusually good design or something, but I suggest that, if you were satisfied with your wobble dado before, you try it on the 3612.

Comment

Alan,

I have the Freud 6" (SD 206) that I use with my 2424. It works well and I have not yet had a project that would require the extra depth of the 8" dado. I bought mine from Amazon about 1 year ago and got it for about $15 less than HD or Lowes. It makes nice flat-bottomed dados and I haven't had any bad experiences with it at all.

The tips of the 6" dado will not be moving as fast as the blades on the 8" dado (because they are shorter), but I take things nice and slow and it has worked well.

Just my $0.02 worth.
          - Jamie

Comment

Alan,

One more thing to consider...I have had my TS2424 for over 1 year and only recently discovered that my blade was not parallel to the miter gauge. Dave Arbuckle helped me ajust it and it made a huge difference in the quality of cuts and dados. I would suggest that you make sure that whatever dado you choose is both 90 degrees to the table and parallel to the miter gauge.

You would probably have thought of that any way....but it has improved the quality of my cuts tremendously.

- Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie P:
              ... I suggest that, if you were satisfied with your wobble dado before, you try it on the 3612.
              Yes. I intend to keep, and use, it. Just the other day I had to cut some dados in 1/4" Lauan which was of course only 3/16". The 6" wobble was great for that.

With narrow cuts mine seems to be OK. But, the wider the cut, or with multiple passes, my quality degrades.

Jake, any "official" guidelines on the 6" vs 8" debate? I can find the 8" SD208 locally and others report no problems.

Thanks all.
              Alan
              My Shop

Comment

8" dado will work just fine on a TS3612, although if you look at the dadoing that most people do a 6" will be all you ever need.

Jake

Comment

8" dado will work just fine on a TS3612, although if you look at the dadoing that most people do a 6" will be all you ever need.

Counterpoint: The price difference is generally only ten or fifteen bucks, only takes one time to need that deeper cut.

Dave

Comment

I know the SD206 and SD208 are advertised as 1/4" to 13/16". Can anyone who has used these tell me what width you actually get at the 1/4" setting, with no shims? Thanks.

Comment

Another dado question. When it comes to the insert of choice, is the standard dado insert prefered or a zero-clearance insert cut to size. Does it make a difference for this type of cut?

Comment

After reading a post by Dave Arbuckle where he wrote he used a zero clearance insert all the time I decided to make one for some dado cuts I was doing in birch and oak plywood.

It made all the difference in the world.

I have a Freud Super dado and it cuts very cleanly with the insert. I would never use it without it.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

Working...
                        X