X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit whining, -Old Warranty

Well, over the course of the past few months, we've seen much talk about the new warranty and what it may or may not include. Some would like it to contain enough legal mumbo jumbo to fill a book so that they have every single detail spelled out. Some of us that had Ridgid tools before the changeover always commented on gow good the service was.

This morning, I had the need to look at an owners manual for my 3612 saw. This is the exact wording of the "old warranty"

What is covered-

Ridgid tools are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and material.

How long coverage lasts-

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.
    Now, you have to admit that this warranty statement is very vague, and in fact, if you were to drop something on your rails and bend them, one could make a case that you no longer have a saw under warranty.

So, can someone tell me why is it that so many have criticized the new warranty? -and don't go saying that Ridgid doesn't make the stuff anymore or that it's not their product. The Ridgid name is still on it and they answer all of our questions from their offices. These are not OWT people answering questions and moderating the forum.

<edited because of fat fingering>

[ 02-03-2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Mike3206 ]

my powermatic warranty is MUCH MORE VAGUE than that. I'd get it but Im taking a studybreak right now and it'll be distraction to go rummaaging in my basement. But I read it the other day and it was more vague than that. and included things like buyer pays shipping, everything should be examined before return / refund, etc.

However it is never practiced. Their service is 2nd to none as far as I've experienced / heard from others. Again, it really boils down to the company behind the words. Won't know about this new warranty for a couple years or more.

Jake

Comment

This warranty lasts for the lifetimeof teh RIDGID tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.
      Such wording usually means that the warranty doesn't cover normal wear of the machine. Most machines, such as electric motors or the hard drive in your computer, have a Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) rating. This is a measure of how long the equipment can be expected to run before it fails due to normal wear, not a defect in material or manufacture. No matter how diligent you are regarding maintenance, things eventually wear out and have to be replaced. Warranties don't usually cover that.

That said, some companies make efforts, especially in "gray area" cases to make a customer happy and strengthen their name at the same time. But they don't have to with such wording in the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
        my powermatic warranty is MUCH MORE VAGUE than that. But I read it the other day and it was more vague than that. and included things like buyer pays shipping, everything should be examined before return / refund, etc.

However it is never practiced.
        Jake
        Jake, Jake, Jake, Never under any circumstances invoke the use of the word "never". Once used, this word invariably causes one of Murphy's Laws to kick into high gear. I plead with you, take it back, edit it out or delete it all together. Trust me on this. [img]smile.gif[/img] DAMHIKT
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger dave.

Ya got me.. lol. I have never heard of it happening. How's that. Currently they have treated me well and others, and not asked for those additional expenses / hassles. Althought I understand things can ALWAYS change. But they're not trying to be the cheapest tool on the lot so I feel pretty confident they will be able to maintain their quality & service?

better?

Jake

Comment

Working...
          X