X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refinishing a TS3612 top

As some of you know last night I bought a used TS3612 from someone and got it up and running properly today.

The only bad thing about the table is it was obviously only used a few times however was more than likely used as a table judging by the cup circles on the table top.

Today I got some liquid wrench and wd40 and gave it a good scrub down for an hour or so, not a whole lot of difference so I moved on to one of these mounted to my power drill and went over it. Huge improvement and I made sure not to damage the original machining of the cast iron so it still has that nice swirl effect.

What im asking is there a better way to finish the table? I would like it looking as good as possible. Ill be okay with it as is but if I can get it looking like one table top I saw here a long time ago Ill be made in the shade.

Here is a pic of the original top.

Ill post a new one when im done.

Attached Files

Re: refinishing a TS3612 top

some guys mount a scotchbrite pad in an orbital sander and use with wd40.

They say they have good results. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

It's a shame the previous owner took such poor care of his saw but I've seen much worse. You should be able to clean that up without to much work. Looking forward to the "after" pictures.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
        some guys mount a scotchbrite pad in an orbital sander and use with wd40.

They say they have good results. I haven't tried it yet.
        I would wrap the bottom of the saw and any parts you don't want coated with a film of WD-40, but agree this should work.

Make sure to follow up with a good couple coats of wax or other top coating and get int eh miter slots and other places too. I always wax the rails as it makes your fence run like the wind with zero drag. just don't get any on the underside where the lock engages the rail.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ive been working on it for about an hour longer and its coming right along, its tough since the drill gets kind of hot on your hands but so far its taking all the stains away or atleast dulling them significantly.

I should have it done tomorrow and will take pictures, im using mothers metal wax for the table top, I like it alot.

Comment

Make sure the wax you are going to use on the table top is silcone free...otherwise you run the risk of transferring silicone to your projects which can keep wood finishes from properly penetrating and adhering.

Comment

next time, try this stuff instead of wd-40:

http://empiremfg.com/products/otc/ts/index.html

while wd-40 can work, topsaver takes a lot of work out of the process and leaves a finish that is almost like new. i'll post before and afters of my band saw once i get more topsaver. that, and a heavy duty, coarse scrotch brite type pad made relatively short work of 3 years worth of rust on my ridgid jointer. spray a liberal coating on, let it sit for a few minutes and scrub! may take 4 or 5 applications, but the results are worth it. a random orbit sander would probably help if used in conjunction with the scotch brite type pad.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X