Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Woud a highly diluted mix of sulfuric acid and water be okay to clean a saw top?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woud a highly diluted mix of sulfuric acid and water be okay to clean a saw top?

I have some 30/1 mix sulfuric acid that I used on ajob a long time ago, would that be okay to use to clean the top of my saw?

Just throwing it out there, im doing alright with the cup grinder but I saw it and though why not.

Re: Woud a highly diluted mix of sulfuric acid and water be okay to clean a saw top?

actually its muriatic acid.

Comment

Re: Woud a highly diluted mix of sulfuric acid and water be okay to clean a saw top?

Sulphuric acid -- no. Muriatic, maybe.

Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will dissolve rust very effectively, and should not attack the base metal if you use it carefully. However, you will need to rinse it thoroughly and quickly because in the presence of air it will quickly rust again. You'll want to be very careful not to get any of the acid into crevices or mechanism. And, be sure to have ample ventilation, because the fumes will not only get to you, but can cause rust.

You might also consider phosphoric acid (one commonly available brand name is "Ospho"), which will convert the rust to iron phosphate. On second thought, this might not be too desirable on your saw table, as it might leave black stains which might be tougher to remove than the rust.

The main problem with the cup brush (other than overheating your drill) is that it tends to polish the rust rather than removing it.

If the rust is very heavy (to make it worth the effort), and if you can get the table off, and if you have a container in which you can immerse it, you might try electrolytic rust removal (remember, Google is your friend). This might even work without immersion by using pads saturated with the electrolytic solution -- I don't know if anyone has tried this.

Anything you do should be tried in an inconspicuous place first . . .
      Last edited by tjc; 08-20-2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Your cup wheel would be great to knock scale off, but is not ideal for removing surface rust (it is not abrasive). WD 40 and Scotch Brite pads will take it off very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc View Post
          Sulphuric acid -- no. Muriatic, maybe.

Muriatic (hydrocloric) acid will dissolve rust very effectively, and should not attack the base metal if you use it carefully. However, you will need to rinse it thoroughly and quickly because in the presence of air it will quickly rust again. You'll want to be very careful not to get any of the acid into crevices or mechanism. And, be sure to have ample ventilation, because the fumes will not only get to you, but can cause rust.

You might also consider phosphoric acid (one commonly available brand name is "Ospho"), which will convert the rust to iron phosphate. On second thought, this might not be too desirable on your saw table, as it might leave black stains which might be tougher to remove than the rust.

The main problem with the cup brush (other than overheating your drill) is that it tends to polish the rust rather than removing it.

If the rust is very heavy (to make it worth the effort), and if you can get the table off, and if you have a container in which you can immerse it, you might try electrolytic rust removal (remember, Google is your friend). This might even work without immersion by using pads saturated with the electrolytic solution -- I don't know if anyone has tried this.

Anything you do should be tried in an inconspicuous place first . . .
          thanks for the post!

Ill check it out tonight, Im looking for a clean top and the rust isnt that bad so I dont really want any black marks on the top when I can get away without.

Thanks again!

Comment

Lemon juice.

Comment

Hey TJC

I couldnt get the grinder properly to the wings so I took them off and filled a 15 gallon bucket I have with the water and baking soda with my battery charger and its bubbling away!

Ill give you an update on how it goes!

Comment

Man! Nothing like jumping in with both feet . . .

Just check it frequently and stop if you don't like what it's doing. The recipes I've seen call for washing soda (sodium carbonate), not baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Grigorieb View Post
                  Lemon juice.
                  You must have been in the NAVY!!!

Buck

Comment

Use a 50/50 mix of motor oil and diesel fuel. Pour the mix over the table and rub in with steel wool. The fuel, together with the wool, will cut the rust, while the oil will lubricate and help to retard future rusting. Note I did not say eliminate - retard.

Comment

who are you calling a retard?

Comment

Originally posted by tjc View Post
                        Man! Nothing like jumping in with both feet . . .

Just check it frequently and stop if you don't like what it's doing. The recipes I've seen call for washing soda (sodium carbonate), not baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

Most recipes do call for washing soda, but I have used baking soda, and it works just fine.
                        Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
                        X