X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYO Cookies

No, these cookies will not satisfy your sweet tooth, but they will help you get some
    extra mileage out of some scraps in the shop. It doesn't matter if you have MDF,
    plywood, or dimensional lumber scraps to work with.

What you'll need to Build Your Own Cookies:

Materials:
    (2) Old computer mouse pads -the thicker, spongy type
    used when mice had balls (what'd he say? ) as in
    the pre-laser or optical mouse days.
    (1) Board foot of 3/4" material, can be MDF, ply, or solid wood

Tools:
    (1) 2-1/2 or 3" hole saw (could be larger if you wish)
    Utility knife or similar cutting tool

Incidentals:
    Some contact cement or other adhesive, try to use something
    compatible that you already have instead of buying new.

Use the hole saw and cut 4 disks from your scrap lumber.

Sand and smooth the edges of both faces. You can use a round over bit to ease
    the edge if you wish but its not necessary.

Using one of the disks as a cutting guide, lay it over the mouse pad and cut out
    eight matching size disks from the mouse pads. Trim the edges neatly as they will
    show in the finish product. Use a new blade in the utility knife, not the one you
    used last month to hang Sheetrock with.

Lay the mouse pad disks out on a piece of newspaper or cardboard with the cloth
    side up (same orientation as when used with a mouse). Spray with a aerosol adhesive
    such as 3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive or brush on some contact cement and let dry.
    Do the same to ONE side of each of the wood disks.

Stick a mouse pad to one side of each wood disc and clamp or use a roller to ensure
    full contact adhesion is made.

Coat the opposite of each wood disc and let dry or wait the required time per the
    manufacturers directions.

Stick the remaining four mouse pad disks to the freshly coated side of each wood disc
    and clamp or use a roller to ensure full contact is made.

You're done! Time to enjoy your cookies.

So just how do you do that you might ask.

Well, you place 3 or 4 disks on the workbench and your workpiece on top. The mouse
    pad rubber grabs the bench top and also the workpiece to prevent slippage when routing
    or sanding or performing other tasks such as applying finish.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-21-2009, 03:05 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: BYO Cookies

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Rockler.
    Rockler who?
    Rockler's lawyer, you in trouble now.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Knock knock.
      Who's there?
      Rockler.
      Rockler who?
      Rockler's lawyer, you in trouble now.
      For using my brain?
      Oh wait, I forgot, I don't have a brain.
      Oh wait, that's the OTHER guy I'm thinking of who voted for the Big O.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        For using my brain?
        Oh wait, I forgot, I don't have a brain.
        Oh wait, that's the OTHER guy I'm thinking of who voted for the Big O.

Hold it wait.....Oprah is running for public office?

Comment

I knocked out a set of these this morning in no time at all. The only step I did a little different than what Bob outlined was I used my circle/wheel cutter instead of hole saws. The hole saws would have been faster but I didn't have any that large.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            I knocked out a set of these this morning in no time at all. The only step I did a little different than what Bob outlined was I used my circle/wheel cutter instead of hole saws. The hole saws would have been faster but I didn't have any that large.
            Knock knock.
            Who's there?

---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

OH-NO I screwed up as I made mine as rectangles to avoid lawyers banging on my door!
              I hope they will work? I did not know the rules said they must be round!

I actually used some old black rubber router pad..you know the stuff to keep wood from
              sliding all over the place and some scrap wood.

I also used gorilla glue. I applied a very thin coat of the glue on the wood and made the rubber pad wet. Then once they met I placed a weight on the entire thing to ensure no lumps from the glue expansion.

Once all is set I trimmed 1/16" off each side to make them pretty.

Another option it to get some hockey pucks and glue the rubber on them.

And as mentioned for the truly lazy folks $12.00 at Rockler's will get you the same results.

Cactus Man
              Last edited by cactusman; 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Lots of hockey pucks out there, masquerading as politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  And as mentioned for the truly lazy folks $12.00 at Rockler's will get you the same results.

<-- Lazy and short on time... forked out the twelve bux... Not as yummy as Oreos, but pretty good for setting wood on.

Heck, I cannot even find those craptacular old mouse pads except at an occasional garage sale. Not nearly enough to do 8 sides of 3" circles...

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                    <-- Lazy and short on time... forked out the twelve bux... Not as yummy as Oreos, but pretty good for setting wood on.

Heck, I cannot even find those craptacular old mouse pads except at an occasional garage sale. Not nearly enough to do 8 sides of 3" circles...
                    WJ, you don't need the thick mouse pads. I made mine with the thin pads, maybe 1/8" thick, that they sell at WalMart for under $3. If you make them 2½" in diameter you can get 8 out of one of the pads. So far, the few times I've used mine they worked just fine.

Comment

Call me lazy, got mine at rockler. Honestly I think $12 is a great price for them. If I was going to make them I would have had to buy the mouse pads. But if I had some laying around I would make more, very handy.

Comment

BD, changed jobs again, eh?? ;-)

Thanks for the tip on cheap pads at Wal-Mart. I rarely go in there. But that made me think of all the thin Dell pads we've probably got laying around somewhere here at work so's I'm going to do some scrounging. ;-)

Comment

I happened to be at Walgreen's during lunch today and found the rubberized "thick" mouse pad mats for $1.99 each, or 2 for $3.00.

They're a tad under 1/4" thick. Gonna see about some homemade bench "biscuits" this weekend. ;-)

Comment

Awww.. Here I am, an IT with computer parts laying around all over and not a mouse pad in sight. I quit using them years and years ago when I switched to optical mice.

Comment

also look at padded shelf liners such as this

http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_gripit.html

its what the router mats are made out of

Comment

Working...
                              X