X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charger problems....

Chargers on the new Ridgid Cordless Drills?

I bought the new Rigid 14.4 volt cordless drill lastnight and put a battery on to charge. It didn't say anywhere about how long to let the first battery charge as most battery operated things do. It did say that the batteries do not obtain thier full charge potential on the first charge. Anyways, it is late so I plug it in and let it charge 8 hours. The charger is still blinking a green light as this means it is still charging. It is supposed to be steady green when it is charged and ready. Also the charge has a red that is supposed to flash when you first load the battery as this is I guess supposed to be the thinking mode before it starts charging. This doesn't even come on. I just have a steady red light meaning the charger is on and the blinking green light that has been going on for over 14 hours. This is supposed to be a 20 minute charger, but I didn't think it would do the first charge in 20 minutes, but the book says nothing about the time. I even switched batteries and left the second one on there for an hour thinking maybe one is bad. I think the charger might be screwed up since the red light doesn't flash when you first put the battery in. I think I am going to take it back tonight. Also what little life it did run, it seem like it had plenty of power, but the chuck seems like it had a lot of run out. When driving a 2" screw it had a lot of run out or looks like it was wobbling. I didn't like that, but it seemed to have loads of power for now. I just wish I knew if the charger was working right. The first battery had been in there for 14 hours and it died in about 10 minutes.

CB

Before condemming the charger, I suspect a defective battery, in particular, one with a shorted cell. You can crudely test for this by letting the battery sit for a hour or so with no load or charge attached to it and then reading the open circuit terminal voltage and comparing it to spec. nominal. Another test (and a better one) would be to get a "known good" battery and see how your charger reacts to it.

Comment

Working...
    X