X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS14002 Upper Wheel Shaft/Hinge Broke

Has anyone else had the upper wheel shaft/hinge break on their BS1400 or 14002? I was in the process of balancing the wheels and upon putting the blade back on I heard a bang as I tensioned the blade. I know, it was my own fault, but is this a common problem? I see eReplacement parts has a replacement for $19.50, but it isn't going to be any stonger than the original. It's made out of cheap pot metal and the design is weak. Is anyone making a better replacement part?

Re: BS14002 Upper Wheel Shaft/Hinge Broke

Probably not as unlike cars and trucks there is not much of a demand for aftermarket parts for OEM replacement parts for woodworking equipment. I know of no one offering anything for RIDGID equipment other than authorized parts dealers. Did you register this saw into the LLSA Program?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Probably not as unlike cars and trucks there is not much of a demand for aftermarket parts for OEM replacement parts for woodworking equipment. I know of no one offering anything for RIDGID equipment other than authorized parts dealers. Did you register this saw into the LLSA Program?
      Ironically, the first time I looked this saw up on eReplacementParts.com just to see what the average user orders for repair parts, I noted that this shaft/hinge assembly was listed. If you're not familiar with this site, they sell parts for all types and brands of power tools. Once you have navigated to the parts list for the specific tool you are repairing, it shows the most commonly ordered parts on the right side of the web page. Now I know why this part made that list. I should have ordered it right then.

As for warrenty, I bought this saw reconditioned. It does have a 1 year warrenty, but I can't honestly call this a warrenty issue, as I should have stopped tensioning the blade as soon as I noted everything wasn't quite right. I didn't, therefore I assume the blame and cost of repair.

I guess my point isn't so much to gripe about the quality of the part, but to point out that it is a weak point in the overall design. Perhaps someone at Ridgid will address it in the next version of the saw (if there is one). See attached photos.

I've already ordered the repair part, so I'll get off my soapbox and get back to woodworking.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the two photos I find the variance in the grain of the metal interesting.
        Notice around the edges how the grain appears finer and it is much coarser toward the interior.

If I remember I will ask a friend who should know to look at the photos and give me his opinion.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-22-2009, 08:29 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Looking at the two photos I find the variance in the grain of the metal interesting.
          Notice around the edges how the grain appears finer and it is much coarser toward the interior.
          I had my son, who is a machinist/moldmaker, take a look at it. His opinion was it was a poor quality casting and the design was weak, with too many sharp corners in the webbing. I guess that is the way things are done today, especially in China. In any case, I bought a new shaft/hinge assembly and have it installed.

Let's see. I know have $28 invested in repair parts. I've also added another $250 in upgrade parts (link belt, urethane tires, Kreg fence, 3 new blades, cool blocks, plus spent a lot of time balancing the wheels and beefing up the stand) and it still vibrates some. In addition, the darn motor now runs in reverse. Ain't my week.

Comment

Bob,

Mine broke in June 2009 and was fixed under warrenty.
            Attached Files

Comment

The coarse nature of the inner casting implies slow cooling in the interior and rather more rapid cooling on the outer, IIRC. I would think this is by design, so the outer areas are "smoother" and require less finishing.

Ex F-I-L was a metallurgist. I'd ask him, but that would invite current-wife trouble, so sorry!

Comment

I have the BS1400 and the same part broke on mine about four months after I assembled it (with very minimal use). It was covered by the LLSA, but I did have to haul the entire saw in to the local authorized service center. I thought about just buying the part, but customer service told me I would void the warranty by doing so.

-O&B

Comment

Working...
                X