X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sled

Well, I went the easy way.I Bought the Incra U-build-it system and built the bridged cross cut sled with stop. The only thing I have yet to add is the hold down clamp. Pretty nice. Forgive the material for the bridge. I had a bunch off oak stair tread cut offs I laminated together and planed smooth. I used solid oak for the main fence to ensure it stays straight.
    Attached Files

Re: New Sled

Very nice.

How much did the kit run you?

Comment

Including the oak fence I spent $120.00 I got a birthday 10% off from Woodcraft.

Edit.....Add $32.00 for the two sliders. They're adjustable and I love how it all screws together and automatically squares itself.
      Last edited by rjm78; 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: sliders

Comment

Nice design and great execution.

One concern I'd have is the lack of any protection from the blade on the piece where you have the miter track with the tape measure. I'd put some kind of wooden block that would minimize the possibility that the blade cuts off your thumbs if you slide the sled too far towards the blade.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I thought about that and wondered why the plan from Incra didn't include that. Although if I'm about to cut off my thumbs, the blade will have to come through the miter track and then.....I have my own version of the Saw Stop.

I'll probably make a guard so I keep a wide hand grip though, for where the blade passes under and through the back.

Comment

I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Btw. I like the idea of laminated oak for that fence. Something tells me it may hold straight and true better than one solid piece.
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Beautiful sled. Incra is the bomb.

Do me a favor and add a little box where the blade comes out of the back fence. Just a little something to surround the blade at the extreme end of the cross cut. It will keep your fingers where they belong. In more ways than one.

Comment

Your both right...I will do that.

I'm thinking I'm gonna leave out the hold down clamp. Cross cutting doesn't have the same tipping issue as ripping would. plus the cut will be fast since the max would be 12ish inches wide. I can easily reach the piece while holding the fence too. The problem is the main fence and the bridge block the opening to the track in which the knob would ride. Might just get in the way more than be useful.

Comment

Not sure I understand the part about ripping stock "tipping". If you are cutting anything approaching twice the length of half that jig, you are going to have to hold it down somehow to keep it from teetering on the edge of the jig, unless you have another piece of jig base laying on your table to support the end of the stock you're cutting.

I have always just used a block of wood and a clamp to hold my stock down and keep it from moving. Allows you to concentrate more on your hand placement and the cut.

Comment

One thing all sleds should have....a stop rigged so you can't run it far enough forward that the blade exits the rear.

Comment

Working...
                    X