X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap and Easy R4511 Upgrade

I thought I'd share this w/ the community. I'd seen this type of closure on the motor cover of the sears/orion saws, and so I converted my 4511 to the same type. Now, no tools involved and takes about 2 seconds to access the inside of the cabinet, remove/replace the blade gaurd, etc.

Here is the link to the parts (you need 2).

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...kToLink=Return

Simply install these in the holes on the plastic cover, and drill out the welded nuts on the cabinet (I think I used 15/32 or something just under 1/2, but 1/2 should work), and you're done.

Re: Cheap and Easy R4511 Upgrade

I looked on the link you provided, but the picture doesn't show the expanding rubber grommet part. Does that come with it?

Comment

Yes, it was all inclusive.

Comment

Nice, easy mod that turns access to the cabinet
        into a tool less job, I like it.

At $~2.16 each, it's not an expensive mod either.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Great mod! Thanks.

Comment

Placed my order today. Darn shipping cost more than the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
              Placed my order today. Darn shipping cost more than the parts.
              Typical Sears

Interesting, though, that the part crosses back to a Steel City part (OR91058), so technically a Woodcraft store could order them (and I dont think they charge you for shipping).

Im astounded that I cant find an equivalent on McMaster.com. They usually have EVERYTHING, and good shipping prices and more importantly they get stuff to me in 2 days with ground shipping (they're in NJ Im in CT)

Comment

thia has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread but is that second photo an example of the 4511's dust collection?
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Im astounded that I cant find an equivalent on McMaster.com.

Try Reid Tool Supply for all sorts of knobs, handwheels, and orelated gizmos.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    thia has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread but is that second photo an example of the 4511's dust collection?
                    There are several large openings on this saw that, while allowing for very fine dust to be sucked into the back port, don't do much for larger chips. Fine Woodworking magazine had a great artical in the June 2009 issue on dust proofing various table saws.

The idea is to use strategically placed slots to creat high velocity air flow that will move the chips and fine dust into the collection port. I plan to try implementing some of these ideas on my R4511 once I get the arbor issue resolved.

And yes, due to the leg braces, unfortunately there are several flat areas where chips can pile up. That is one of the reasons I opted to change over to the quick release cams shown by the OP.
                    Last edited by 3rdtime; 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

That is dust after ripping down several pieces of tigerwood decking (for a bench- probably 100bd/ft or so) and a few other things. My DC is not the best, just a big shop vac w/ a trash can cyclone. (2.5" hose). So yes, it's more dust accumulation than collection sometimes. I actually taped up 90% of the hole in the top of the motor cover, but it so far hasn't made much difference. I think the best answer is a real DC system.

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I will order them today.

Charles
                        Charles

Comment

Thanks for posting this upgrade. The latch assemblies arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I finally had time to install them. The install was easy, and they work well.

Comment

old thread revived! After 2 months+ on back order with Sears, these are finally installed. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

heh... I've got some on hand from my old [crappy skil] table saw that bit the dust.. Was used for those cheap metal extension rails to move the wings out... Think I'll go ahead and drill the body out and install them.. Especially since I'd been making so much dust cutting cove molding and only have a crappy shop vac for dust collection..

Proof that a shop vac just does not cut it.

Comment

Working...
                              X