X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi there please can anyone help me please

i am building a garden shed and i am ready to fit the door i have a frame ledge and brace door and i am just wondering what type of lock is best for it with the best security.

i hope you could help me in this matter :-)

Re: hi there please can anyone help me please

a picture of where you are trying to fit the door would be helpful.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

For over 25 years now a heavy duty padlock and hasp has kept my shed secured. Get the type of hasp that hides the mounting hardware and use bolts and fender washers to mount it instead of screws.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It really doesn't matter what type of lock you use--locks are only made to keep honest people out!

Comment

i was thinking of useing a 5 lever mortice lock rather then a hasp.

what would be better please

Comment

ADT and a big honkin yard light. Like PK said, pretty much if someone wants in they'll get in.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Most locks will keep most opportunistic thieves away. The more determined ones likely know about locks more than the combine lock wisdom on this forum. They are probably in possession of all the wonderful cordless tools many of us use.

If I were to get into someone's shed and there was a monster lock on it I'd just cut a whole between studs with a reciprocating saw.

If you want a thief proof shed then you do what a client of mine in Brooklyn, NY did. 12" cinder blocks with 1/2" steel plates bolted into the blocks from the inside and covering entire walls and the roof.

Once you past that, then you can start thinking about doors and eventually locks.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

can i use a mortice lock be fited on a frame ledged and braced door??
                Last edited by tallpaul; 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Paul,

I think that a mortise lock will work just fine. Sometimes, we get a little off track of the original question. Just make sure that you would have enough structure left in the frame for it to be secure.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Comment

As Finer9998 said, a pic would be very helpful. I don't know about your part of the world, but around here "a frame ledged and brace door" and a "mortise lock" are not terms used in construction, so it is hard to determine exactly what you are asking and how to answer. Many different locks can be morticed in.

Comment

kk ty for all your help i will try to get some pic on when i can work out how to put them on here lol

Comment

Working...
                      X