Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find Square Head bolts for the TS2400?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find Square Head bolts for the TS2400?

OK, I'm really, really frustrated by this. Hopefully, it's just Newbie syndrome and I'm not looking in the right places.

I've spent the better part of 2 hours checking at about dozen local fastener suppliers in the San Francisco Bay Area and 3 regional fastener distributors, including Cordova Bolt (who touts that they're the largest on the west coast), and I can't seem to find anyone who caries 1/4x20 3/4" square head bolts which are needed to put a wood facing on the fence. The closest I've come is a 1" long one through McMaster-Carr (heck, I figured if it existed, these guys would have it for sure...)

Is this a common bolt and I'm just not looking in the right places?

Was it previously common, but not any longer? At a couple of places they mentioned that they're no longer used that often so they've stopped carrying square head anything.

I just can't understand, why Ridgid has decided to require use of a bolt that isn't common for what I would imagine would be a common fence upgrade for the more serious users!!

Can I use a standard T-Slot bolt for this?
    I see where is a bolt available through you (p/n 159653-3), are they free, or is there some small fee for them?

Is this what other TS/Fence manufacturers do as well? Perhaps, this is standard in the industry and I'm just not aware.

Bubba

The TS2424 fence (and the Incra, for that matter) use toilet bolts. Around here, the home improvement centers carry them. I'm not surprised finding square heads is a tough job.

Dave

Comment

Bubba,
      I ran into the same problem as you but I found the the square heads are NOT required. I use 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 zinc hex head bolts found at Home Depot, Lowes, or just about anywhere else. They can be tough to get in at first because they have to be turned so that two parallel sides of the hex head are parallel to the t-slots in your fence. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature and is a piece of cake. I actually prefer the hex heads to teh square heads because they have practically no play once in the slot. Give em a try! Good Luck!
      - Tim
      - Tim

Comment

Thanks a ton Dave and Tim!!

I found that the 1/4x20 hex head bolts do in fact fit fine. So who's the "brain surgeon" engineer that decided they needed to spec a square head bolt!?! Wasted two hours of my time on a wild goose chase!

Jake, is there a reason Ridgid recommends a square head bolt and not a hex head one? If not, then please let the folks who write the Manuals update them to include using regular bolts!

At least put an addendum in the current printed ones!!

Being in the customer relations side of my company, it realy tweaks me when a company screws up on such a minor thing which ends up being a BIG inconvenience and for no real reason except... "oh, sorry Mr. Customer, we forgot to mention it."

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

Bubba,
          I also had the same problem. I ordered some through Ridgid but I needed more for the opposite side of the fence and the top for jigs. Jake was gracious enough to send me some free of charge for which I'm very thankful. Jake said they are avalible at any local hardware store. Unfortunately, all the local hardware stores have been put out of business by big orange.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tplank:
            Bubba,
            I also had the same problem. I ordered some through Ridgid but I needed more for the opposite side of the fence and the top for jigs. Jake was gracious enough to send me some free of charge for which I'm very thankful. Jake said they are avalible at any local hardware store. Unfortunately, all the local hardware stores have been put out of business by big orange.
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I was told the same by their support team when I called in a few weeks ago. I did check all the local hardware stores other than "Big Orange"... I knew they wouldn't have it.

Checked at over 10 of them (one of the wonderful things about where I live [img]smile.gif[/img]) but was unable to find them. Then I started calling all the local fasteners places and finally several distributors. If they don't carry it, I doubt any hardware stores in the San Francisco/San Jose bay area will. Even if they did, it would be the proverbial needle in a haystack (that happens to be ~200 square miles in size).

If anything, I feel that this is very important feedback to them and after an evening of cooling off, I still say Ridgid needs to fix their documentation, both in the box and on the phone otherwise, more customers will get frustrated. Of course it may be the Ridgid makes a large part of their profits from selling square head bolts .

Comment

Most of the hardware stores (including HD) stock square nuts for 1/4-20. They work fine in the slot.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Walker:
                Most of the hardware stores (including HD) stock square nuts for 1/4-20. They work fine in the slot.

Dave
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in Santa Clara, Campbell, Fremont, or the Milpitas HD! Nor do 2 Ace Hardware Stores I've gone to (SC, & Fremont).

I don't mind a having to look for something, just don't ask me to find a Needle in a Haystack.

Bubba

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

Sorry to hear that you guys are having so much trouble finding square head bolts. I'll make mention of it to the engineers. The reason the square heads are used is to insure that the bolt head will never spin in the fence rail. Though I have never tried it there is a chance that you could spin a hex head bolt in the aluminum of the rail and that would be very bad.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
                    Are the two slots in the miter gauge supposed to accept 1/4" machine screws? I made up a jig and with 1/4" screw inserts and had to tweak the slots a few thousandths. It just killed me to put the emery to a relatively new piece of equipment.

Comment

It supposed to fit, it sounds like the slots have gotten too much paint in them.

Jake

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSchnarre:
                        It supposed to fit, it sounds like the slots have gotten too much paint in them.

Jake
                        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake,

Just checked mine and noticed the same problem. Perhaps I'll got to 3/16" screws instead of 1/4".

Along those same lines, is the paint supposed to chip off wherever we tighten the handle down to hold it at an angle? I've currently got paint compressed at the 90 & 45's, where the handle clamps down. I imagine it may start falling off in flakes shortly.

Bubba.

Comment

Bubba,
                          The HD's stock square NUTS (not bolts). They are in the specialty fastener drawers. I don't know if every HD has them but the ones in Milpitas and Livermore do. Orchard Supply also has square nuts. I've bought them in both places.

Dave

Comment

I have worked in construction and demolition for the last 20 years. Ocassionally, a person can make a terrific find in vacated buildings. In 1988 I found two parts cabinets filled with nuts and bolts in a closed factory. I have square head nuts 5/16 and up, square head bolts 5/16 x 1 and up. I have every imaginalbe washer, nut and machine screw in steel and brass and some stainless,up to 3/4",and some carriage bolts up to 8", but for the life of me I cannot buy or find a 1/4-20x 3/4" square head bolt.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Walker:
                              Bubba,
                              The HD's stock square NUTS (not bolts). They are in the specialty fastener drawers. I don't know if every HD has them but the ones in Milpitas and Livermore do. Orchard Supply also has square nuts. I've bought them in both places.

Dave
                              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry,

Misread your post. I concur with what you said. I've seen the "nuts" there myself. Perhaps I'll go with that and a regular hex head if nothing else works.

Bubba.

Comment

Working...
                              X