X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood ID

Found this plank in Blackwater River and cleaned it up a bit. I know it looks like Yellow Pine but the saw dust smells like no other wood, very-----sweet smell. Could it be Juniper?

Thanks, Richard
    Attached Files

Re: Wood ID

Water log ???
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

It does look like cypress but it is a little light. I thought cypress was a little darker?

Comment

I made my raised garden beds out of cypress that was very light colored.
        Joe Spear

Comment

I dont think its cypress but I am hardly an expert. I used about 90 board feet of cypress recently and it didnt look like that. The grain on the face of the board in the pic is much bolder (for lack of a better word). It actually looks like some douglas fir plywood I used to make cabinets for the shop/garage. It was BC grade plywood from Home Depot and the grain looked excatly the same, even the color.

Comment

Looks like pine. Not juniper.

Comment

Thanks all, I think I'll agree it must be pine. The smell is what threw me. This area had lots of saw mills back in the day, 1800's, and this board and others like it look to be this old but not rotted out. Being under water must be part of the smell/longevity? Also it was in Blackwater Bay not River, my bad.

Comment

Looks exactly like some of the finish grade pine I get at HD

Comment

Working...
                X