Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with height of workbenches

Hi,

I'm an ole granny who's going to be building some cabinetry for my garage. I am in desperate need of some workbenches for my power tools.

I have some nice MDF for the work surfaces and some particle board for the cabinets.

My question is this: It seems that standard sized work surfaces are intended for men who are about 5'9" to 6' tall. I'm just 5'5" tall. So, I was thinking of making my floor cabinetry about 4 inches shorter.

Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks,

Pat
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: Need help with height of workbenches

Hi Pat, I like my work surface to be at my belt hieght. That makes what I am working on just right without having to bend over all the time. Remember to build one lower cabinet to use your miter saw or scroll saw on.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Definitely build them to a height that is the most comfortable for YOU to work at. It's your shop and it's only right that it suits your needs. Besides, it's probably even safer that way.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

my kids found a old farm house a few weeks ago there trying to buy,
        and in the process of researching it,
        I found these two extension bulletins that were written in the 1920's
        kitchen sink
        http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modp1/morefile/E0027.pdf
        modern Farm kitchen
        http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modp1/morefile/E0037.pdf

In the first one on page 3 there is a discussion on height,
        and on page 8 of the second one.

also the bench height may depend on what one is working on, if your dealing with case goods one may want it lower so when the product one is working on is closer to a ideal work height, but if your working on small parts, a higher bench may be beneficial,

now I build most of my benches to the height of the table saw, so that they would work for extension tables when sawing , I do have one that is 4 inch's lower,

I was showing one lady some wood working tips and we end up building a work platform for using the wood lathe and some of the other tool she had to put her at a better height to the machine,

but going back to the Extension bulletins one can see the standard height of a kitchen work surface has increased over the years, from under 30" to about 36" considered standard, a table or desk is normally considered about 30" a bath room counter about 30" Edited (I see some say it is 32 here), I did not get my book out, jsut measured ours,)
        Last edited by BHD; 08-26-2009, 11:55 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hi Pat,

BHD's got some great comments there. Everyone's got their own personal preferences on this. I've found that I prefer my bench surface to be up a little higher for most work... closer to eyes and easier on the back. But you may find you're more comfortable at a lower height.

It's also true that there is no bench height that's ideal for all projects. As he said above, for larger furniture or cabinet projects, or for cutting large sheet goods with a circular saw, I find a low surface to be more comfortable. A couple of sawhorses and a piece of ply solves those specific but temporary needs. And, these can be set up in the middle of the shop (or at least away from the walls) rather than up against a wall like a typical bench.

I think that actually bathroom counters are at 32 rather than 30. But these days, more and more people are building them up at kitchen counter heights of 36". The downside to this is that it makes the lavatory counters less kid-friendly. My point being that lower counters tend to be a compromise and not the most comfortable for adults (even at 5'5").

I don't know that anyone can answer your question except you. I recommend that you get some old milk crates (or whatever) and plywood or scrap flush doors. Then set up some temporary benches at the height you think you might like. Spend a day or two on the temporary setup. This should make the answer clear!

Good luck,

-Andy
          Last edited by Andy_M; 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I built my work benches out of old 2X4's and Ply wood. The trick to a good work bench is don't use screws use nuts and bolts for the frame. I am 6' 4" so I had to build my benches to my height. When I work at my father in laws shop my back seriously hurts by the end of the day he built his for his height at 5' 10" so my point is make it yours. I like having shelf in the middle for more storage and back wall so my smaller tools don't fall behind the bench. Nothing worse then having to lay down in your saw dust to feel in the back for a lost drill bit and you never know what spider is back there

Comment

Also 6'4" with a bad back and neck so built mine extra tall even for my height to save on my back. However, do not make it tall if you plan on doing much hand planing. Needs to be on the low side then. Belt high is a good place to start to see where you really want it.

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                Hi Pat,

I don't know that anyone can answer your question except you.

Good luck,

-Andy
                I hate to disagree with you, Andy, but I really got some good ideas from all of you here on this thread!! You all helped answer my question. THANKS SO MUCH!!

I like the idea of having a lower surface for my miter saw and heavy items I might haul in, and a higher surface for jobs that cause backaches. SOOOOO, what I have decided to do is to build all the cabinets at graduating levels.

I'm focusing on one wall right now. Currently it has these atrociously high and very deep MDF shelves and 2x6 studs. No cabinets. Lots of useless space.

I'm going to divide the wall space into 4 sections and put my highest cabinet in the back, with the lowest in the front. I think it will work for me. Later on, I'll tackle the opposite wall. Back wall houses water heater, washer, dryer and doorway, so I can't do much with that.

Thank you all so very much. I would never have thought of this on my own.
                You made my day, and I hope you all have happy days, too!!

Pat
                If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

Working...
                X