Now What?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now What?

On Sunday 5/4/03, I finally made the decision to purchase a table saw. I read thru the forums and was really impressed with the high marks the Ridgid woodworking product line received, especially the table saws. In my last post a few days ago I was trying to find out what the LS meant with regard to the TS2424. The response seemed to be if I could get the 3612 for the same price, go with that one. I did purchase the 3612.

Now I read that Emerson (Ridgid?) may not, will not be supporting my product. Do I have that right? Should I return the saw to HD (still in the box - not opened)? Then what do I buy?

Ironic how things work out. I've wanted to get into this hobby for so many years but couldn't afford it. I finally buy that first stationary power tool and now I think I'm going to return it to HD. I will probably end up with a Craftsman. Sear has always been there and probably will be around long after I'm gone.

Any thoughts?

Bernie

Emerson, under the Ridgid brand name, makes great tools, especially the 3612, sold only through Home Depot (the biggest disadvantage). Parts and accessories are available directly through Ridgid, if you need them. They are backed by a lifetime no-hassle warranty, as you will hear repeated testimony on this board. The 3612 is the new model (that I own and love), with a few improvements, that replaced the older 2424 at the same price, hence the suggestions you go for the 3612.

Emerson, under the Craftsman band name, made great tools sold through Sears, until Sears decided to change to cheap tools a few years ago. I haven't heard anything good about Sears tools since the change. I haven't been back to Sears myself, although I still use my Emerson-made Craftsman Radial Arm Saw.

At first I said "I can't imagine why you would want to return the 3612." Now I have read the post on Emerson manufacturing, and see your concern. Many of the Ridgid tools are made overseas, so this may be another step in that process. But I still think this is an awesome saw, and I don't regret owning it.

[ 05-06-2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Charlie P ]

Comment

I have a slightly opposite view to this situation. I feel that by purchasing my Ridgid tablesaw before they shipped it overseas, I got a great US built product that will last me for decades. My saw was assembled in Tennesee with a motor I like to think was manufactured in Sturgeon Bay, WI. as I did repair work at that plant.
      I have been patting myself on the back for actually finding a high quality American built saw before it was too late! Your view may be different, but from what I have read, even the major dollar saws like Powermatic have been sourcing parts from overseas for awhile.
      \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Keep the Ridgid!

I have the old Emerson/Craftsman saw and it has lasted 20 years. I firmly believe that the current saws are made to the same or better standards and if you take care of it it will last a good long time.

Sears has become very hard to deal with when it comes to parts. It used to be if you bought something at Sears you could get parts for it, for the rest of your life, not so anymore. When it gets upwards of about 10 years old, the parts start to vanish. This does not happen across the board but I was surprised when I could not get parts for my saw about 5 years ago, ended up ordering what I needed from Ridgid, had to make a couple of slight modifications and things bolted right on. Not to mention the fact that if you have a Sears parts store in your town years ago if it was not in stock they brought it in freight free. Now they send it US Mail and charge you big time for the front door service, thank you Sears!

Emerson & Ridgid have been around far to long to abandon their customers, I think you'll be happier with your Ridgid Classic saw, over a Sears whatever brand saw.

Dave
        It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Keep the saw Bernie.

Keep an eye on the forums here as I'm sure people will report on upcoming change in quality and price for your future purchases.

Emerson stated in the report that they will be honoring warrenties, so no fear there. A transition like this can take a long long time. The decission was made, they have stock.

More than likely, the same manufacturing equipment that made yesterdays machines, will be making tomarrows machines. It just won't be Emerson's employees. They probably farmed the woodworking line out to a company that looks at it as picking up business, something they added to their product line.

If it's going to ware the Ridgid name, I'm sure it will have to meet Emerson's strict standards.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Your right John, There's a lot of inventory out there. It will be quite a while before the new products hit the shelves.
            I own only one Ridgid saw, a MS1250. My saw was perfect right out of the box. I made one minor adjustment to the compound angle indicator of less than one degree. My Craftsman table saw took me half the night to set up, and it's still not right.I'm completley sold on Ridgid tools as made today, and still plan on getting a TP1300 real soon.
            I have no worries or concerns about there warrantee. I'm sure any problems I may have will be taken care of.
            With a saw this well made, what can go wrong?
            Rob Johnson
            Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Bernie,

Warranty & parts for the forseeable future will be covered by HD & Emerson. As others have said, these cast iron & steel tools don't go wrong that often, and with a TS, it appears that parts are still available 10-20 years or more after they've been discontinued.

Look at the 3612 you've just bought. Then go into Sears and look at the quality of their line of TS's! No comparison. If you still feel bad, take it back and go out and buy a more expensive Delta or Jet, then at least you're not compromising quality standards too much!

David

Comment

Working...
              X