X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue to use to veneer stair treads?

I'm considering veneering the stair treads going down to my basement (with 1/100" red oak) and I'm wondering if yellow glue would be sufficient to affix it, or should I be considering contact cement?

--Jeff

Re: Glue to use to veneer stair treads?

I would consider more than 1/100 thick veneer,

1/8"min, 1/4" to 3/8" would be my suggestion, in a situation like that, IMO. and thicker and one will feel it in the riser height difference at the top and bottom step.

on the thin stuff (they make a self stick) but I would consider the contact as there will be less wrinkling do to the moisture, and the yellow may or may not glue it all, and if you have a air pocket in that thin of stuff you will have a hole, in short order, (and it will more than likely end up wrinkled, with yellow glue),

on the risers the thing veneer would probably work, 1/8" would be nicer,

here is a company that sells a refacing system, http://www.eztread.com/
    take a look and see what there doing, they also have a installing manual on line,
    since they feel able to sell to the public there system probably has some what met the test of time, (not saying buy there product, but look at what there doing to make it work.

If you have any type of problem one would never be able to sand it out on the 1/100 stuff, and you may just wear through it in short order, (I know I have had sanded through the crappy veneers on the ply board to day, as they were so thin, what a mess,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Glue to use to veneer stair treads?

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      I would consider more than 1/100 thick veneer,
      1/8"min, 1/4" to 3/8" would be my suggestion, in a situation like that, IMO. and thicker and one will feel it in the riser height difference at the top and bottom step.
      Hmm... yeah, I just did the math (Canadian stuck on the metric system ) and that is much thinner then I thought... ie, paper-thin. I found the veneer at LeeValley and just assumed it would be decently thick... guess not :S

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      here is a company that sells a refacing system, http://www.eztread.com/
      Yeah, I saw that in another post; unfortunately, I don't know that I can find that here in Canada, but I guess I could try and manufacture similarly myself.

I originally thought of doing something like this, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to remove the bullnose on the existing stair case (or, for that matter, HOW I'd do it). I guess, worst case scenario, I can chisel it out the of edges (the rest I can saw or route out).

Seems like I could make the wood go further by resawing ~3/4" stock in half for the treads giving 3/8" treads, and then glue on a 3/4" bullnose and some trim... also gives me an excuse to look into getting a bandsaw

--Jeff

Comment

Working...
      X