Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Wood?

Hi Guy's,
    I am new at this and I'm getting ready to build the tool box that is shown in this month's issue of Shopnotes. I live in the Northern Virginia area. I called some lumber stores and some hard wood stores to get prices for the Douglas Fir to make this TB. I don't know if they are ripping me off or I am not explaining it correctly. I don't have a planer or a BS to mill the pieces myself.
    Prices range from $120.00 to $189.00. I cleary need some help with this.
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

I haven't seen the new Shop Notes, so I don't know how much wood you are asking about.

Wood prices vary regionally. Back in California, I could get beautiful Doug Fir for less than I can buy second-rate stuff here in Texas. I would try striking up a conversation with one of the better wood sellers and asking for opinions. Most people are pretty happy to share their expertise, especially when they don't feel like they are getting smoke blown at them.

Dave

Comment

Like Dave said, prices vary by location, and I haven't seen the magazine yet, so I don't know how much wood is involved. I do know that in most places there is a considerable difference in Rough Sawn and S4S lumber. So big that I went and bought the planer and joiner and in less than a year they have saved back their money in the price of lumber. Not sure where you have checked, but check out www.woodfinder.net There are several dealers in your area, you might be able to find somebody else that's a little cheaper.

Comment

Here are what's needed for this project
        1-1/2"x12"-12'
        1-3/4"x8"-10'
        1-1/4"x8"-4'
        and I'm thinking of doing this in Douglas Fir or White Pine. I can't believe that these woods are $6.24 a foot milled. So I'm looking for your expertise to give me some guide lines

Thanks for your help so far

Chuck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

one thing you might try and it's something I did a while back for a similiar project was to go through the 2x material at a local home center. I did that at Home Depot. They got kind of mad because I emptied the whole bin of 2x8's until I found ones that were nice, but that translated down to about 4 to 5 dollars for an 8 foot board. Little work with a sander and table saw and some nice stain and poly, and you couldn't tell what they looked like to start with.

Comment

Douglas Fir I think is a better choice, as I have found that it is very stable as compaired to pine.. Look at the fir 2x4's and split them, a little more work but in the long run you will be a happy tool bos owner. I do a lot with Douglse Fir and it works well, turning, plaining, staining etc. the extra work to get the finished surface is I think well worth the effort. dd

Comment

Hi Guys,
              Thanks for the advice. [img]smile.gif[/img] I might not have made my self clear. The tool box is in this issue of shopnotes #62, Here's is the specs for the lumber that I calculated;
              1 piece at 1/2" thick x 10" wide x 12' long
              1 piece at 3/4" thick x 8" wide x 10' long
              1 piece at 1/4" thick x 8" wide x 4' long
              I don't have the ability to plaine yet so I have to have these milled. I got a price of approx. $6.50 a BF. What I want to know is my calculations correct, and is this the going price for this wood?

Thanks,
              Chuck

Comment

hi did my own calc and all i can say is ouch the biggest problem is u probably have to buy all 1" stuff then plane it down, correct?because your waisting ove 1/2 of your lumber i came up with roughly 21 bf hell hell around here cherry s3s select or better is only 4.50/ and white ash is only 1.90/ i can't help you on the local price of doug fir but i didnt realise the prices were that bad on the east coast your calculation look correct though

Comment

OH! When you wrote 1-1/2", I thought you meant one and one half inches thick.

They are killing you. For seven bucks b.f., you can buy almost _anything_ to make it from. Find a local yard that will plane for you, charge is usually 10 to 25 cents b.f. Have them plane a little oversize, as lumberyard planers usually aren't maintained very well, you'll need some sanding space.

Other opportunity would be to attend a meeting of the local woodworker's club. If you came to ours and asked for help in planing, you'd probably get at least five offers to help.

Dave

Comment

I am very fortunate that the "yard" thatI deal with will plane what I want for FREE. Sometimes I have to wait an extar day or so but what the heck, I can either wait or bring it home and use my blades, power and time.. Sometimes I do my own planing and sometimes I get them to do it, and sometines they do it a little thick and thats ok as I can always bring it down to exactly what I want. When you are doing OAK I rather se their system... dd

Comment

Thanks guy's,for your advice, I thought they where nuts Is there anybody out there from the Northern Virgina area. that can tell me where to go to get wood? Does anybody have any suggestions on another wood that would be nice. I am building this for my brother inlaw, he anb his wife have been very good to us, and helped us through some rough times. I thought this would be a nice gift for him.

Thanks,
                      Chuck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuck,

I am in Manassas. If you want e-mail me off list, and I can get you the names of a few places to check. It is ashamed that you do not have a jointer and planer, you could really beet the hell out of that price.

-Rob
                        -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Chuck,

I live is South Florida and have used Wall Lumber is North Carolina 3 times. They have very good prices, great service, and if you're in Northern Virginia, the shipping would probably be fairly cheap. Check out their website at www.walllumber.com

Good Luck.

Comment

Get a hold of Barbara Gill. She runs a small saw mill and does some custom cutting and planing. Her website it http://www.velvitoil.com/LaGrange.HTML

Comment

I'd recommend Ash or Alder if you're looking for a wood similar to what the box is made of. Honduran Mahogony would be nice also, plus it is easy to work.

You should also be able to find maple for less than $4.00 per bf.

I'd stay away from doug fir (a softwood), you want a hardwood that has been kiln dried so that it will not move too much. Let the wood set in your shop for a couple of days before you start working it, to let it adjust to your environment.

HTH,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X