R4330 Planer - Snipe/gouge problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 Planer - Snipe/gouge problem

I have been using the 4330 for about a year. I have always had a small amount of snipe about 2" from the end. Lately, however, I have been getting an additional snipe (more of a gouge) occuring about 5 to 6 inches from end. On larger boards (over 6" wide) this gouge happens on only part of the board (left side).

This does not happen all of the time. If I am passing multiple boards (multiple passes) it may occur once on one board. Usually follows Murphy's law; happens on one of the last passes.

Please note:

1 - Yes I alwys check direction of grain.
    2 - I have changed the blade once in the year... no brainer.
    3 - I have checked the adjustments of table extensions.

Question

Is this a problem with my planer? If not, what can I do to avoid this?

I thank you in advance for any help and suggestions

John

Re: R4330 Planer - Snipe/gouge problem

You don't say whether this gouging happens on the feed in end or outfeed end of the stock. If this is longer, thicker material, is it possible that you don't have enough support, and occasionally it allows the board to lift under the roller? Another possibility is that the tension springs on the left side of the rollers may be weak or broken, allowing the roller(s) to lift up under a lighter force.

Comment

I find that some upward pressure on initial input and then upward pressure on the exit makes the snipe disappear or very minimul.

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
        I find that some upward pressure on initial input and then upward pressure on the exit makes the snipe disappear or very minimul.

Big G
        I do the same thing with the same positive results on my Delta planer.

Comment

Happens on the in feed side of the board..... never on the out.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSyl View Post
            Happens on the in feed side of the board..... never on the out.
            Place a 4' or 6' level on the bed and use a scrap piece of lumber on it while winding the carriage down to hold it steady. Then adjust the infeed/outfeed extensions so the outside of each is touching the bottom of the level. Check both sides of each extension to be sure they level side way's.

You will snipe no more!

Buck

Comment

Snipe up to two inches makes sense because that is the distance between the centre of the outfeed roller to the centre of the cutter. This snipe can be virtually eliminated as stated above. The snipe at 5 - 6" is a behavioral issue likely exaggerated by a machine issue. The snipe likely occurs when you let go of the long board to make your way over to the outfeed position. It likely occurs only on the infeed side because you hold the board as it exits the machine. Since it only occurs on the left side of a wider board brings me to a machine problem and I am with 3rdtime on this - the left infeed roller spring is weak or broken. It is part 57 in the parts diagram. This may be difficult to test without a pressure gauge but if it is bad you may be able to feel a difference in pressure. This may seem crazy and maybe it is .... Unplug the machine and find a block of wood similar in dimension to a 2X2. Place finger on top of the 2X2 and position directly under the right side infeed roll and drop the cutter head. Note the exact position the head and the crank handle on contact and when it starts to pinch. Repeat for the left side and see if there is a difference. If the position of the head is different for first contact you may have a wood chip causing the bearing block (part #62) to hang up. If contact is the same but pinch point is different then the spring is the likely culprit. Let us know what you find.

Comment

I reviewed the parts diagram, and they actually call out 2 different srings. Part #57 is the right side spring, and part #63 is the left side spring. I wonder what would make them need to be different part numbers.

Comment

Working...
                X