X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement R4511- Nicer upgraded unit

I thought I would post this under a new thread as the recall thread had gotten to 20 pages.

As I had posted in the recall thread, HD delivered a new R4511 and picked up the old one yesterday.

My old one was ser#0534, this new one now that I have it assembled and can read the plate is 06069 and date code 0915.

I have good news.

While there didn't appear to be any significant design changes that I noticed when I started assembly, I can tell you that at least with this saw the overall machining was much better than my previous one. Plus, there seemed to be better quality control if thats the proper term, for every thing works as it should, and everything was practically dead on.

All the nuts and bolts fit perfectly. That made the assembly much easier particularly attaching and leveling the wings. No issues at all.

The fence. The fence. Someone somewhere listened or read all the previous posts on fence issues!! I was waiting for the other shoe to drop when I put the rails on, but the quality control and machining were much better. The divided rails line up really well on this saw and the fence does not bump over the front one like my old one did.

When I put the fence on the rails I had no adjustment to make to the glide pads, which look to be a different shape on the front. The brake or lockdown pads were a little tight but only needed a half a turn to loosen and this fence glides very smoothly. I like it. A stronger weld on the T bar, and the fence was nearly parallel. I had a half a turn to one brake pad and it was on.

I am now a happy camper, and glad that I opted for the replacement instead of bailing and spending more money for more horsepower that at this point I don't need.

I don't know if I got lucky with this new unit or if all the newer builds are this way, but I am really pleasantly surprised so far and hopes as it breaks in with some use that it stays that way.

Re: Replacement R4511- Nicer upgraded unit

Thank you sir.

Comment

Congrats! I've have my r4511 for about a month now and it was similar to your new one when I picked it up. All the parts were there, everything fit very little adjustment. Overall a very nice saw.

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
        Congrats! I've have my r4511 for about a month now and it was similar to your new one when I picked it up. All the parts were there, everything fit very little adjustment. Overall a very nice saw.
        Mike, I'm glad to hear your new saw had good machining, fit, and quality control. Not that my first saw was bad in any sense, but a lot of the earlier saws had issues that is normal with a new line of equipment and had to get the bugs out.

It is a nice saw and I have really enjoyed using it.

Comment

Cato, just curious, did they update/fix the pitiful assembly manual?

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
            Cato, just curious, did they update/fix the pitiful assembly manual?

Big G
            Ha, now way Big G. Same manual. Still has the section in it for aligning your blade to the miter slot by hitting your blade with a block of wood.

I never did understand why they put that in, when loosening three of the 4 table top screws and pivoting slightly will do it.

Just nice to have a little better machining on the assembly parts, and everything was aligned very close, so just minor adjustment. That in itself was a big improvement.

Maybe the manual will be next!!

Comment

So are there really any changes, or is this just luck of the draw?

The reason I ask is because the date code of my saw is 0837 and it went together just fine - all the nuts and bolts fit nicely, the fence rails lined up, the fence is square, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by airChris View Post
                So are there really any changes, or is this just luck of the draw?

The reason I ask is because the date code of my saw is 0837 and it went together just fine - all the nuts and bolts fit nicely, the fence rails lined up, the fence is square, etc.
                Chris, The only design change that I noticed was that my front fence glide pads were a different shape, so no biggie.

I am hoping it is less of a luck of the draw than previously for the earlier buyers, but that remains to be seen. However, I do notice that there are far fewer posts on fence issues, and assembly issues on this forum than there used to be, which may indicate that fit and finish quality control was stepped up.

The manual still seems to be the same, so most of the posts on assembly that I see now involve people confused about how to assemble the herc-u-lift.

Comment

Hey Cato, Thank you for the update.

I just purchased the R4511 Table Saw Yesterday, and am a little leary now after reading the recall.

I looked on the top flap of my box, and there is a sticker with some info on it such as carton weight, country of origin etc. On that sticker there is a Date Code of 0917.

Now according to your first post, your REplacement saw has a date code of 0915, which is close to my 0917, and you seem to be thrilled with the replacement correct?

Should i be concerned with the arbor shaft on my saw with a date code of 0917 on the box, or should i assemble the saw and use it without any worries????

Thank you,
                  Jon

Comment

Hey Jon, I am not leary about using the saw at all, its a nice unit and I never had a problem with my previous one they replaced, however, I did not run a stacked dado set on it.

Apparently the date codes of the production runs where they identified the problem with the arbor was early on, and the problem was on the end of the shaft, which was where some people had a couple of threads break off.

They fixed the problem since those date codes. If you had any doubt I guess you could put a torque wrench on it and check it at 50lbs? I think I read that as being the torque wrench setting in one of the threads, where the repair guys were checking the arbors, but you might want to verify that. They apparently used a 3/4 slug to simulate the width of a dado and then used the torque wrench on the arbor nut to check the shaft.

If I felt leary about using mine I would have another saw, but I don't and really have not had any problems with either unit once I got everything aligned and tuned.

Comment

Working...
                    X