Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for New Tools

Jake (& others),

On the Popular Woodworking E-News that just came out they talked about three new tool ideas they'd like to see someone manufacture. Two of the three I would love to see Ridgid consider and possibly take the lead on:

#2 This isn't exactly brand new, but we think it's worth stealing. European woodworkers have been using combination jointer/planers for years. The benefits? How about a 12" planer and 12" jointer in a reasonably small amount of shop space. Downside? There are shorter beds on the jointer than on a stand-alone unit, but I might be willing to put up with that inconvenience if one of the importing manufacturers could get the price below $1,000. We know this one is possible. At the Hardware Show in Chicago last year we visited with a small Canadian importer who had a prototype of this machine made in the far East. They thought it could be sold on the market for $800. Hey Grizzly? Bridgewood? Any takers?

#3 Finally, here's the one that we think is a home run: a 13" portable finishing sander. Here's the concept: It looks like a benchtop planer with a universal motor (perhaps with variable speed), but instead of a cutterhead, you have a drum sanding head. Make it so the sandpaper is in slip-on sleeves and can be changed fairly easily and quickly. That way you can easily move up in grits, so having only one drum isn't a problem. This one would appeal to woodworkers of course, but it also would be snatched up by any trim carpenter who does a quality job. No more trim in new houses with planer marks all over it. And what home shop wouldn't benefit from an affordable sander?

Waddaya think?

ZIpK
    Think Highly, Feel Deeply , Speak Plainly

I saw that same wish list. The thickness sander is a neat idea, but one of the problems is that the drum would have to be too small and would heat up very quickly. Also I think if you were buy a sander for panels, you'd want one that was open so you could do 30" panels

Jake

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      What you say makes sense to me..... that's why you are on that end of the email and not me! Still, if there was a way for manufacturing that type of sander, it would be high on my list.

ZK

Comment

Ridgid wood shaper, Ridgid mulit-purope machines like table saw, jointer,planer,band saw. All runing off of one motor.
        Andy B.

Comment

Working...
        X