X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collector Recommendation

I just got a Jet 16-32 drum sander and need a dust collector. Currently I use my Ridgid shop vac for all dust collection on power tools (table saw, band saw, planer, joiner) and works pretty well. Now that I have a drum sander its time to step up to a dedicted machine and need some help.

I wasnt sure about 1.5 or 2.0 HP but since I am happy with the job my shop vac does I think 1.5 HP will be fine. I am looking at a Jet or Delta and want to keep it at or under $400. In this price range are there any major differences that would make one better? Should I consider another manufacturer? I am open to other manufacturers (grizzly, shop fox, steel city, etc) but didnt see any major differences in the machines I have researched online. The only thing that stuck out was Grizzly dust collectors where much cheaper in price compared to the rest.

Re: Dust Collector Recommendation

while i have a delta ap400, and it is adequate for most single machine operations, the delta 50-720 was recently put on clearance at lowes. you might check that avenue. grizzly offers many fine values and well built machines. 650 cfm is probably the minimum air flow for single machine operation and 1200 cfm might be the number you want if you are looking for a starting point whole shop dust collector system. good luck.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If you're planning to run a duct type collection system and link all the tools to the DC then I agree that a minimum of 1200 CFM's will be needed. If $400 is your budget then don't forget about the cost of the piping, blast gates, hangers, and pipe fittings you'll need to buy for the collection system.

The other side of that coin is that a 650 CFM DC will easily do the job if moved from machine to machine.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the Delta 50-720 650 CFM dust collecor that Lowes was clearing out. Hooked up to one machine at a time it works great, and the fact that it has a 1 micron bag and disposable lower bags is a big plus. If you can find it at a good price (mine was $67.00), and can live with just hooking it up to one machine at a time you will find it is way better than the shop vac. But if you really want a plumbed system you will need at least a 1.5 HP unit. Keep in mind though that the cost of connectors and pipes adds up real fast.

Comment

I have a 2hp grizzly that has been running without a problem for almost 9 years now.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

FYI:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/tls/1352142542.html

might be a little light weight, but it appears to be in line with single machine delta dust collectors. and for $50............
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              FYI:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/tls/1352142542.html

might be a little light weight, but it appears to be in line with single machine delta dust collectors. and for $50............
              I had a DC unit several years ago that was built just like this one. It was in the corner of my 10' x 20' shop, and it would pull from any single machine with no problem. With the inlet coming in from the top, it would be best if it was hard plumbed instead of moving it around to your machines with a flex hose. If it works as he says, it's a great bargain.

Comment

I am going to use the DC just on whatever machine I am using. There has been rare occassions where running two machines at once would be nice. I would like to put in a DC system but that is a longer term project. Since I plan to do something in the future I will look at the higher cfm units.

Comment

harbor freight has a coupon for its Dust Collector in the most recent issue of Wood Magazine for 139....

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/955

if you do the upgrades you got a nice dust collector for under 400 dollars.

Comment

I ended up with the Delta 50-720. After a lot of thought about how I plan to use the DC I came to the conculsion that the 50-720 was perfect for my needs. Unfortunately I couldnt find a local Lowes with any but the place I got it from is tool store I came acoss last week. They provide outstanding service and was happy to give them my business (cant say the same for HD or Lowes, very hit and miss).

Comment

Working...
                    X