X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Hardwoods on R4511

Can anybody share what the thickest hardwood the R4511 can rip efficiently without getting bogged down?

I run a thin kerf Freud 87R blade in mine, but I have not had the occasion to rip hardwood thicker than 3/4.

I want to build a small table soon for one of our bathrooms. For a change from my DIY home repair/ projects where I am usually ripping 2x4's or 3/4 inch sheet goods, I will make a trip to a lumber supply house and build this table with a denser hardwood, and probably have to seal it well since the bathroom can get steamy from showers.

Re: Cutting Hardwoods on R4511

There is no reason that saw shouldn't be able to handle 8/4 stock. Just take it easy, and use a good clean sharp blade. You can make 4/4 stock bog a saw down if you push it hard enough.

You could also rip it on a bandsaw if you have one.

Comment

Thanks 3rdtime. If the saw will cut 8/4 hardwood, then that will be plenty of thickness for me and the most I think I could reasonably expect out of that hp.

Comment

I cut 2.5" rock maple with it - if you'll check my woodworking bench blog - the part about the leg vise - I cut the entire slab of the leg vise with the saw to square it up and it's almost 2.5" thick

http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/10453

Comment

Thanks Purp, good to know the saw can handle the occasional thick piece of lumber!! I can't envision for my projects having to cut hardwood more than 1 1/2 - 2", and even that would rare, but nice to know you can do it if needed.

Comment

I have ripped 12/4 walnut on a 3650 which has the same or similar motor. Same blade as you, not problem at all.

Comment

Should I be able to bog down my saw with 1by pine?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmaster911 View Post
                Should I be able to bog down my saw with 1by pine?
                Not unless you are pinching the wood by either being out of alignment or really being overly aggressive in your feed rate, though that would be hard to do with 1x. That generally goes through as though the motor is idle waiting for some wood to be fed.

A warped piece of wood that is knotty could cause such a pinch as well but even that in soft 1x pine should go through okay.

Comment

I've cut through 2.5" of red oak with my TS3650 (using a Freud thin kerf ripping blade) , so I would expect the granite one can do it too. The trick is to just go slow and steady. I did have some burning, but the balance is that you can bog down going to fast, but will burn going too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
                    Can anybody share what the thickest hardwood the R4511 can rip efficiently without getting bogged down?

I run a thin kerf Freud 87R blade in mine, but I have not had the occasion to rip hardwood thicker than 3/4.

I want to build a small table soon for one of our bathrooms. For a change from my DIY home repair/ projects where I am usually ripping 2x4's or 3/4 inch sheet goods, I will make a trip to a lumber supply house and build this table with a denser hardwood, and probably have to seal it well since the bathroom can get steamy from showers.
                    I picked up a Freud Avanti 40 tooth TK blade from Lowes. It cuts 1.5" Red Oak with no sweat. I notice no marks/lines on the side of the Freud like the ridgid blade and a few others. I have a 60 tooth DeWalt that works great for crosscuts, no side marks, cuts clean.

Buck

Buck

Comment

What you can cut efficiently is dependent on a several things, and the saw is only one of them. Some of the things that contribute are the blade to fence alignment, saw blade cleanliness/sharpness/kerf width/tooth count & geometry, material thickness, material straightness, material moisture content, and the power supply itself. Wet warped wood will have a huge impact on the cutting efficiency regardless of the species. If the saw's circuit is marginal, is very long, or is supplying other appliances, it'll effect the cutting ability. A 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% thicker than a 3/32" TK. Pulley alignment, belt quality, and pulley balance can effect efficiency too.

Comment

Working...
                      X