X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Saw wont Start at all after 2 uses

So first off I want to let you know I'm a complete noob to this whole wood working stuff. However recently I have had a huge desire to learn so I bought me a saw table model number R4511 . However after 2 uses (literally) the saw will not start anymore when I switch it on. While I was cutting the 2nd board the saw just completely stopped and will not turn on or spin ever since then. Before I call customer service and and look pretty stupid on the phone, I wanted to ask here if I did something wrong? I want to know if there is anything I might have done that caused it to sht down like that? The blade appears to be straight. Also when I turn the switch on and off there is absolutly NO engine noise what so ever. Not even a little noise that would lead me to believe that something is obstructing the motion.

Your help is appreciated.

Re: R4511 Saw wont Start at all after 2 uses

Did you check the breaker?

Comment

The blade wont spin at all, even by hand? (be careful trying it)

If it wont spin at all, it could be a bigger issue. If it just wont turn on, check things like the breaker, etc. Im not sure if the motor on the saw itself has a breaker built into it or not, might want to check that.

Also check to make sure your yellow safety key is installed correctly.

Comment

It does spin if I move it by hand manually yes. What I meant was when I flip the switch on and off nothing happens (no sound at all).

A breaker sounds like it might just be the problem. However when I went through the manual I did not even know it had a breaker. Can you provide information on where this breaker is exactly? I'm not at home at the moment but I would guess it is attached to the switch box itself (the bow where I flip it on)?

Comment

I believe the breaker that was mentioned is the one in your electrical panel. You might have overloaded it during the cut, and it tripped the breaker, that is why the saw just stopped like that. Check that our first. There is no breaker or reset on the motor or switch on the saw.

Just curious, what type of wood and cut were you making when this happened?

Comment

Oh no, the outlet for electricity works just fine. I tested it just to be sure that wasn't the problem. So back to square one if the saw itself doesn't have a breaker.

The wood is just some white pine looking type I picked up at home depot, nothing fancy or extra thick.

Comment

It's possible but not likely, that a wire connection inside the junction box mounted to the saw came loose from vibration. I would make sure the saw is unplugged, and try opening that box (it's the square one attached to the top of the motor) to see if everything is tight in there. I would also trace the wire from the plug to the switch, and to the motor just to make sure all looks well there. If that doesn't find anything, and you are sure the outlet that the saw was plugged into, and I mean the exact receptical (sometimes a duplex outlet is on 2 different circuits) has juice, then it's beyond me.

Comment

there is also a reset on the motor itself. check it out

Comment

Originally posted by rjherald View Post
                  there is also a reset on the motor itself. check it out
                  I just checked my motor out, and it doesn't have a reset button. I wonder if they switched motor designs along the way.

Comment

Powershot, have not heard back from you. Did you get your saw running?

Comment

I'm going to try it tonight since I been working long hours at work I have not had a chance to check it all thoroughly. I will post it up a follow up though.

Comment

So it was a reset breaker in the electrical cord extension 0_o my bad!

Comment

Originally posted by powershot View Post
                          Remember STAR
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by powershot View Post
                            Powershot, remember to follow the manuals suggestion and use a heavy duty extension cord. I use a 12 gauge cord for mine that is about 6-8 ft. and that suffices for me to move it around where I need to in my shop.

If I remember the correctly the max is like 25ft 12 gauge ext. cord.
                            They cost more for the heavy gauge cords but they won't overheat your motor like the light gauge ones.

Comment

I had to run just under 25' to my saw to get it on its own 20 amp plug instead of the normal 15 amp. I think that this saw draws just too much to be on a 15amp. I have two buzz box extension cords so I changed one over to 110V and no worry now since the wire in the cord is #10. I would of changed to 220V if I had been able to. And a second advantage having it on it's own 20 plug and #10 wire is that I now run my 13 1/2" planer on the same circuit. Since I never run both at the same time the planer really likes the less resistance and runs better.

Charles
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X