Ultimate Power Deal from HD Back Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Power Deal from HD Back Again

If I were a manager at HD I wouldn't be real keen on giving you anything on a saw purchased 5 weeks ago either. Last 7 days maybe.

Let's be reasonable folks. There has to be a cutoff point. If he gives you money for a purchase made back in July...where is the cutoff? June...May...?? see my point?

Comment

The cutoff point for HD is 90 days. It's their written store policy. You may return anything in that time period for any reason. It's a good policy and it's one reason I feel comfortable purchasing something at HD. I know I can get the difference if something goes on sale within 90 days. If they don't want to honor 90 days, that's their business decision. Just change their written policy.

Comment

To be fair, HD do have the 90 day thing. But in the case of Ridgid tools, it's also Ridgid's policy, so if a particular HD has a problem with the 90 day thing on the part of the HD policy, tell them to poke it and invoke the Ridgid policy.

Sorted.

Comment

Boys,

Talking about two different things.

Yes, there is a 90 day satisfaction window for returning an item for a refund.

Has nothing to do with you going "oh, they have a new low price...let me go threaten to return this stuff so they will give me some money back".

OK so with this logic..you buy it on sale last week. Then the price goes up this week. Can they ask you to come give them some more money? Fair is fair.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
            ... Fair is fair....

I don't belive this about being fair. HD has a written return policy and a customer satisfaction statement on their website. Unless those statements are empty words, a customer has every right to ask for an adjustment in a situation like this.

My biggest complaint was about how the manager handled the situation. He had no sense of customer service and showed no respect for me as a long time customer.

Comment

The other stores do it (Menards especially). They started this whole mess now they have to honor it. Try asking someone in the store when the next deal is coming out, they will not tell you! If they would be more open people would be able to plan their major purchases, i.e. a table saw with a LSA, this is something you plan to buy once for life usually. I took advantage of the deal and got the jointer. The cheap cast iron on the outfeed adjustement clamp was broke making the outfeed un-adjustable. A phone call later I found out I could just bring in the offending part and they would take it from another in box in store. The cast iron table was a lot easier than the whole damn jointer. I didn't even have to sign anything. It's people driven sometimes you get Mr. Powertrip. Better luck next time and congrats on the $75. That's a nice new blade for your nice new saw!

Comment

Obviously some folks are suffering under a misconception of what the 90 day return policy is for...

It is a satisfaction gaurantee. If you are not satisfied with a product you may return it for a refund within 90 days of the purchase.

It is not a price satisfaction gaurantee...you must have been satisfied with the price when you bought it..otherwise WHY would you have paid it?? They didn't make you buy it.

Comment

As an educated NY consumer call it what you want,but if I can legally bring a product back in order to get a discount I will! When food shopping I go by the price marked on the shelves and if the register rings up a higher price I demand the lower price. I have left the line and come back with the label off the shelf and demanded they charge me what the product was adverised. I don't see any of this as abuse of the system, if there is a legal way to get the product cheaper than why the heck would you not take advantage? I would have gotten real loud and nasty with that dopey manager at HD and told him if he wants to keep a paying customer then he better get off his dead butt and do his best with a smile. Please, return anything within your rights and get that discount! If their policy with returns is a problem then let them change it, but for now insist they honor it.

Comment

I bought a 4511 last week and went in today to see what I could do and they said go for it. I went in and spent 400 more to get the 300 off and they were helpfull all the way. The store was in Columbia Missouri...Give them some of your money.

Comment

DaveWoodWork...eloquently said. couldn't agree with you more. all you, and others, are suggesting is strict observance of their (hd and ridgid's) policies.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I bought a twin stack Ridgid compressor 4 days before the deal came out so I went into my local HD this morning and they had no problems giving me the difference back .

Comment

Just to be fair, I have to agree with TomApple to some extent. While Home Depot and Ridgid both have a 90-day "Satisfaction" return policies, I believe it is there for the sole purpose of providing a smooth avenue in case you have a problem (whatever that may be) with the product that you purchased. In essence, that doesn't mean it's there as a "price protection" policy. If that were the case, then why would Home Depot have a separate "Price Protection Policy" which clearly states "30-days"!

I've never had a problem with getting a price adjustment within that 30-day period, and in fact, Home Depot personnel appear to be only too happy to see their customers get that savings.

But going back after that 30-day "price protection" period, under the guise of returning a product because you are NOT happy with it, in order to gain the price advantage is simply not playing by the rules, IMHO.

Of course one could look at it that you are not "satisfied" with the product because it's now cheaper, but that isn't the point and I believe that is what Tom is stating here.

So while I guess that someone might make the stretch in order to gain the savings, I see that as sort of coersion in a way. You're sort of threatening to return the product, thus costing Home Depot and Ridgid a portion of their margin, if they don't stretch the "price protection plan" just for you. I just can't see any other way of labelling it, considering you expect to go beyond the 30-day price guarantee of the store, by claiming, "I'm NOT satisfied with the product", when in fact you are. (What you're really not satisfied with is the fact that you missed out on the sale or refund!)

From a store manager's point of view, you're cheating and how does he then explain that as a transaction. He can't claim it as a "return for price adjustment" because it's well beyond store policy. He also can't claim it as a defective or problem tool, because it isn't. If it was, then he'd have it on the inventory to be returned to Ridgid for reconditioning. AND, if you actually did return it, and bought a duplicate for the lower sales price, then you are technically committing fraud. The store would now have to return a tool as defective, used, or damaged and it would have to then be shipped back, inspected, cleaned up and then sent to a contract vendor for sale as a reconditioned tool.

So while you, the customer, may not be happy that you missed the sale price, refund, or whatever... you are basically placing the burden of your misfortune on the store and the manufacturer, adding considerable cost in shipping and reconditioning to their bottom line.

To compare this to buying food in a store and catching them at raising the price over the posted shelf price is really not a fair comparison either. Perhaps more comparable would be buying strawberries in March when they're totally out of season and fairly high priced and then returning them in July (somewhat spoiled) and expecting the store manager to give you a fresh product and refunding the price difference. That wouldn't be particularly fair, would it?

But for all that, I understand that I'm going to be at odds with many of you. Personally I wouldn't go beyond the 30-day price guarantee because that's just the way I am. I'm also not that money oriented and would just figure that I missed out on this one. Such things happen on occasion.

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            Just to be fair, I have to agree with TomApple to some extent. While Home Depot and Ridgid both have a 90-day "Satisfaction" return policies, I believe it is there for the sole purpose of providing a smooth avenue in case you have a problem (whatever that may be) with the product that you purchased. In essence, that doesn't mean it's there as a "price protection" policy. If that were the case, then why would Home Depot have a separate "Price Protection Policy" which clearly states "30-days"!

I've never had a problem with getting a price adjustment within that 30-day period, and in fact, Home Depot personnel appear to be only too happy to see their customers get that savings.

But going back after that 30-day "price protection" period, under the guise of returning a product because you are NOT happy with it, in order to gain the price advantage is simply not playing by the rules, IMHO.

Of course one could look at it that you are not "satisfied" with the product because it's now cheaper, but that isn't the point and I believe that is what Tom is stating here.

So while I guess that someone might make the stretch in order to gain the savings, I see that as sort of coersion in a way. You're sort of threatening to return the product, thus costing Home Depot and Ridgid a portion of their margin, if they don't stretch the "price protection plan" just for you. I just can't see any other way of labelling it, considering you expect to go beyond the 30-day price guarantee of the store, by claiming, "I'm NOT satisfied with the product", when in fact you are. (What you're really not satisfied with is the fact that you missed out on the sale or refund!)

From a store manager's point of view, you're cheating and how does he then explain that as a transaction. He can't claim it as a "return for price adjustment" because it's well beyond store policy. He also can't claim it as a defective or problem tool, because it isn't. If it was, then he'd have it on the inventory to be returned to Ridgid for reconditioning. AND, if you actually did return it, and bought a duplicate for the lower sales price, then you are technically committing fraud. The store would now have to return a tool as defective, used, or damaged and it would have to then be shipped back, inspected, cleaned up and then sent to a contract vendor for sale as a reconditioned tool.

So while you, the customer, may not be happy that you missed the sale price, refund, or whatever... you are basically placing the burden of your misfortune on the store and the manufacturer, adding considerable cost in shipping and reconditioning to their bottom line.

To compare this to buying food in a store and catching them at raising the price over the posted shelf price is really not a fair comparison either. Perhaps more comparable would be buying strawberries in March when they're totally out of season and fairly high priced and then returning them in July (somewhat spoiled) and expecting the store manager to give you a fresh product and refunding the price difference. That wouldn't be particularly fair, would it?

But for all that, I understand that I'm going to be at odds with many of you. Personally I wouldn't go beyond the 30-day price guarantee because that's just the way I am. I'm also not that money oriented and would just figure that I missed out on this one. Such things happen on occasion.

CWS
                            Good post, but I have to respectfully disagree with one thing you said.
                            "But going back after that 30-day "price protection" period, under the guise of returning a product because you are NOT happy with it, in order to gain the price advantage is simply not playing by the rules, IMHO."
                            When it comes to Home Depot, in my book of life, there is NO playing by the rules! I remember life before Home Depot, smaller hardware stores, nurseries and other Mom and Pop stores that served the community and took part in some level of competition with similar small stores. Home Depot set up shop and destroyed all their competiton, changing the face of shopping for tools, lumber and other such supplies forever. When I shop Home Depot, I purchase in good faith and do not abuse whatever I buy, however if there is a loophole through which I can save money I will take it because it was Home Depot not I who rewrote the rule book of what's fair. Maybe next time they won't pay a CEO 200 million dollars to leave. Just my opinion.

Comment

Franki,

While I understand your frustrations with Home Depot, I respectfully disagree with your premise. Home Depot, like any big box store (Lowes, Walmart, Target, etc.) expands because we, the consumer, wants them to. Like all things, evolution takes place because conditions warrant.

Many small "mom and pop" store still survive and that is because they have the business sense to do so. They've found their "niche" and perhaps the proprietors are unique in their professions as "merchants".

But many, many more "Mom and Pops" have expired. Often the reason is that they simply cannot compete and that, I'm sure is what you are addressing. But one has to look at why most have failed; and in many cases, it's because they cannot possibly compete for a customer's satisfaction in just such cases as we've been talking about.

I'm not sure what your business is, but whatever...put yourself in a position where you sell your services at a fixed price because you're really busy and your time and services demand a certain "appreciation". But then a situation pops up that warrants a price reduction. That could simply be that business has been so good that your profits can afford give a little incentive to prospective customers; or you find yourself with excess inventory, or there's a new product and you want to get rid of the old inventory, or it simply may be that business is slowing up. So whatever, you decide to drop the price a meager $10 (whether that be for merchentdized item or an hourly rate).

Now, a whole bunch of customers come back at you and demand a refund for what you charged them. How long do you think you could handle that?

Customers flock to the big box stores because they like the selection and the service; AND, they like to be able to take things back without a hassle or even be able to push the "satisfaction" thing a little bit, returning product because it is no longer liked, even though it served it's purpose well. That's what the "mom and pops" couldn't handle. Refunds came directly out of pocket book. No small merchant can handle that.

But to the subject at hand: If we the customer make it a common practice to take false advantage of "loopholes" like the Home Depot 90-day satisfaction policy, then Home Depot will eventually analyse the cost loss and will close it down. Especially when such mindsets are publically aired and discussed with consensus. Neither TTI, Ridgid, or Home Depot are stupid and when customer opinion has reached agreement that this is a good avenue to "get even", it would only be natural for the "loophole" to be closed. Then, when we really find dis-satisfaction with a product, life as a consumer will get more difficult.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                                But to the subject at hand: If we the customer make it a common practice to take false advantage of "loopholes" like the Home Depot 90-day satisfaction policy, then Home Depot will eventually analyse the cost loss and will close it down. Especially when such mindsets are publically aired and discussed with consensus. Neither TTI, Ridgid, or Home Depot are stupid and when customer opinion has reached agreement that this is a good avenue to "get even", it would only be natural for the "loophole" to be closed. Then, when we really find dis-satisfaction with a product, life as a consumer will get more difficult
                                Consumers have contributed to many changes in the market practices such as "15% restocking charges", "14 day returns if unopened or exchange only if defective", ETC. Outside of the US some retailers are not as liberal with exchanges or refunds and post signs stating NO refunds/Exchanges.

Comment

Working...
                                X