X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Power Deal from HD Back Again

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    Franki,

While I understand your frustrations with Home Depot, I respectfully disagree with your premise. Home Depot, like any big box store (Lowes, Walmart, Target, etc.) expands because we, the consumer, wants them to. Like all things, evolution takes place because conditions warrant.

Many small "mom and pop" store still survive and that is because they have the business sense to do so. They've found their "niche" and perhaps the proprietors are unique in their professions as "merchants".

But many, many more "Mom and Pops" have expired. Often the reason is that they simply cannot compete and that, I'm sure is what you are addressing. But one has to look at why most have failed; and in many cases, it's because they cannot possibly compete for a customer's satisfaction in just such cases as we've been talking about.

I'm not sure what your business is, but whatever...put yourself in a position where you sell your services at a fixed price because you're really busy and your time and services demand a certain "appreciation". But then a situation pops up that warrants a price reduction. That could simply be that business has been so good that your profits can afford give a little incentive to prospective customers; or you find yourself with excess inventory, or there's a new product and you want to get rid of the old inventory, or it simply may be that business is slowing up. So whatever, you decide to drop the price a meager $10 (whether that be for merchentdized item or an hourly rate).

Now, a whole bunch of customers come back at you and demand a refund for what you charged them. How long do you think you could handle that?

Customers flock to the big box stores because they like the selection and the service; AND, they like to be able to take things back without a hassle or even be able to push the "satisfaction" thing a little bit, returning product because it is no longer liked, even though it served it's purpose well. That's what the "mom and pops" couldn't handle. Refunds came directly out of pocket book. No small merchant can handle that.

But to the subject at hand: If we the customer make it a common practice to take false advantage of "loopholes" like the Home Depot 90-day satisfaction policy, then Home Depot will eventually analyse the cost loss and will close it down. Especially when such mindsets are publically aired and discussed with consensus. Neither TTI, Ridgid, or Home Depot are stupid and when customer opinion has reached agreement that this is a good avenue to "get even", it would only be natural for the "loophole" to be closed. Then, when we really find dis-satisfaction with a product, life as a consumer will get more difficult.

CWS
    Wealthy people take full advantage of "loopholes" and feel just fine doing so. Home Depot felt fine paying nardelli 200 million dollars to exit. I think they had better feel fine paying customers through their self made loopholes in order to get return business, or else restructure the loopholes. We can't apply one set of rules for the rich and another for the working slobs.

Comment

ReConx,

That is my point, exactly. Perhaps it will happen anyway, but when people twist the "generosity" of something like a "30-day price guarantee" or a "90-day Satisfaction guarantee" the host retailer will take steps to remove it.

Franki,

I don't see one having anything to do with the other and I don't see where that puts vengence into the hands of the consumer (maybe the stockholder though!); but hey, whatever floats your boat!

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-05-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        ReConx,

That is my point, exactly. Perhaps it will happen anyway, but when people twist the "generosity" of something like a "30-day price guarantee" or a "90-day Satisfaction guarantee" the host retailer will take steps to remove it.

Franki,

I don't see one having anything to do with the other and I don't see where that puts vengence into the hands of the consumer (maybe the stockholder though!); but hey, whatever floats your boat!

CWS
        Business is business, any expert will tell you it is based on numbers and has little to do with "generosity". There are policies and business practices to be made aware of and either be punished or benefitted by given your behavior. The educated consumer has an obligation to get the best deal for the money, legally. If it is not "illegal" to return a product within the time determined by the store, then I extrapolate I am doing nothing illegal or improper. Regarding vengence and the consumer as opposed to the stock holder, profit or loss by a company is often passed on to the consumer. If the manager mentioned in an earlier post who was so concerned with his employees, instead of harassing a paying customer, I suggest he petition his company to not be so generous and wasteful with their millions of dollars of hard earned income by handing it off to one person! I also suggest that if businesses like Home Depot continue to abuse customers with disrespect and failure to honor in good faith their own mandates and warranties, their businesses will suffer. The consumer has the choice of where to shop and where and how to spend their money. I make that clear with the business people I deal with, my money is my bargaining chip and my strength of character demands I get the best and the most for my money. I would never! and I mean never allow a manager who represents a store insult or demean me for trying to either get a deal or get service that was promised in writing!
        But that's me, some folks just don't have the stomach to fight for their rights, they let things go. Judging by the condition of our country I don't think it's the best idea.

Comment

Well, trying to get the price difference refunded to you after the retailer's 30-day price protection plan IS not exactly standing up for your rights... it's taking advantage of a "loophole" as you term it. But it is apparent that you don't see it that way, so I guess we disagree.

End of discussion!

CWS

Comment

I just got a great deal at HD thanks to the Ultimate Power Deal!

I bought the R4511 Granite Top table saw ive been eyeing for a few months.

R4511 Regular price $599....which gave me $75 off instantly......Then I bought a 2-pack of Black Oxide 1/8" drill bits for $1.99 which made my total $601, so i got $150 off instantly due to breaking into the $600+ tier!

Comment

JCG,

WAY TO GO!

I was just in HD the other day and was talking with a friend and we were wondering home many people would just go after the $75 off, without giving any thought to just making another minor purchase.

I hope you enjoy the new saw and congratulations on the great buy.

CWS

Comment

I did the same thing last time they were running the UPD, got the Ridgid drill press and then added a sleeve of brad nails to get to the next discount level. The cashier thought it was very clever.

Comment

I can't believe some of the deals they have. A joiner/planer originaly for 429.00 marked down to 329.00 then another 75.00 off of that now 275.00. I could'nt pass it up, this was after the previous week when I bought a milwaukee 12" mitersaw and a 13" surface planer saving 300.00 in the deal. Some body stop before I spend again!

Comment

I'm going to be taking advantage of this for sure.. Though I was looking at the Grizzly G0661, a hit to the pocket book set me back so I can't get it.. Must say, the R4511 seems to rival it in features for far less.

Oh.. Know some people say they do the Lowes project starter cards and match.. No joy here in KY for that.. Ah well. Still a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                      Went back to the local HD store this morning with receipts from my r4511 (purch 7/27) and Dremel Multi Max (purch 9/2). Asked for an adjustment...then things went down hill. At first the manager said he would adjust only the Multi Max (doesn't make sense since it was $99 and didn't even qualify for the Ultimate Power Deal). After a little more conversation (civil on my part, disrespectful on his), I then I indicated I'd just return both items, get a refund (both were with the 90 days refund period) and repurchase the items and get the discount. Then he said I was trying to "beat the system" and if everyone did this it would affect the stores bottom line and his employees pay. After more conversation (again civil on my part, disrespectful on his) he finally agreed to the $75 discount on the table saw only, and said that he was the "manager" and did not have to give me anything.

All-in-all a disappointing visit to HD. I'm not as upset about the discount situation as much as I am about the way the "manager" treated me, a long time customer. I sent an email to HD customer service expressing my disatisfaction...we'll see what they have to say.

As a follow-up to the above situation...I have received 3 responses from HD each one apologizing for the service I received. They also offerred a generous gift card as well. I was satisfied with the apologizes, the gift card exceeded my expectations. I'm very pleased that they are concerned about customer service. I doubt I will return to the HD store where I had the problem, but there are several other HD stores in the area that will now get my business.

As a side note, I appreciate all the responses to my initial post...even the ones that did not agree with me. I enjoy forums like this one where adults can post their thoughts and differences without being crude and obnoxious.

Now, back to woodworking.....

Comment

Hello all, purchased my first new orange and gray piece, hopefully more to come in the future!

Purchased a r4511 and Husky 30 gal compressor today, what a hell of a deal. A grand and change reduced to 7 notes?! To top it off, the $300 "instant" savings is truly instant-in other words, the sales tax is applied to the purchase AFTER the $300 knockdown! How awesome.

But a quick question for y'all, I'm starting to collect the tools I need (bit by bit until the Ultimate Power Deal!) to keep a small shop in my garage, and am wondering about the Ridgid 14" band saw, known to have wheel problems, bad balance, vibration, etc... I am not a pro, if I was I'd do the adjusting others have been talking about in some reviews I've read... So the question is-have any of the problems been fixed or improved upon by Ridgid?
                        Last edited by Jack_the_Hack; 09-15-2009, 01:32 AM. Reason: Introduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_the_Hack View Post
                          But a quick question for y'all, I'm starting to collect the tools I need (bit by bit until the Ultimate Power Deal!) to keep a small shop in my garage, and am wondering about the Ridgid 14" band saw, known to have wheel problems, bad balance, vibration, etc... I am not a pro, if I was I'd do the adjusting others have been talking about in some reviews I've read... So the question is-have any of the problems been fixed or improved upon by Ridgid?
                          The bands aw is not yet improved.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, cpw.

Comment

I went to HD yesterday to buy a Ridgid portable generator and a pnuematic stapler, I was told that only standby generators qualify for the power deal, so no salewas made! When I got home I went on HD's website and started to place an order for what I wanted to purchase at the store just to see if I could get the power deal on-line. Low and behold HD on-line accepts the power deal code and shows a $300 discount at the checkout screen. So I printed out the checkout screen image and took it back to HD to show customer service. They looked at it, made a call to the manager, and he told them to honor it. So I scored a nice 6800 watt Ridgid generator and a Bostich narrow crown stapler for $708.00.

millman

Comment

yeah this deal is pretty hit or miss.

Went to check out with my DW735 planer (on clearance for $137!!) and a pack of sandpaper for my Ridgid sander. Power tool and a power tool accessory totalling over 149.

No go! "sorry sir its a per item total, so you need one item over 149".

Not quite sure thats true or not (doesnt really seem like it), so I told em no thanks on the sandpaper (it was only there to get me over 149). Of course I bought the $137.00 DW735 though

Comment

Working...
                                X