X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Power Deal from HD Back Again

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
    yeah this deal is pretty hit or miss.

Went to check out with my DW735 planer (on clearance for $137!!) and a pack of sandpaper for my Ridgid sander. Power tool and a power tool accessory totalling over 149.

No go! "sorry sir its a per item total, so you need one item over 149".

Not quite sure thats true or not (doesnt really seem like it), so I told em no thanks on the sandpaper (it was only there to get me over 149). Of course I bought the $137.00 DW735 though
    Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation (I am prone), that sounds like BS chrisexv6. I'd wager because it's clearance he didn't want to do it, and since there's no mention of clearance items being barred on the promotion he couldn't use that excuse. Many guys have been getting little things like what you got to get over the total. I got a 3 pack of DeWalt phillips bits to put me over the $1000 range. Sounds like you got a deal anyway though.

Comment

Yeah, I figured it was BS. And he actually told me this *before* realizing the planer was on clearance.

Ive had issues with this HD before...I will only buy stuff I need right away from them (or the occasional clearance deal that they post on their shelves, because Lord knows they wont match another HD).

Funny aside - one local HD had the planer clearanced to 274. The store I just had the issue with had it clearanced at 411, and they refused to match the 274 price. Here we are a month later and they sold it to me for 137.01 (price marked on shelf), so basically they lost about 137.00.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
        Yeah, I figured it was BS. And he actually told me this *before* realizing the planer was on clearance.
        I figure it is BS too, but for $137 on a DW735, I would take the BS and know that I'm the one making out like a bandit.

Comment

Chris, I have planer envy.
          I have been waiting and waiting for a clearance on that unit and my local HD still has it listed for $649, on their web site.

May go by this evening after work to physically check it out.
          $137, is just an incredible deal on that planer. You made out dude. Congrats.

Comment

chrisexv6... two questions : which hd had it for 137 and did you see any more? thanks.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Stratford CT HD had one left. I had been watching it for a while (after Orange had one for 274). Its just been sitting there for the last 6 or 7 months. They finally marked it down on sept 8, went there on sept 12 and it was still there so I bought it.

Not sure if any other stores around here have any left, a lot of people bought em up at 274.

Comment

chrisexv6..any chance you could post a copy of the receipt. could provide some leverage with HDs local to me. those stores all have several 735s. it would be appreciated.

Comment

Will try tomorrow. Since I dont have a scanner I have to fax myself a copy of the receipt People by the fax machine think Im some sort of insane!

BTW, which stores have DW735s? Pretty sure Orange and Stratford are sold out (unless you know some secret hiding spots I dont!! Ive been monitoring overhead storage like I usually do, and didnt see any left)

Comment

thanks for the effort. don't know which HDs in Ct have 735s. i'll be trying to convince some managers in lower Ct and northern westchester cty, NY to honor the clearance price. for 137, that's a deal that can't be passed up. also, i remember calling that store and they told me the system indicated none on hand. congrats on the find. good bargains for those who conscientiously hunt the overheads!

Comment

Yeah their inventory always seems messed up.

I really think the only reason Stratford finally dropped their price is because their inventory said 0 on hand, so the price ending in .01 might indicate they are actually supposed to send them back to vendor for credit. When I inquired about the price for the planer (over the phone) they said they had zero in stock. Went to the store immediately and it was still sitting where its been forever. And this time they actually put the correct yellow sticker price on the shelf above it......I still cant believe no one bought it, I shoulda taken a pic of the sticker "was 549 now 137.01".

Ive always wondered what the computer says after you buy 1 of something they had 0 on hand of. -1 left?

BTW, as far as lower CT, you might have the best luck at the Fairfield or Bridgeport stores. They always seem to be busy, a lot of contractors around that area so those locations are always pretty stocked. I found my $75.00 DeWalt 3 base router kit in overhead at the Bridgeport HD a while back.

Comment

I never find deals like that.. The best I ever got was a Firestorm 24-Volt Cordless drill for $25, which thrilled me.. I keep looking for these deep discounted stuff (like the stacked dado @ Lowes) and never find any.. Though they do have it on sale, for like.. 89...

Oh well.. Guess it's all in the timing and luck of the draw.

Comment

chrisexv6...fyi, their inventory system can show negative quantities on hand. how an internal auditor or controller doesn't make an issue out of something like that is beyond me. btw, you sure that sticker didn't say "was $649 now $137.01"? all the 735s down this way are $649.

Comment

jack the hack...although the ridgid 14" bandsaw has been much maligned on this forum, the october, 2006 issue of wood magazine had an article about michael fortune(MF) and his band saws, one of which is the 14" ridgid. MF is a noted furniture designer and builder and the article notes that his tool of choice is the bandsaw.

in the article, MF speaks quite highly of his ridgid saw, comparing it favorably to a $1000 general intl bandsaw. the article mentions none of the problems noted on the forum but does take the reader through a tune up and outfitting so as to maximize the utility of the saw.

i was close to pulling the trigger on one (UPD and all) adn would have, had i not stumbled across a craigslist deal on an 18" jet bandsaw for $35 ( but that's another story). after reading the article, i would humbly suggest you take a look at it. when i emailed MF and asked if the story represented him accuratley regarding the ridgid saw, he replied that he stood by every favorable comment he made regarding the saw. FWIW.

Comment

Sounds like you've done some homework, FINER9998.

I will see if I can track the article down, hopefully on the web somewhere.

Being that MF encountered none of the problems described by some users here, I have to wonder about the saw he was given, if it was any different for some reason. In anycase, it is worth it to track down that article regardless.

By the way, checked out his website, and wow. If HE likes it so much.....hm... Time to do some homework!

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                                chrisexv6...fyi, their inventory system can show negative quantities on hand. how an internal auditor or controller doesn't make an issue out of something like that is beyond me. btw, you sure that sticker didn't say "was $649 now $137.01"? all the 735s down this way are $649.
                                At one time in Stratford it was 549 (that was the first clearance), then 411, then the large jump from 411 to 137.01.

Attached is a copy of the receipt in JPG form. It didnt come out perfect but hopefully it works for you!

-Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X