Birthday present suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday present suggestions

It's that time of the year again for me, and it just so happens the HD Ultimate Power deal is on. So my budget is $300 (after the instant rebate), and that puts me squarely in the frame for a shiny new bandsaw.

I already have a TS, DP and SCMS in the shop I'm building up, together with a dust collector. For the $300 budget, I'd also be in the frame for the RIDGID planer, but I'm thinking the bandsaw would be a more useful addition to the shop. If it was really the right thing to do, I could push the budget to the jointer,but I'm even less convinced than the planer on that.

I do general carpentry tasks round the house, bookshelves, slow-time basement finish etc. I have quite a few cordless tools, drills (6 of them, don't ask why!), circular saws, jigsaw, routers, sanders etc.

So what's the collective wisdom? Anything I ought to be looking at instead?

Re: Birthday present suggestions

I have a bandsaw, planer and jointer. I think for tasks around the house, the bandsaw might serve you best (jointer and planer more for fine joinery, etc).

However, Im not sure the Ridgid bandsaw is the correct choice. There have been a few complaints about it.....some easily and some not so easily fixed (someone around here had a nice write up on exactly what they did to lower vibrations, etc on theirs). The Ultimate power Tool Deal is nice, but just not sure you want the Ridgid bandsaw or not. Unfortunately, Im not sure what other models would be in the same budget range. I have a Delta 14" (Chinese delta) that works pretty well, but even that one is 399 at Lowes.

Dont discount the jointer from your budget, if you chose to go that way. Some HDs are clearancing the jointer at half price (~240 or so!!), and Ive read better opinions on the jointer than the bandsaw. So its worth looking around if you really want to go jointer instead.

Comment

I may be wrong about this, but if I were entertaining thoughts of a planer or jointer, I'd probably ask myself how much unfinished (rough timber) and I going to be handling. I suppose it you're buying most of your wood in a finished state, like the lumber yard, a planer and jointer may have a fairly limited use. Of course that depends on whether or not you can live with the close, but not precise dimensions of lumber yard stock.

Do you have a good router table? Building some of the projects that you mention, I think would be greatly enhanced with the addition of a router table. You can even "joint" on it.

In my little shop, I have table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, small bandsaw, and a bench top belt/disc sander and a router table. I have a Ridgid 1300 planer, but it's still NIB and hasn't been set up yet. Maybe next year, if I get the shop setup out in the garage. In order of use, I would have to say my Table Saw is first, followed very closely by my RAS; then Drill Press, router table, and finally the bandsaw. Occasionally I use the belt/disc sander for trim, but mostly for touching up jigs and fixtures. But, all that depends on what kind of work you are doing and certainly by the style of the project. (I'm more for contemporary with it's straight smooth lines. If I was into curves, scallops and such, the bandsaw would be much higher on the list. But that said, the bandsaw is just a terrific tool to have around... even if its just a small, inexpensive one like my little 9".)

Beyond the recommendation of a router table, there's always the need for more router bits, clamps, sharpening equipment, etc.

Nice position to be put in, how to spend that $300!

Good hunting,

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM. Reason: Incomplete and poor sentence structure.

Comment

I would revisit the bandsaw vs. planer debate...

I got a planer long before my bandsaw (Ridgid, FYI) and used it on most if not all projects. It's *shocking* how much lumber comes from borgs and even lumberyards that is not actually the true dimension you'd expect.

Occasional 1-by's are a 32nd too thick.. One side of most cedar boards is very rough and they're often 32nd to a 16th thicker then 3/4"... and so on. Nevermind all the capabilities it gives you with rough lumber... You *can* use a planer like a jointer, with a shop-made sled, etc, and letting (released) wood tension work for you.

A bandsaw is inestimably useful, don't get me wrong. But with the exception of resawing, it doesn't do much you can't also do with a jigsaw. Bosch JS5 is a darn skippy jigsaw and can be found for about $60.

You'll find a couple of threads, including a great deal of info I posted, as to some of the upgrades the Rigdgid bandsaw *requires* and some more that you should consider. The price of a fully-quality-functioning BS1400 is a hundred or more above the receipt price paid.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live near a store that is clearancing the DeWalt DW735 planer, they are rumored to be going for $274!

As CWSmith alluded to, you don't mention a router. If you don't have a router yet, this should be your next purchase. Arguably, the most versatile and useful power tool, behind a tablesaw.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wood_Junkie;250996]

If you happen to be lucky enough to live near a store that is clearancing the DeWalt DW735 planer, they are rumored to be going for $274!

QUOTE]
          I wish my HD was clearing out the DW735 for that price, I would jump all over it. The price they list is about $50 less the full retail.

I was reading an artcile on FineWoodworking.com and the author said the first shop tool should be a planer (he makes a good case for it but personally I think a TS has to come first).

Comment

I wish my HD was clearing out the DW735 for that price, I would jump all over it
            If the DW735 is going for that price, RUN, don't walk and grab one ASAP.

I wonder though if this is actually the DW734 that is being closed out for this price, as the DW735 was over $500 last I checked.

Even the online sellers are just under $500.

http://www.nextag.com/DeWalt-DW735/compare-html
            Last edited by Bob D.; 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

It is definately the DW735. But, it is only at the $274 price in select stores. At the other stores that have remaining inventory it is at $411.

If you have seen it for $50 less than the retail price (which is $649 I believe) it is mispriced. HD is no longer going to carry this model (only the DW734)

Comment

My local HD never has the great clearance prices that other stores seem to (based on comments by poeple posting in forums).

Comment

Definitely the DW735, I picked one up I started a thread on sawmillcreek.org about it. A few people from various areas around the country were able to receive the price (either by the store selling it for that price, or the store matching receipts from other people that got the price).

There might also be a thread on woodnet forums about it, with a receipt scan included if you want to give it a shot (Id refer you to sawmillcreek but I think you have to be a paid member to see the images)

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    I may be wrong about this, but if I were entertaining thoughts of a planer or jointer, I'd probably ask myself how much unfinished (rough timber) and I going to be handling. I suppose it you're buying most of your wood in a finished state, like the lumber yard, a planer and jointer may have a fairly limited use. Of course that depends on whether or not you can live with the close, but not precise dimensions of lumber yard stock.

Do you have a good router table? Building some of the projects that you mention, I think would be greatly enhanced with the addition of a router table. You can even "joint" on it.

In my little shop, I have table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, small bandsaw, and a bench top belt/disc sander and a router table. I have a Ridgid 1300 planer, but it's still NIB and hasn't been set up yet. Maybe next year, if I get the shop setup out in the garage. In order of use, I would have to say my Table Saw is first, followed very closely by my RAS; then Drill Press, router table, and finally the bandsaw. Occasionally I use the belt/disc sander for trim, but mostly for touching up jigs and fixtures. But, all that depends on what kind of work you are doing and certainly by the style of the project. (I'm more for contemporary with it's straight smooth lines. If I was into curves, scallops and such, the bandsaw would be much higher on the list. But that said, the bandsaw is just a terrific tool to have around... even if its just a small, inexpensive one like my little 9".)

Beyond the recommendation of a router table, there's always the need for more router bits, clamps, sharpening equipment, etc.

Nice position to be put in, how to spend that $300!

Good hunting,

CWS
                    Thanks to all for their replies. I do have a router, actually two. I have the Ridgid double base one, which is a very nice tool, and also a cheap and cheerful 220V one that I have mounted in a shop-built (lashed up!) router table.

CWS's comment above about straight lines is what is confirming my preference for bandsaw over planer though. Everything I have cuts straight, apart from my jigsaw, which I seem to have a natural gift for cutting irregularly with

I checked my HD last night, no clearance planers or jointers. Or any other power tool for that matter. I think once I have turned a lot more pine and plywood into shavings, offcuts and the odd success, I would get more value from a planer or jointer. I don't feel confident enough in my skills yet to let loose on some expensive wood.

You wouldn't believe how many "paint stirring sticks" I have made

Comment

Update - my local HD is selling the DW735 for $521. I asked an employee about the price and said it was set by Atlanta. However I am sure if asked another employee I would get a different answer.

Comment

Tool belts are always an exciting gift =p

Comment

Clamps. You can never have too many clamps. I have been getting Jorgensen Handscrews-- at my request-- for years now.

As for machinery, my list, in order of importance would be;

Table Saw
                          Planer
                          Jointer
                          Router w/table
                          Cut-Off saw
                          Drill Press
                          Dust Collector
                          Drum Sander

The dust collection would be nice from the get-go, but if cash is tight, can be put off. I would love a band saw, but can do the same work (except resawing) with a jigsaw. The only machine on the list I do not own is the drum sander, which I could really use right now as I am building a Victorian Gingerbread style playhouse for my daughter that has tons of curves and cutouts.

Also, a tip. Never run plywood through a planer or jointer. The glueline will dull your knives in a heartbeat.

Mark
                          Open Design Project

Comment

i agree. clamps, clamps and more clamps.... the only way to tackle that is a few at a time. $$$$$

how about the K3 kreg pocket hole jig kit. i think you can pick one up these days for less than 140-. they do work great.
                            Last edited by onedkcharette; 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I gave my brother-in-law a Kreg pocket hole jig for Christmas two years ago, and my wife just informed me that he never used it---until a couple of weeks ago. Now she says he loves it. You can give a gift, but you cant force the recipient to appreciate how damn nice it is.......

Mark
                              Open Design Project

Comment

Working...
                              X