New arbor on TS3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arbor on TS3650

First time poster, medium time “lurker….

I have been interested in wood working for many years. I just moved from a home office to 1800 sq ft of new offices. I ended up having to make a few tenant improvements. I managed to justify to myself buying a decent table saw. I chose the Rigid TS3650.

Of course, by opening a commercial charge account at Home Depot, I got half on the saw! It was pretty easy to justify.

Since I do my dados with my router, I wasn’t all that worried about the “old arbor” problem.

However, after taking a look at it, it appears that I have one of the new arbors without the “shoulder”. The Date code on my saw is: P0511. I think this may be the earliest date code with the new arbor posted so far.

A picture of the arbor is at: Arbor photo

We use legal sized file jackets. I didn’t want a room full of file cabinets, so…I designed and built a couple of file shelf units. I figure these will last us through 2007.

A photo of the shelves are at: file shelves

I had a lot of fun making sawdust this past weekend!

Next project, stabilizers for the TS3650 base and a set of bookshelves for my new office!

So, a question:

I’m looking for a good book on table saw wood working and joinery. I’m really interested in finger joints with the table saw. Can you gentlemen suggest and titles?
    Ian Wilson

A couple of good table saw books are;

1. The Table Saw Book by Kelly Mehler, ISBN 1-56158-426-6
    2. Table Saw Magic by Jim Tolpin, ISBN 1-55870-512-0

You might want to also take a look at Albert Jackson's & David Day's, Good Wood Joints, ISBN 1-55870-539-2. It covers many different styles of wood joints and the tools required to make them.

[ 09-07-2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ianw2:

Of course, by opening a commercial charge account at Home Depot, I got half on the saw! It was pretty easy to justify.

Tell me more about the 50% off for opening a commercial account. I haven't heard about this yet.
      Rev Ed

Comment

Of course, HD is my favorite "toy store".

As a Land Surveyor, I buy 1-1/4" heavy wall PVC in 10’ sticks and 4’ "U"-Posts to mark property corners in the bush. (I specialize in boundary surveying and survey a lot of large parcels of raw land. HD is where I buy my supplies.

One day, while checking out at the Contractor’s Counter, I noticed a sign that invited me to sign up for a Corporate Revolving Charge Account. In return for signing up, I got a certificate for 50% off on any power tool in the store up to a total discount of $300.

Since I’d been eyeing the Rigid TS3650 for some time and I could finally justify the purchase due to the tenant improvements I needed to make on our new offices, the 50% off deal just iced the cake.

I really like my new table saw!

I borrowed my father-in-laws pneumatic brad nailer and his pneumatic stapler to build the file shelves. He kept them in an old cardboard box. The box was falling apart. So, I knocked out a custom built box for them using left over ¾" oak plywood from the shelves. A few pieces of shiny brass hardware (also from HD) and some time making sawdust and I’d built a box for him with 45° mitered edge joints.

The box got me to thinking about other styles of joints I could have made. That prompted the request for suggestions on books and joinery. Perhaps I’ll remake the box using two contrasting woods put together with finger joints. It would make a pretty cool Christmas present for a really cool father-in-law!

Talk to the store manager at your local HD. If hew doesn’t know anything about it, have him call the manager at the HD store in Temecula on Highway 79 South.

Oh! Another terrific result of making the file shelves and the box: my wife realized that working with wood was very relaxing for me! So…now I get to decide which tool I want next and which brand/model. Last night, she told me that a good wood working power tool would solve her Christmas present problem for me and provide me the basics for a relaxing hobby! Decisions, decisions, decisions… A band saw, a jointer/planer, a drill press, a shaper/sander…

Any suggestions?
        Ian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by ianw2:
          ..........Last night, she told me that a good wood working power tool would solve her Christmas present problem for me......... Decisions, decisions, decisions… A band saw, a jointer/planer, a drill press, a shaper/sander…

Any suggestions?
          Thats easy, all of the above. Of course you'll also "need" a dust collector, jigsaw, router, miter saw, cordless drill/driver, circular saw, pneumatic brad nailer, compressor, clamps, lots of clamps, and a zillion other necessities. Merry Christmas!
          I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X