Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand saws

are normal hand saws good for anything? lol

Re: hand saws

Well I'm sure there are still some purists out there that prefer the finer points of cutting by hand.

There's also the thought that some of today's carpenters need a backup on those days when they cut their power cords in half.

CWS

Comment

For a single or small number of cross cuts, I see the main advantage is that one can fit in your toolbox and is quiet (e.g., in some apartments you can't use power tools on the weekend). I also find that with some hand tools, like a coping saw, you can perform some operations more safely than with a power tool you happen to own. For example, if you have small pieces and only a jig saw, but not a bandsaw, a coping saw can get you out of the jam.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman619 View Post
        Three things:
        1) Strengthening your forearms and triceps.
        2) Cutting grievous wound on your off-hand's thumb.
        3) Starting a crooked, half-arsed attempt at separating wood into two pieces.
        Cut should subsequently be finished using a miter saw and/or table saw with a cross-cut guide.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman619 View Post
          yes,

learn how to use them,

If one learns how to use hand tools properly you will better at the power tool use as well,

you take a power saw, it holds your angles it provides power, all one has to do it try to push it, which is great for production work,

but to learn the skill and the feel of the wood learn about hand tools, and one may learn that not ever thing has to be powered, some times it is a real joy to be able to build and make something with electricity,

you watch the new how to shows, and for the most part you never see a hammer used,

I think there are jobs that are many times better done by hand than with power, (if you know how to use both, they will not intimidate you).
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I mainly use a hand saw when cutting rafters and stringers for stairs, to finish the cut since i stop when the front of the blade reaches my line....Some people just cut past the line, but i feel doing so creates a weak point in the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              yes,

learn how to use them,

If one learns how to use hand tools properly you will better at the power tool use as well,

you take a power saw, it holds your angles it provides power, all one has to do it try to push it, which is great for production work,

but to learn the skill and the feel of the wood learn about hand tools, and one may learn that not ever thing has to be powered, some times it is a real joy to be able to build and make something with electricity,

you watch the new how to shows, and for the most part you never see a hammer used,

I think there are jobs that are many times better done by hand than with power, (if you know how to use both, they will not intimidate you).
              haha im good with both kinds of saws but it seems that im getting a bit lazy to acually bust out my hand saw and use it =p

Comment

I have a rough cut I use for general pupose stuff around the house. I have a couple Jap back cut saws for misc stuff including plugs and dowels etc..... I know its sometimes faster for a hand saw than it is to set up a power tool for one cut. If it's a BIG piece, it makes sinse to bring the saw to the work, not the work to the saw.
                I'm not a purist, in fact I think I'm a tool collector first, wood worker second. I sure do like the way they look on my peg board wall though!

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  Three things:
                  1) Strengthening your forearms and triceps.
                  2) Cutting grievous wound on your off-hand's thumb.
                  3) Starting a crooked, half-arsed attempt at separating wood into two pieces.
                  Cut should subsequently be finished using a miter saw and/or table saw with a cross-cut guide.

Maybe you had better stick to computers.

Comment

Working...
                  X