X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking Magazines

If you could only recommend one magazine to someone, which one would it be and why?

In my never-ending quest for more stuff to put in my brain, I thought I'd subscribe to one, and only one magazine. ... at least for now...
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Thats, tuff Dow, I have been trying to figure out which one to "subscribe" to for about a year now. The problem with a mag subscription,is you read it in a couple of hours, and then wait another month for the next. Don't get me wrong I've a couple of each title and read em over and over. Check your Library they may carry one or two titles, at least mine does. So those two are off my list, because when the next one is out I can borrow the last months. Sorry I couldn't recommend any one better than the other!

Comment

Hands down the best mag. to read and learn from
      is Fine Woodwrking. Most of the other ones you'll
      get plans and ideas. Fine woodworking will show
      you the how and why. Some people think that they
      focus to much time on hand tools, but I think it's
      that the other mags don't spend enough time on
      this subject.
      Just my 2ยข.

John
      Eastchester, NY
      " Maybe we should give France back to Germany"

Comment

Hi Dow:

I'd suggest you got to a good mag store and review the latest wordworking mags. This way you can pick and choose

Comment

I have 4 mags in my hands right now. Wood, Woodworkers Journal, American Woodworker, and Fine Woodworking.

They all have their pro's and con's. I would suggest for a beginner that you subscribe to Wood. The price for three years right now is going for $28. It contains a lot of beginner stuff and easy jig and project work to try.

Fine Woodworking dives more heavily into the advanced stuff, and some parts may be hard to understand for a novice. It also costs more for one year than wood does for three.

the others have their strong points, mostly for tool reviews, but I won't subscribe to any of them. I prefer to stop and look at the store and buy it if it has something that may interest me.

HTH

Comment

Dow

I'd have to agree with Mike...For the basics go with Wood, especially with the new subscriber price. They generally have enough varity to give a new woodworker a place to start.

Woodworker's Journal and American Woodwoorker are good also, However I've been disappointed in Woodworker's Journal lately seems like they've kind off lost focus.

Fine Woodworking is "THE" woodworking magazine and they have excellent articles. But my experience is most of the projects are not in the scope of a beginner. Also at $ 40.00 per year it's a little pricy. $ 8.00 per issue off the news stand.

I've taken the money I used to spend on the subscription and buy woodworking books with it. I still by an occassional issue off the news stand if there's somthing I'm especially interested in.

Remember though no matter what magazine or book there isn't any substitute for getting in the shop and, as my Dad used to say, "Making Sawdust".

JimD.

[ 03-04-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: JimD ]
            By my hand As best I can.

Comment

If you could only recommend one magazine to someone

Issue 99 of Fine Woodworking.

Oh, you probably mean one brand of magazine. Like Tonka, my advice is don't do it. Run on down to the newsstand and take your pick. I have copies of American Woodworker, Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, Shop Notes, Workbench, WOOD, Woodsmith, Woodwork, Woodworker's Journal, and probably a half-dozen others around the house. I don't subscribe to any of them.

Pick up the ones that interest you, a subscription is false economy.

Dave
              (in the interest of fairness, the mags are listed in alphabetical order)

Comment

Yeah, what Mike said.
                Fine woodworking is fine, but expensive, as are all mags and books by Taunton, but usually worth it. Mags are the cheapest part of the hobby, but aren't that cheap. If you know you're gonna buy em anyway, save money for tools and wood and get a subscription. The discount is usually huge.
                Rich

Comment

My Wife bought me a subcription to "Popular Woodworking".
                  My first issue had articals on making joints, cutting Dados,and the pros and cons of dyes.
                  Also was a plan for a Stickley Design bookcase, which is perfect for me as I'm restoring a Craftsman style house.
                  Seems aimed at a novice, which I am.
                  I also like the adds, which show me the machines that are out there.
                  Rob J.
                  Orange, Ca.
                  Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Working...
                  X