Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing springs from Craftsman router

Hey everyone,

I've got a Craftsman double base router kit -- I believe it's this one: http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000V...deid=396992011

I've recently built my own router table and would like to use this router in its plunge configuration for the table but I don't know how to remove the springs from it; all the discussions I've seen are about removing springs from dedicated plunge routers (which I'd eventually like to get for my table, but for the time being, I must use this router).

I've posed this question to Sears, but I'm not sure what they're turn-around time is (or if they'll answer a question like this) so I figured I'd pose it here, as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    --Jeff

Re: Removing springs from Craftsman router

I haven't seen this router in person, so I can't help with taking the springs out, but I have a double base Bosch system, and just mounted the fixed base to my router table. Then I just change out the motor for use with the plunge base when using the router handheld.

Comment

I went online to sears parts and looked up my model. The exploded view diagrams should give you a good idea how to remove the springs

Comment

I was going to use the fixed base but it actually doesn't fit due to very low handles :S

I'm using the Lee Valley 9" round plate which mounts from under the table (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43000,51208) and routers with low handles require extra work to fit; I think, after doing the mods, I'd be lacking a decent ledge for the support.

I'm also planning on trying to cannibalize a spreader clamp to use as a router lift linked to a foot pedal; I'll post details if I'm able to get it working.

Anyway; I figured it out. Had to remove a plastic cap on the top of the router base and remove one of those retainer washer-like things where you need to spread it apart to remove it. For those of us who don't have the special tools for this, I found the following worked pretty well:

- grab two jewelery screw drivers which thin enough shafts to fit into the holes of the retainer washer (I don't know what these are actually called...?)
        - put them into the holes, and grab some scrap wood (I used left-over shims) to wedge between the screw driver handles such that they're splayed out at about 45 degrees.
        - compress the end of the screw drivers using the wood as a pivot point which will expand the retainer clip, and then lift up

Essentially I just made a make-shift spreader/plier type tool. It's a pretty obvious solution, but figured I'd mention it in case it might help someone out.

Cheers,
        Jeff

Comment

When you do get a new router you should loot at the Porter-Cable kits they are great. I have been using mine for two yrs and it's the best one I have ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
            I was going to use the fixed base but it actually doesn't fit due to very low handles :S
            Would it work with the fixed base if you just removed the handles?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Would it work with the fixed base if you just removed the handles?
              Likely, yes; one of the nice advantages of the 9" Lee Valley plate, though, is that the router is easily removable from the bottom and can then be used free-hand without any need to remove the plate or anything, so I wanted to keep that versatility.

Although... in retrospect, now that I've removed the springs, the plunge mechanism isn't overly useful after I remove the router from the table, and would require additional work as well, so I guess my point is moot

I usually use the fixed base free-hand, it seems, so I guess I was just trying to keep that base in tact as much as possible.

Cheers,
              --Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
                Anyway; I figured it out. Had to remove a plastic cap on the top of the router base and remove one of those retainer washer-like things where you need to spread it apart to remove it. For those of us who don't have the special tools for this, I found the following worked pretty well:
                Cheers,
                Jeff
                I believe the part you encountered is called a snap ring and can be removed and reinstalled using these snap ring pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  I believe the part you encountered is called a snap ring and can be removed and reinstalled using these snap ring pliers.
                  I can't count the number of times I wished I had one of those pliers. They really are a frustration saver when you need one. They were something I always meant to buy but never seemed to remember to actually purchase. While at the store one day I finally remembered to buy them. A very handy $4 tool.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    A very handy $4 tool.

Yes, Sir!

Comment

Working...
                    X