X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Different Company, But same router!

I wanted to get a 3HP router I found this on but the price is 179.90 is this thing any good, I'm on a buget so I cant really afford a PC or Makita at the moment. It will not get to much thrown at it like a production shop. it will be used just for my little home shop in my 3612 router table wing. Any advice and comments welcome. here is a link

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../marvel60.html

[ 11-27-2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Tim_ber ]

Looks very similar to the Hitachi which is available at Amazon for $159 - also with free shipping. Not sure if the included accessories are equivalent, but the Hitachi claims to include the height adjustment knob which you will want in a router table.

Comment

Tim

Check out heavydutytools.net they are having a great sale that I believe lasts through the weekend. For a dollar more you can get the Makita 3612C which is a proven router (and just about the only one that includes a break) and if you could swing about $50 more you can get the ultimate router for table use, the Milwaukee 5625. Another excellent option would be the DeWalt DW625 from Amazon, $175 delivered to your door, I bought one of these last month and can attest to the fact that it is one smooth and powerful router. I have yet to hear any feedback on the Marvel, it appears no one has yet been daring enough to purchase it when you can take home a proven winner for less, the Hitachi M12V.

Woodslayer

Comment

ByteButcher

You pointed out to me that the marvel 60 from mlcs looks like the hitachi from amazon and you are absolutly correct. then woodslayer recommend I look at the the dewalt Dw625 at amazon and holy crap all three routers after pulling them side by side they all look 99.999% the same.

can someone please tell me what is going on here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...=UTF8&n=228013

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...=UTF8&n=228013

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../marvel60.html

Comment

I was browsing Amazon last night and the Hitachi is an additional $10 off this weekend. Plus you can get another $25 off when you buy $199 (just add a couple bits). There is even a code on the back of the more consumer oriented tools & hardware catalog for $25 off a $125 purchase. That's alot of router for a net $125. Amazon also carries the Freud router which looks the same as well.

Comment

While at first glance the overall appearance of these routers may be similar, that is where the similarities end. They have different speed ranges, plunge stroke length, diameter of hole in base (defining maximum bit diameter), “actual” power under load, weights, number of depth stops, spindle lock button allowing one wrench bit changes, shape of base and cord length just to name a few. Then there are also some ergonomic features to consider such as location of on/off switch, ease and smoothness of plunge mechanism, overall balance, shape and comfort of the handles, and don’t forget dust collection capabilities.

Woodslayer

Comment

I'm on a buget so I cant really afford a PC or Makita at the moment.
              My question is, "can you afford to spend $180 for a router with questionable heritage?" I like MLCS bits for the price, but I can try one out for a few bucks. Does anyone expect the Marvel to be a better router than the Hitachi, Dewalt or Freud for that matter? I'd be inclined to let someone else test the waters....too many other good routers with history on their side.

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer:
                Tim

Check out heavydutytools.net they are having a great sale that I believe lasts through the weekend. For a dollar more you can get the Makita 3612C which is a proven router (and just about the only one that includes a break) and if you could swing about $50 more you can get the ultimate router for table use, the Milwaukee 5625.

Woodslayer
                Where did you see the Milwaukee listed for $230? The one I found is $285.
                Darrell

Comment

Darrell

I just rechecked the email and it was a Friday and Saturday only sale, Milwaukee 5625-20HDT $229.

Woodslayer

Comment

Hey Tim_Ber try this link this is a great place to get stuff cheap. I find some very good deals here just pick your state or city and do a search for what you want
                    some time i have to drive a few miles but always worth going after.good luck
                    http://www.craigslist.com

Comment

Working...
                    X