X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router T&G or table saw??

I have some long boars (6-8ft) X 5/4 that I want to tongue and groove. I have the option of doing it on my router table or table saw. Which would be better for the longer lengths?
    I am liking the bit options that a table mounted router would provide, however I don't know if it (or I) can handle this length.

Thanks

Puppypappa

Re: Router T&G or table saw??

I would prefer using the router table with a couple of featherboards and an outfeed table.

Comment

+1 on killavolt's suggestion.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would use a dado blade on the table saw. Depending on your dimensions for the T&G, it could be done in one pass for each cut of the job. Routers are slower and require multiple passes.

Featherboards could be used to support and guide just as with a router set-up. If you have a table saw outfeed table, then this whole surface combined is going to be longer than a router table. Just my $.02.

Comment

Supporting the board is the key no matter what tool you choose. If you opt for the router I would buy a T&G bit set along with extending the table and using feather boards. If you use the TS you may want to consider building a taller fence (depending on the width of your boards), as well as extending the table and using feather boards

Comment

Working...
          X