X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using router table for barrel sanding

I have a Triton plunge router mounted on my router table and I installed a 2" Dia. drum sander. I am running the router at it's lowest speed. It cuts like a banchee!
    The drum sander is a "Gatorgrit" from the hardware store, and was fairly inexpensive, but the balance at the lowest speed seems fairly reasonable.
    My question is, has anyone else done this, and are there any long term detriments to the router such as bearings etc.?

Re: Using router table for barrel sanding

I would say there could be long term detriment to your well being!
    Min RPM is 8K, likely around 4 X the rated RPM of the sander.
    The bearings in a router are designed for side pressure but if that stem on the sander bends even the slightest bit it will fly out of the router. That much off balance torque may damage the router.

Comment

Set up a camera every time you use it so we can document how your injury occurred

Comment

I take it you don't own a drill press, which is the preferred tool to use for these small drum sanders.

Comment

Last time I heard of something like this, a guy put a 4" grinding disk rated for a few k rpm in a router. Worked great until it disintegrated in a spectacular fashion, tearing his nether regions all asunder, with much blood and gore. Please be careful...

Comment

Routers are ONLY designed to be used with router bits! Please stop using the sanding drum immediatley for your own safety!

Comment

Originally posted by tierraverde@comcast.net View Post
              I have a Triton plunge router mounted on my router table and I installed a 2" Dia. drum sander. I am running the router at it's lowest speed. It cuts like a banchee!
              The drum sander is a "Gatorgrit" from the hardware store, and was fairly inexpensive, but the balance at the lowest speed seems fairly reasonable.
              My question is, has anyone else done this, and are there any long term detriments to the router such as bearings etc.?
              YOW, as other said, stop that now. For the sake of your belly, family jewels, and other areas in that height range....

Here is what you want, if you're determined to use your router table space as a sanding station:
              http://www.woodpeck.com/sander.html

They only produce these 2-3 times a year... You might contact Woodpecker's and see if they had any leftover, as they are only shipping them this coming week. Plus you'd have to buy the P-C Oscillating Sander ($300ish).

Or you could get a stationary, dedicated bench OSS:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...6&marketID=185

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-99179-H.../dp/B00062NEMI

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...adItem=HTC7500

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...dlsndrrvu.html

and many, many other options.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I was a Tool & Die Maker for over 25 years and I understand Safety issues, especially on the subject of R.P.M.'s
                The package on the arbor and drum refills have a warning "not to exceed 25,000 R.P.M. I know my router at the lowest speed is well below this.
                The arbors I'm using are a 2" Dia. and a 1" Dia. I checked concentricity of the arbors prior to giving it the "full on"
                Nevertheless, I'm sure it's not doing the router any good, so I'm going to plunge for the oscillating sander. My only problem with the ones Wood Junkie provided a link to is the table size. I have an assembly, (a quilt rack I'm making that requires sanding after it's been glued together. Since my router table is on the right wing of my Ridgid 3650, I have a huge table to work with.
                Wood Junkie, do you or anyone else have recommendations on the links you provided?
                Thanks to all.

Comment

I have an older Craftsman OSS, that is very similar is size and shape to the Wilton I linked. I cannot speak at all about that Wilton.

I like mine fine, and the table is a good size (probably 14-18" x 24"). It seems like most OSS's now have round tables. Very annoying!

If you're really set on using your router table and the TS top as your work surface, you could:
                  1) Buy the Woodpecker's plate and P-C spindle sander.
                  2) Get a relatively inexpensive OSS and ... umm... resize and repurpose it to fit within a router plate space. In other words, butcher it up and make a pseudo-router table insert.

The Ridgid OSS/belt sander is very well regarded, according to a number of users on this forum. If you search you'll come across some of the threads. The table is not huge, but it is not small.

Comment

Working...
                  X