Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

circle cuts with a jig-saw (in thicker stock)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circle cuts with a jig-saw (in thicker stock)

I know there are things you have to do when cutting large circles with a jig-saw, like making sure the pivot point (center) of the arm you use to cut the circle is at the mid-point of the jig-saw blade. But when cutting a circle in thicker stock (1-5/8 eastern white pine e.g.) how do you keep the jig-saw blade from "flaring" out and cutting a bevel instead of making a consistent perpendicular cut? I just let the flair happen and then sand to a perfect pencil line and use two different straight routers to square up the cut. This is a lot of work (and mess)! Any suggestions? (I have a decent new jig-saw with lots of adjustments, use sharp blades, don't force the work, etc....but I still have problems).

Re: circle cuts with a jig-saw (in thicker stock)

Very good blade, and take it very slow.

That's pretty much all I've got. I'm big on Bosch blades when it comes to jigsaw.

do you use orbital cutting while doing this?

Comment

If you're not already using one of these, you might want to try one of the stouter Bosch blades like their T234X or T308B.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
        I know there are things you have to do when cutting large circles with a jig-saw, like making sure the pivot point (center) of the arm you use to cut the circle is at the mid-point of the jig-saw blade. But when cutting a circle in thicker stock (1-5/8 eastern white pine e.g.) how do you keep the jig-saw blade from "flaring" out and cutting a bevel instead of making a consistent perpendicular cut? I just let the flair happen and then sand to a perfect pencil line and use two different straight routers to square up the cut. This is a lot of work (and mess)! Any suggestions? (I have a decent new jig-saw with lots of adjustments, use sharp blades, don't force the work, etc....but I still have problems).
        Don't push it. Let the saw and blade do all the work in the time it needs. Hurrying and forcing the blade causes a lot of the blade deflection.
        I find for curve cutting the orbital action is counter-productive.

Comment

BD: I love your new "job". Do you need an assistant? Maybe a Mn. rep?

Comment

PK, you gots da job!! You'll fit right in, what with that bitchin ride you got.

Comment

We locals don't take 38!!

Comment

Nobody else will but I think I get it........

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                  Very good blade, and take it very slow.

That's pretty much all I've got. I'm big on Bosch blades when it comes to jigsaw.

do you use orbital cutting while doing this?

I used new, heavy Bosch blades in my Bosch jig-saw set on max orbital cut.
                  Maybe very slow is the only way.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                    Don't push it. Let the saw and blade do all the work in the time it needs. Hurrying and forcing the blade causes a lot of the blade deflection.
                    I find for curve cutting the orbital action is counter-productive.
                    I almost couldn't move the jig-saw without the orbital action on so your suggestion is an interesting one. I'll try that again next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X