X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on miter saw.

I've searched all over the web but can't find this info.

What's the difference and benifits of:

Dual vs. Single compond miter saw?
    Dual vs. Single bevel miter saw?

And what do they mean by "sliding"?
    Thanks

Re: Question on miter saw.

Click on the link, welcome and good luck.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...smitersaw.html

Comment

Awesome link, thanks!

It doesn't seem to mention the single and double bevel. Any idea what that is?
      Last edited by strum; 09-17-2009, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Compound means it cuts both miter and bevel cuts. If it is a dual compound, it will cut bevels and miters in both directions. Very nice to have if you do a lot of crown molding. All single or double bevel means is that you can angle the blade from vertical in either one (single), or both (double), directions.
        Last edited by 3rdtime; 09-17-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Here's (hopefully) a clear explanation. This description assumes you lay a board flat down on the table of the saw.

If you are looking at the front of a miter saw with it aimed directly at your chest, and you:

>> *turn* the blade in one direction or the other (so now, let's say, it's pointing straight at your left arm, instead of your chest), that is a miter cut. You've rotated the blade and will make an angled cut, but it will still be a vertical cut.

>> *lean* the blade to one side or the other (so now, let's say, it's still pointed at your chest, but on a line from your left shoulder to your right knee. Diagonally). That is a bevel cut. You've tilted the blade and your cut will not be vertical. It will still be straight across the width.

If you do both at the same time, a mitered and beveled cut, that is also called a compound cut. You wind up with an angled, tilted cut.

In 2-3 years I don't think I've ever done a compound cut. It is normally used only if you are cutting crown molding by laying it flat. If you lean it against the fence (properly) you don't need to do a compound cut. You would just do a miter cut.

The "dual" bevel and miter just mean that it will rotate both ways and/or tilt both ways.

If the blade mechanism can be pulled towards you and pushed back away from you (not just raised and lowered), then it is a slider. A sliding miter saw has the advantage of being able to cut wider boards. Typical capacity of a 10" non-sliding miter saw is a 2x6, laid flat. A sliding 10" miter saw will normally cut a 2x10, sometimes a 2x12, depending on the brand/model.

HTH

Comment

Perfect, thanks for the responce.

This explains everything perfectly

Comment

Well I went to the hardware store and picked up a new passenger.. The freeway was fun

Comment

Congrats but there is something wrong with the color of your passenger

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
                  Thanks!
                  Yeah sometimes you have to take what you can get

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
                    Agree, that orange seems to have faded to a bright yellow.
                    Must have got too much sun.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wish Ridgid did sell a 10" sliding version. It would go well with my R83015, R4516, and R8841.

This one had all the features I could possibly think of and it was much cheaper then I was expecting for a sliding model.

Comment

Working...
                      X