Miter Saw arbor washers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw arbor washers

I have a 10 inch SCMS that I brought over from the UK, and I need to change, or at least sharpen the blade. The kicker is that even though it is a 10 inch blade, it is designed for 1 inch arbor. It's a store own brand, probably made by TTI or whomever in China. No brand website, no help from original vendor (the strikingly HD-like B&Q).

So I figured out how to get the blade off (thinking sharpening was the way forward), which was an art in itself. Having got the blade off, I notice it actually has a 5/8 arbor, just like any other here in the US, and it is one of the arbor pressure washers that has a detent in the flat sides to fit a 1 inch hole in the blade.

So my question is, anyone know where I can get a replacement arbor washer? It needs a 5/8 hole in it, and be approx 1/4 inch thick, and about 1.5 inches in overall diameter. Thanks in advance...

Re: Miter Saw arbor washers

If I understand you correctly, you're looking to replace that existing blade, which has a 1-inch arbor hole and am adaptive washer to make it fit on the existing 5/8-inch, standard-sized arbor of your model saw. So, now you need a compatible arbor washer instead of the 1-inch to 5/8-inch adapter.... is that correct?

I would think that any 5/8-inch arbor washer would do, and I'm wondering it the outside diameter really would matter all that much, as long as it was "close". In which case, I'd attempt to compare it with something on the market here and then see if you could just order the part from whatever the particular brand source might be. (For example, if it looks similar to a Ryobi or Ridgid or Bosch, then order it from that particular parts source.)

I don't recall ever seeing arbor washers directly for sale at the local hardware source, so I quite imagine you're going to have to do some comparison.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 09-19-2009, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      If I understand you correctly, you're looking to replace that existing blade, which has a 1-inch arbor hole and am adaptive washer to make it fit on the existing 5/8-inch, standard-sized arbor of your model saw. So, now you need a compatible arbor washer instead of the 1-inch to 5/8-inch adapter.... is that correct?

I would think that any 5/8-inch arbor washer would do, and I'm wondering it the outside diameter really would matter all that much, as long as it was "close". In which case, I'd attempt to compare it with something on the market here and then see if you could just order the part from whatever the particular brand source might be. (For example, if it looks similar to a Ryobi or Ridgid or Bosch, then order it from that particular parts source.)

I don't recall ever seeing arbor washers directly for sale at the local hardware source, so I quite imagine you're going to have to do some comparison.

I hope this helps,

CWS
      Exactly right, I hadn't considered the existing arbor washer as an adaptor, but that is essentially what it is.

I took a trip into HD this evening and had a shufti. One of the Makitas seemed similar, so perhaps that's a route to take. I didn't expect them to carry such parts, but I had an optimistic look anyway. I suppose the real answer is to take the existing parts to a local service place and see what they have that is similar.

I suppose I could just trash the saw and buy a RIDGID for $549 (that I don't want to spend!). But then this saw is 220V, a 12 inch slider, and is generally OK. The laser is the most useless piece of junk I have ever seen, but the basic saw is powerful and has a large capacity.

Thanks for the reply and putting it into perspective.

Comment

Roadster,

I'm glad I was able to help, even if just this little bit. Yes, it sounds like there is nothing odd about the saw at all... just they had an unusual (for the U.S. anyway) blade on it (1" arbor) and had to come up with something to make it fit the smaller, most often used, 5/8" arbor. Seems like an odd approach from my limited point of view, but I'm not familier with practices there.

The laser, IMO, is just a gimmicky add-on with a lot of tools. I have yet to see an application that has left me with a positive impression. I have one on my Ridgid 10" CMS. It's worthless in daylight, blinding in dull light, and even when the ambient light is perfect, it's good for only a rough estimate, as the blade kerf is an 1/8" or so to the right of where the laser falls. Not worth replacing the batteries, IMO.

I have too other laser tools... a level that is only accurate to 3/8" over a 15 ft span (in which case, it's not level and therefore worthless) and a Jig saw where the beam moves 15 degrees to the left of the blade path due to vibration. (I put electrical tape over it, almost immediately.) I'm waiting for one of these manufacturers to come out with a laser-guided hammer or screwdriver.)

Good luck on getting a new arbor washer. I think you are on the right track and hopefully it will be an easy task.

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X