Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending wood?

Hi Folks,

I'm building a medium size trellis for a wisteria in my backyard. I'm using rough redwood 4x4 for the posts and 2x2 for the top grill section. This was going to be a quick project.

Then I thought, why not make it a little bit interesting and curve the roof a bit.

Here is an example.. How is that bend done? If it's simple i might try it with my 2x2 redwood. I'm not looking for half a circle, just a small curve.

Thanks

Re: Bending wood?

I would saw it out,

or if you want to bend it, I would saw it in 1/4 thick sections and then bend and glue it back together, you may still need heat if the bend is of any amount.

the red would I think would turn black if you soak or steam it,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

+1 on the 1/4" sections

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        the red would I think would turn black if you soak or steam it,
        Is this true? I don't know anything about redwood, but if it doesn't take to water well, isn't it a poor choice for an outside trellis, then?

--Jeff

Comment

For a short curve about 4' wide I would just cut a 2 X 12 and make the most out of the arc given those dimensions. If a larger arc is desired than glue lamination or steam bending are the only other options unless you join two 2X12' and then cut the arc but we are starting to get into wasting a fair bit of wood.

Comment

the wood is very rot restraint,

I once worked on a home and the roof deck, all heart clear red wood, and the roofer messed up on the sky lights and there were some leaks and it water stained a black color where it got wet, and the water dripped, they sanded on it for days trying to lighten it.

when in the weather normally it will gray,
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks folks. I was afraid I would have to build a steam box and go through all that mess. Don't think it's worth is considering the trellis is only 10' by 5'. (the curved roof would go in the 5' direction).

If I cut it out of 2x12 then I would need about five of them, one for every two feet and that's alot of wasted redwood

Think I will just do the square roof pattern and live with that.

Thanks again.

Edit: I might practice with the 1/4 inch bend and glue method on some scraps. Not sure I want to go through cutting so many 1/4 strips.... Not sure my table saw can do strips that small also.. need to try that out.
              Last edited by strum; 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

It is likely you'll waste less redwood by cutting it out of the 2x12's. Remember that if you cut out 1/4" strips you're wasting 1/8" for each strip or about 1/3 of the wood. You'll also need to build a form, and get a bunch of clamps.

Your saw should do it, I have cut strips about an 1/8" from red oak on my TS3650 which I used for a lamination in my daughter's high chair.

Here are some pictures: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...221#post182221

Comment

Originally posted by strum View Post
                  Thanks folks. I was afraid I would have to build a steam box and go through all that mess. Don't think it's worth is considering the trellis is only 10' by 5'. (the curved roof would go in the 5' direction).

If I cut it out of 2x12 then I would need about five of them, one for every two feet and that's alot of wasted redwood

Think I will just do the square roof pattern and live with that.

Thanks again.

Edit: I might practice with the 1/4 inch bend and glue method on some scraps. Not sure I want to go through cutting so many 1/4 strips.... Not sure my table saw can do strips that small also.. need to try that out.
                  While you are at it, try some 3/4" strips. The amount of curve you are talking about in a five foot distance should be easily accomplished if you are using clear redwood.

Comment

Remember that if you cut out 1/4" strips you're wasting 1/8" for each strip or about 1/3 of the wood.
                    That's the plus of having a bandsaw in the shop. The thin knerf blade wastes less than half of what a rotary blade does. This is the same reason that the mills use bandsaws for most cutting now. They can get another board or two out of a log with a bandsaw.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you use the 2x12s or what ever one can square up the edges and glue it up with a water poof glue, and continue to cut the arches, the bottom of or wast from the bottom with a little re trim become the top of the next and the top edges of can become the bottom of another, very little wast,
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking at the pic in the first post I really think that arch is cut from a 2X12. If it is a 2X2 curve then you can get 9.75" of arc out of a 2X12.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X